What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made a hive stand

Decided I'd enough of long grass around the hives, and getting buzzed whilst strimming the breeze block stands. I had planned to make a bridge with these 2 pieces of oak, but I guess using them up means I can order some curved ones and make a "Monet bridge" for the lilley pool!

Inspected "the beast" today. Double brood nearly full up. Queen is a bitch, she has to go. Horrible bees, nasty pingy things.

Looked up to see the backdoor of the industrial workshop 5 yards away was open and a golden retriever was looking at me a few feet away. Not good when working on "the beast." Luckily no stings for the doggie but worried me a bit. Must remember to check first and make sure the door is shut.
Cazza

Started to prepare for a nuc. Can't wait to get some more bees. May lift my spirits a bit well, quite a lot really! Cheers to 'mike a' forum member for the couple of hours yesterday. Really enjoyed donning my bee suit again. Roll on.

Checked on my bees both hives had brood in all stages, estimate 4 capped frames of brood and half new eggs. Felt uneasy removing two frames of stores as was fresh nectar in quite a few so replaced one frame of stores in each hive with undrawn super frame then put undrawn super under each hive. Made a doughnut mistake and forgot to put poly frame rails on so couldn't out the super under one. Also replaced 18 inch hive stands with new not as high and with a landing board.

All candline gold put on a week ago 500g was gone and one hive had decided to start building wild comb where it sat.

Cazza

You really have to get rid of her with strangers/3rd parties so close.......a bunch of children may turn up there when you're in the middle of an inspection.

After getting a super on one colony yesterday, I went to another out apiary and had to get a super on one colony and rehouse an overwintered nuc into a national hive.
I couldnt believe how well they were progressing and how much they were bringing in from surrounding gardens etc.

Do queens change colour as they age, does anyone know? Hive with nice huge dark red queen in the Autumn had big very pale queen when I opened up today for first inspection. Not going to complain as everything fine but I am a bit bemused!

Do queens change colour as they age, does anyone know? Hive with nice huge dark red queen in the Autumn had big very pale queen when I opened up today for first inspection. Not going to complain as everything fine but I am a bit bemused!

I've found this, too - all mine started off blonde, but darkened to black & amber stripes?

Inspected "the beast" today. Double brood nearly full up. Queen is a bitch, she has to go. Horrible bees, nasty pingy things.

The rigorous culling of their drone brood will do wonders for their varroa levels.
And the local gene pool.

Brood in all stages. :)
Simples
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Bees in the Belfry"©

Just had our three new bespoke hives delivered from Peak Hives, for the Manchester Cathedral apiary. Beautiful bits of kit!

Going to splash a bit of preservative on them, then bung them on the roof, ready for three nucs......... if spring ever arrives.

The Cathedral is closed for 8 months whilst they dig up the whole floor to replace the heating system. But the major talking point is, will all the hammer drills fret the bees?

The contractors are being really great - making available an unused storage container for us to do the preparation.

Great how people have such interest in, and concern for bees.
Unless they're politicians, of course.

Dusty

Just had our three new bespoke hives delivered from Peak Hives, for the Manchester Cathedral apiary.
Dusty

Going to use the delivery to 'launder' the kit you bought in the convention thus keeping Mrs Dusty happy?

Going to use the delivery to 'launder' the kit you bought in the convention thus keeping Mrs Dusty happy?

Sssshhhh!

She can hear you.

As you know, Jenkinsbrynmair, the only thing I spent personally at the Convention, was the cup of tea I bought for you and me! You are my witness; a good chapel lad has to be believed.

But now you mention it, some stuff did fall out of those boxes and bags, when I moved them from garage to Cathedral. What an oversight! Anyhow, next time I go......

Dusty

Latest posts

Back