What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Supered both hives without excluders. Hoping 3 supers per hive is enough as I can't afford more equipment just yet. Although, I do have a spare kidney

Sent from my XT615 using Tapatalk 2

Read an article, watched a vid suggesting sumac (stags horn)seed pods added to smoker calm the most angry bees!
I also read that the same seeds are used in a 'tea' to introduce calm in the human species!
Does it actually work on the bees or does it just tranquilize the bk to the point that he doesn't care?

Does it actually work on the bees or does it just tranquilize the bk to the point that he doesn't care?

Gin does that for me: no need for a smoker..

I prefer rotten birch wood in smoker: easier to light.

Late evening inspection to avoid the neighbours - it's getting difficult to spot eggs in the twilight. Both hives doing well. One has a preference for making cups, the other for storing nectar (and has started filling a few cells in the super). I'll be keeping a close eye on the former - they seem reluctant to explore the super.

Supered both hives without excluders.

Yes, I did that with my 14 x 12s and both queens went straight up :(
However, I have been looking, without any luck the last two inspections, for one unmarked queen and paying great attention to all the threads re AS no queen found; lo and behold she was easy to spot on the super frame :)

Yes, I did that with my 14 x 12s and both queens went straight up :(
However, I have been looking, without any luck the last two inspections, for one unmarked queen and paying great attention to all the threads re AS no queen found; lo and behold she was easy to spot on the super frame :)

I don't mind her going up. If she needs the space then fine, I'm just worried about needing extra supers. Mind you, I have a birthday coming up :winner1st:

It's Mid May and this morning I had to give them syrup as they were low on stores. Not just me either - spoke to another local beekeeper who had to do the same. Dull, wet and cool here today in the North West although it does say it will brighten up later.

did an inspection yesterday as we are off to france for a week on Thursday so the only chance i will get got 1 sting on my leg through jeans later on one of the little darlings spotted me in the garden with no bee suit on while i was planting some runner beans and decided to sting me on the face dont you just love these unsociable gits lol so off on holiday with a swollen face last year i got a sting right on the end of my nose the day before we went away

Nowt, nix, nothing, nada:(

It has been persisting down with rain for the last two days and the maximum day temp has been 11C - back to winter and not a bee in sight:hairpull:

Nowt, nix, nothing, nada:(

It has been persisting down with rain for the last two days and the maximum day temp has been 11C - back to winter and not a bee in sight:hairpull:
Thanks for that MJBee we are going to complete on the purchase of our holiday cottage in Bellac Limogues on thursday and was hoping for good weather :thanks: :rolleyes:

Sorry to dampen your day Stephen - temperatures from 11C to 17C and turning more showery rather than continuous rain. My bees are going bonkers on Broom at the moment and flying every second it aint raining so it's not all bad.

You are about 35 miles NE of us - quite a few Brit beeks in the area. Feel free to drop in if you get the time.

Mike

It's Mid May and this morning I had to give them syrup as they were low on stores. Not just me either - spoke to another local beekeeper who had to do the same. Dull, wet and cool here today in the North West although it does say it will brighten up later.

Doing the same here. And our Association apiary 5 miles away was the same two weeks ago..

Topped up all feeders yesterday as forecast for the rest of the week is 8-10C and more rain...
Split I did 3 weeks ago is doing well - I think. Too cold to look.

Made up some more frames and painted more hive parts - winter jobs suitable for the weather.

Two swarms shot out as soon as the rain eased, got rather wet collecting them....

......it's dire here, cold, wet and windy...but enough of my symptoms.

Chris

Two swarms shot out as soon as the rain eased, got rather wet collecting them....

......it's dire here, cold, wet and windy...but enough of my symptoms.

Chris

We sent you some proper English weather so you do not get too homesick.

at 1930 hours stood watching the bees flying in and out of all hives.Surprised aren't you as this is half way through a patrol! Just been sent home as my skipper has decided that the back injury I sustained during a bit of 'excitement' at work some time ago is now of concern so is demanding a new medical certificate and assesments, just because I have to sleep on the floor as the mattresses on board are so old and knackered I can't get comfortable.
Ah well at least if the nice weather we're having lasts until Sunday I'll be there for the beginners firs apiary day to meet my new vict.. err I mean mentees :D

We sent you some proper English weather so you do not get too homesick.

After 3 days of continuous rain , 5 and half inches in the gauge , water spouting out of the mole hills you can keep the English weather . Cleared to a fog in the afternoon yesterday , bees were that desperate they were flying in the fog !!! This morning lots of activity around the bait hive , fingers crossed , bees to swarm this week .
If it stops raining .

This morning lots of activity around the bait hive , fingers crossed , bees to swarm this week .
If it stops raining .

Nothing like quoting your own post .
Bees swarmed this afternoon , saw them go , not to the bait hive that would be too simple , no , up an Oak tree , scaffolding up and in a cardboard box , will try and walk them up tonight , weather dependant .

Latest posts

Back