What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you sure you want to increase from this hive if they are so bad tempered?

She has many traits that I want to keep (productive, lovely white wax, operates at -5c....etc etc), so I'm going to try and breed the aggression out.

Bee keeping is never easy, whilst putting the hive back together last week I forgot to put the queen excluder in, so now I have a double brood and a half, I will be splitting the hive when it's ready as I have BIAS in all three boxes.

Bee keeping is never easy, whilst putting the hive back together last week I forgot to put the queen excluder in, so now I have a double brood and a half, I will be splitting the hive when it's ready as I have BIAS in all three boxes.

You need more colonies, focusses the mind.

Chris

Watched my bees little faces looking out but not wanting to venture into the yet another cold, wet and miserable day. Probably feel like me and wished I lived somewhere else :(

Just tinkered in the workshop today, cleaning a poly hive up etc. as the weather was not conducive to anything else.

Yesterday we inspected 8 hives, and it's amazing how last years testy colonies have turned into pussy cats this year. A couple were so bad they nearly had the queen squished, it just goes to show what a shortage of forage does for a hive.

went to put a few supers on yesterday and forgot the queen excluders doh

Moved the other 3 up to their 3 week(ish) holiday home in the OSR fields. Half an hour of orientation and they were off, bringing in the goodness as fast as their little wings could carry them. Methinks they'll not be venturing much beyond these 2 huge fields, edged with sycamore and right next to an SSSI meadow, anytime soon. Happy bees! :)

Hmmm... might be a good time to shift the 8/9 framers up to 12 deep?

Early start 6 a.m. to close a hive for move to OSR. While at the site decided to have a peek at the others. Hey ho, nice fat QC's... Cheeky artificial swarm before breakfast.

Anneka Rice on Radio2 commenting on people getting up at unearthly hour on a Saturday. Shall I text her? A day in the life of a beekeeper :)

I bit my nails and rocked quietly in a corner

Anneka Rice on Radio2 commenting on people getting up at unearthly hour on a Saturday. Shall I text her? A day in the life of a beekeeper :)

Ha!! Got up about 1 this afternoon, but then again didn't hit my bunk 'til eight this morning!!

Quick inspection of all my hives today just to see if they were thinking of swarming. The only one which gave me some initial concern was the hive I have near 3 large fields of OSR.

Hundreds of bees crawling over the front and side of the hive. On inspection found no signs of any queen cells or even play cups. Despite the weather recently they have been busy collecting the OSR nectar so much so I could bearly lift the brood and half colony.

Gave them another chamber (White deep langstroth) to expand into. Hoping its a good crop this year.

http://youtu.be/1ohwllpnowA
Short video of the outside of the hive after inspecting them.

All three hives now definitely brood and a half... not bad for fifths of colony a year ago... queen cell visible last week has been torn down.

Last edited:
Inspected yesterday. A week of bad weather has kept them inside and plotting. So AS'd one hive. Hoping for warmer weather and plenty of forage next week. Couple of fields of OSR near me, but most seems to have been ploughed back in..........

Found a biggish swarm under a hive stand amongst a pile of floors !
Put a nuc hive of foundation on the flagstone (after removing stand/floors ,) chucked swarm on the flagstone in front of the nuc swept/ shook bees from floors ! Didn't take long for them to enter the nuc . :D
Come on Neil ! Your bees await :D
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Extraction in guest field, tommorow starts madness at my field ( second extraction this year).. After catastrophic beginning some acacia survived and it seems I fill some barrels.. I am pleasantly surprised..
After this next is linden. But linden is such a "princess" so I don't expect for it something important.. That is unpredictable.. So this season seems not to be so bad as last year.
Already made some splits ( yesterday 2)..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back