What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well ,visited the apiary this morning, all okay :) I needn't have bothered as the farmers wife had checked on my hives whilst checking her poultry arks both at midnight and for the last time when red alert was demoted to Amber!
Considering the ferocity of the wind plus it veering from Southerly to due West and my part of Lancashire having an open aspect to the coast, very little damage done .Ive seen much more damage from much lighter gales in the past!
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

good to hear, glad all ok!

Checked mine over - all O.K. it is a nice sheltered spot where they are now, regardless of wind direction.
A few came out for a nose - especially during the photo shoot for the local rag (doing a feature on my trip to Lesotho nexrt week)

OH (very allergic) has had to fight her way through hundreds of bees helping themselves to ground maize poultry feed in the nice weather.

Put her on lisinopril .Never looked back :) mind you I only had exaggerated local reactions for donkeys' years
VM

They're the very ones boyyo !
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

65year old apple tree discovered at 30ish degrees after a battering from wind, it has one of my hives right in its trajectory path! I have put an accrow up against it for now, I'm not enjoying the thought of moving the hive at this time of year I shifted it a little probably 9-10" keeping the orientation, now I have to decide whether or not to try and rescue it by cutting it right down to a viable stump with suckers or remove it, it is semi hollow, and none of the girls have ever taken up residence, if it were to be inhabited similarly to Pete D's Ladies tree I would keep it out of intrigue!.

Saver 5 colonies in their hives from the rapidly rising flooding Fowey in Lehrryn Cornwall this afternoon.
Bee-keepers at last !

Went to sort through the wreckage and make everything safe. Had a quick look at the nuc, plenty of capped stores visible and the bees look happy mooching about.

Got things ready for my Africa absence bee sitter - plenty of supers made up (half and half drawn and foundation) ready to go if the bees build up early, spare brood boxes etc made accessible, all hives with plenty of stores apart from one nuc which will get a fondant top-up before I go. Less than a week now!

Waded through a small lake to get to the hives, all flying well today. Some pollen but not much considering the sun. One hive had fondant put on and that's me done for the next couple of weeks until we get back from holiday.

Spent last night in hospital after my finger swelled up like a sausage, from a hawthorn tip snapped off in it. May have to have an op to remove the thorn tomorrow.

Spent last night in hospital after my finger swelled up like a sausage, from a hawthorn tip snapped off in it. May have to have an op to remove the thorn tomorrow.

It's usually blackthorn that gives really bad infections. Nasty old business!

It's usually blackthorn that gives really bad infections. Nasty old business!

It sure can, especially dry ones.

1000x1000.jpg

Hope the finger gets well soon Craig.

The old countrymens solution was to let it fester and when it did the bit would come out with the pus. Glad we have moved on nowadays :)

10 Deg. No rain or Wind--Yippee.
Can't see the front of all 4 hives for bees waiting to get in through the mouseguards.
Rain forecast for tomorrow though.

Hefted hive, and recorded a weight of 35kg, (4kg consumed in 10 days!).

Very busy day for the girls, the most active I've seen them all year (2014), and since September/October 2013.

recorded a small 1 minute portion, and some pollen going in.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdG2r0yPKr0"]Colony of Honey Bees bringing pollen into the hive in February 2014 - YouTube[/ame]

Back