What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Managed to get to all 4 apiries today in glorious sunshine and 13 degrees
All bees flying
No winter losses
Very happy .......

Stood in apiary and watched hives and nucs bringing in pollen on a warm (8C) sunny day...
Mainly crocus from the look of things...one bee per crocus in some clumps...

Whoopee...we are surviving ...so far.

All 3 hives very busy today....orientation flights and some bees bringing in dark orange and lemon coloured pollen.

Cycled up to the apiary. Bees busy (T. 11C) but sparse pollen despite copious catkins. On return found SHMBO had prepared curry for lunch - 1 hour before my dental appointment....

Checked all hives yesterday and had one loss with what looked like a Virgin dlq and very few bees with some signs of nosema.this was a double brood that I didn't feed thymol as there were plenty of stores.a couple more colonies were weak but I expected it with problems with them last season and late requeening.most colonies normal size for time of year but a couple of large July swarms are very strong.

I was planning on looking in the tops of my hives today , i think if i took the roofs off i would never see them again, Dam wind! Is michael fish doing the forecasts agajn? I didnt see this hurricane coming!!

No losses, laying queens and BIAS in both colonies.
Didn't feed all winter and it paid off lots of space for brood and still a couple of frames of stores.
The relief is palpable!!

Blowing here too.
Took three nadired supers off and changed floors, two more to come off tomorrow

Took the rest of mine off today too. I looked at the outer frames of just one hive to get an idea of how the hefted weight corresponds to actual stores and realised that apart from 3, they probably don't actually need any fondant!

Did a bit of tidying up at the Brynmair apiary - not a particularly sunny or warm day (10-12 degrees with a chilly wind) but bees out busily collecting water.
Bit of a to-do at the chickenarium actually - one of the new Black Rock hens has laid her first egg and the old stagers are not at all pleased - they've spent most of the day chasing the new birds away from the coop - so she laid it in the run!

Topped and trimmed all the apiary hedges - knackered but quite pleased with the outcome actually.
As Helen Yemm once wrote on the Telegraph gardening pages - 'there's nothing quite so pleasing as looking at a neatly trimmed box'. :eek:

15c breezy...beautiful evening

Today checked and confirmed loss of Warre :-( Broke down & took home to be cleaned....hive not me :)

National very busy with Lemon & Orange pollen coming in, taking lots of water nearby. Need to remove nadired super possibly tomorrow.

Plan for my first split...

Now (and next)

Observed entrances this morning (plenty of pollen coming in),easy to see because of slight congestion from entrance blocks now back in to help heat conservation/ brood rearing. Topped up the the drinkers with rainwater (potting compost in gravel trays, up to a dozen bees on each despite there being streams, bird-baths etc all around us.)

p.m. put queen excluders and the first couple of supers on. All lovely tempered, flying happily, looking good.

What's next? proper inspections in a week or two, uncapping stores around the brood nest to encourage them to move the surplus upstairs and expand the brood, identifying dud brood frames for removal (& moving to the outside) or marking colony for a Bailey comb-change when the weather and colony strength come right.

Last edited:
p.m. put queen excluders and the first couple of supers on.
:eek:

Have I stepped into the matrix or something? - or is there a cheshire in new Zealand?

All lovely tempered, flying happily, looking good.

Not for long with all that space to heat up and after being fiddled around with at this time of year! - not really any point putting the entrance blocks back in 'to aid heat conservation' was there?

Last edited:
p.m. put queen excluders and the first couple of supers on. All lovely tempered, flying happily, looking good.

What's next? proper inspections in a week or two, .

Your proper inspection might reveal a diminished colony shivering in the late march winds.

What's next? proper inspections in a week or two, uncapping stores around the brood nest to encourage them to move the surplus upstairs and expand the brood, identifying dud brood frames for removal (& moving to the outside) or marking colony for a Bailey comb-change when the weather and colony strength come right.

Far too early for supers ... there's no nectar down here on the South Coast and Cheshire is usually at least three weeks behind us. I'd get those supers off tomorrow or take the frames out and fill them with insulation. Usual beekeepers rule of thumb is first inspection when you can comfortably do it in shirt sleeves or a tee shirt. April in Cheshire ??? You will still need your thermals on ...

Sound boxes and small entrances won't let draughts in, my varroa floors have the slot over the board filled and are on enclosed hive stands, queen excluders - with some wax between the wires - will reduce convection above the cluster (and that's not so different to a wild colony with unoccupied unused stores up above them anyway) and it's the way I usually do it, although I admit maybe a week or two earlier this year.

I have considered putting a 9 or 10" square of flexible plastic over the top of a colony when putting extra supers on, so they only go up round the sides of it when they are ready - a semi-commercial man near here used them over the brood chamber instead of queen excluders. This would stop warm air convecting up away from the cluster if I'd used them instead.

I go with the weather... I believe east Scotland was warmest today, this evening the forecast shows 9 for London and Cardiff, 11 for Edinburgh, so it might still be winter with you but it's not here. I was gardening in shirt sleeves and wouldn't have done anything to the hives if it had been cold and horrible and they hadn't been flying well.

The reason I super early is to ensure that they always have enough space and never feel cramped, and I think that as a consequence I don't suffer from early swarms and it might also help explain why I usually get a belting honey crop - a good proportion of it in the spring.

Yes, I'm also a 3-hive owner now, but with 4 nucs on standby... but at some time in my 35 years with bees I've been up to 12 hives.

Last edited:
Well .. each to their own ... certainly not my way .. Derek M will be along with the maths shortly no doubt ! Good luck .. if it works for you who am I to suggest otherwise. :calmdown:

Latest posts

Back