What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now theres an old joke "Theres a terrific Draught in here" !

VM

been to pay the bees a visit today, all hives alive so far. They will be getting a visit soon so `i can treat them, and put a lump of fondant on. I am now sitting down with a bottle of "rosey nosey" and hope it does what it says lol.

Put fondant on.

Found that my windbreak has been completely destroyed by the recent weather. Oh well.

M

photo-41.jpg
Put oxalic acid on both hives today. One lot seem to be near the bottom of the hive and torpid (as I expected)... but there was a rush of warm air when the hive opened.
The other they were near the top... a few flew around and one stung my assistant on the elbow! I did not expect that at 5 deg C.
400g of fondant on both as a Christmas present... they have both been very good this year.

Last edited:
Break a leg, JBM; Happy Christmas. And to everyone.

Took the board out for the last time for several months. Light fall of white cappings-I think consumption is v low in a poly at the monent- no sign of brooding and no mites. Not a bad way to start the year.

photo-41.jpg
Put oxalic acid on both hives today. One lot seem to be near the bottom of the hive and torpid (as I expected)... but there was a rush of warm air when the hive opened.
The other they were near the top... a few flew around and one stung my assistant on the elbow! I did not expect that at 5 deg C.
400g of fondant on both as a Christmas present... they have both been very good this year.

The ones well down probably have lots of stores above them!
The ones near the top will appreciate the fondant !
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Put fondant on all, in both apiaries. Some a bit lighter than others but all sorted now for a while anyway. I can now concentrate on the festivities.
Happy Christmas to everyone.

Walk across the field to check on the hives, both still on top of the stand after all this wind, poly NUC will get a post Xmas gift of some fondant, large hive still heavy but placing some fondant on as insurance,

Gave them some fondant, lovely day too

Grr - a stethoscope? Another bit of kit to buy on eBay! :thanks:

Two of mine went over in the winds on Xmas Eve - one OK but the other was drenched and very dead. :(

Back