What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wandered up to the woods to drop off a couple of hives which may be used as bait hives later in the spring. Thought I'd have a quick look as the weather was warming up and sunny. I wanted to check to see if they've started to draw comb in the super, which they have.

Both myself and Village Girl made a start on our new apiary site. Lots of deer about so will have to erect some fencing around hives. Fences will be constructed out of natural materials from the site. Will put six hives in for this coming season. About 300 yards to the south of the main apiary is a nice spot to put some mating nucs, it is well sheltered from the elements with dappled shade. Appears to be plenty of early pollen, hope the nectar is just as plentiful.

Last edited:
That's one hive stand done, five to go ;)
What a lovely site you have, is it on your land?

I have my hives in a field near a pond on slightly uneven ground so husband made hive stand by driving fence posts into the ground and making a platform on top. Absolutely immoveable!!!

Going to check today whether a 'suspect Qless' hive has used the BIAS I offered last week. Still a dilemma as no drones yet. May just dump those Q cells - if present , and give more BIAS, to keep them ticking over till drones emerging generally. It may prevent them becoming DLW.

I have no suitable hive to join them to as they are on 5 frames and only hive near enough is very big and doesn't need the extra.

stood and watched them while drinking coffee. nothing else to do atm .
both clusters are visible through the entrance and oddly both seem to prefer the right hand side of the box.
i left one cold way and the other warm way but as people have said it has made no difference at all.
moving them to OSR fields soon so i will have plenty to do then.

I took an empty hive up ready to relocate the colony trying to burst out of a nuc box. Also put some fondant on one of the other colonies as a precaution. Need some warm weather now!

Going to check today whether a 'suspect Qless' hive has used the BIAS I offered last week. Still a dilemma as no drones yet. May just dump those Q cells - if present , and give more BIAS, to keep them ticking over till drones emerging generally. It may prevent them becoming DLW.

I have no suitable hive to join them to as they are on 5 frames and only hive near enough is very big and doesn't need the extra.

Trouble is that drones won't be mature until a couple of weeks from hatching, so the colony will continue going downhill unless it worth introducing a laying queen.

Not exactly in the apiary. Killed a queen wasp in the downstairs loo. First one of the year. Just heard something in the chimney! Not dealing with that now!

That's one hive stand done, five to go ;)
What a lovely site you have, is it on your land?

I have my hives in a field near a pond on slightly uneven ground so husband made hive stand by driving fence posts into the ground and making a platform on top. Absolutely immoveable!!!

Hi Erica, No not our land unfortunately but we are very lucky to have permission to use it for the bees. There are several acres of grassland and woodland with no public access. Will start with 6 hives and also will put some mating nucs on another part of the site.

Would love to see some pics of the stands your husband made if possible
Paul

Trouble is that drones won't be mature until a couple of weeks from hatching

I reckon it is more like five weeks - 3 weeks to emergence and then a couple to mature.

Watched masses of bees doing orientation flights outside 1 hive, (must be the first of the spring brood) loads of different coloured pollen going in so they are well on their way to becoming a strong colony

Like yesterday, watched the rain.. all day today.

Rained all day here also so spent my time designing and making a national floor from recycled pallets etc.

And yes... that hive now has developed a Q cell, capped and carefully made.. Shame - too early, but if I allow her to hatch and develop, then as she prob wont get mated, I can offer another frame of BIAS in 2 weeks and they can start again (after I bump her off)..then the next Q may have decent chance of drone zone.
But hopefully the Q pheromone will block and DLW... fingers crossed.

Inspected 2 Nationals yesterday - brood on 8 and 9 frames respectively which is most I can recall seeing at this time of year......

Here you are, Outlander.
Fence posts and good strong tanalised pallets.

They look really strong, may try that myself on the next two. There are some big deer about on our new site so needs something sturdy. Strapped to the pallets should be safe I think. Thanks for the pics.

Paul

Latest posts

Back