What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Luka

"we keep opening them every 1.5-2 weeks.."...really isn't the best technique

If you think they need feeding, flatten a 2 kilo lump of fondant to 12" sq. and press it onto the top bars in one go.

And yes, I'd suggest doing that differently as well. :)

An apiguard-style eke and a simple sheet of clear plastic over the top would
1 - make room for a decent amount of fondant each time and
2 - allow checking without actually opening, while also
3 - being better insulation than a wooden cb (especially one with holes!) But a layer of insulation board above the cb would still be a cheap improvement.

ADDED -- though opening that frequently through the winter is a bit excessive, the fact that it can be done does indicate the resilience of the bees -- even their resilience to beekeepers!

Last edited:
Went out Sunday to clear the snow off the cover boards, have been worried if the were still alive, and to my heat happiness two bees came out onto the landing board to see what's happening the went back inside. :)

Noticed an increased amount of wax below the hives. Guess their getting stuck into winter stores.

Went out Sunday to clear the snow off the cover boards, have been worried if the were still alive, and to my heat happiness two bees came out onto the landing board to see what's happening the went back inside. :)
Congrats - you have two bees! :)

I made a quick lunchtime check on my 3 colonies today. Gave fondant to the only one that didn't have it, which is doing well but getting light. 2 colonies seem to be doing fine, the other one is not so good. I think I should have combined it before winter. Oh well, live and learn...

I checked around hive and hefted all good then just as i was about to walk away a couple of those little beauties landed and went back to bed....

bees been flying about today had a look inside and they have plenty of fondant left but i am new to beekeeping can you tell me what i should be doing at this time of year

A balmy 13 c this afternoon here - lots of activity at all four hive entrances - but no sign of pollen going in although there is pussy willow nearby

Denise
You could begin to learn the weight of your hive by, once a week, gently lifting one side...'hefting' - it can only be done by experience

Last edited:
Disaster!

I went back to the farm to see my hives again today, mainly to try to help a colony that yesterday looked quite weak and not eating fondant. When I got there it was REALLY windy. I quickly changed the floor (OMF) and left the varroa tray in to protect from draft, then I peaked under the crown board and was delighted to see plenty of bees tucking into the fondant.

As I was leaving I glanced at the hives (cedar 14x12) from the car window and noticed that one had blown over! :hairpull: I hate myself for not being more careful and strapping up/weighing down but this was some crazy strong wind.

I then had to put it together, strap it all up, then hammered a post into the ground next to the hive and strapped it to that, then put a rock on top. I strapped up the other hives and put rocks on top & on the stands. The colony that blew over was a beauty - loads of gentle bees - I just hope that the queen didn't get damaged.

It hasn't been this windy here for ages and normally the weather here, though wet, is fairly tranquil. Anyway, I'm a bl**dy idiot and will make sure I take more care.

It turned out ot be a far more eventful trip out at lunchtime than I expected.:redface:

A calm mild morning with some thin sun just starting to get over the hedge and onto the hives.

The stupidly strong colony was flying strongly - and even bringing in small loads of very pale pollen.

A couple of yards away, there was no sign of activity at the polyhive. So I had a look through the clear crownboard. Clustered! Its still pretty heavy, so my guess is that the hive insulation is preventing the warmth getting in, and the mass of stores is (so to speak) 'holding the cold' - its going to take a lot of warming...
Looking back a couple of hours later, they were coming out, but in smaller numbers than from the wooden hives.

bees been flying about today had a look inside and they have plenty of fondant left but i am new to beekeeping can you tell me what i should be doing at this time of year

As far as the bees, nothing really if you know they have stores. Take a look at the entrance, make sure it is clear, is it covered in faeces?
Otherwise make sure you are ready for the season ahead i.e Do you have enough equipment/frames/hive parts? If not sort it out now. Is what you have clean and tidy? If not, sterilise and clean. Do you have a plan for the year ahead? Now's the time to decide what you are aiming for.

Have fun.
Cazza

Is it the right time to remove mouse guards with the small amount of pollen starting to be brought in ??

A calm mild morning with some thin sun just starting to get over the hedge and onto the hives.

The stupidly strong colony was flying strongly - and even bringing in small loads of very pale pollen.

A couple of yards away, there was no sign of activity at the polyhive. So I had a look through the clear crownboard. Clustered! Its still pretty heavy, so my guess is that the hive insulation is preventing the warmth getting in, and the mass of stores is (so to speak) 'holding the cold' - its going to take a lot of warming...
Looking back a couple of hours later, they were coming out, but in smaller numbers than from the wooden hives.

Hi itma,
Very poetic and the same as my PH and my barn bees!

As far as the bees, nothing really if you know they have stores. Take a look at the entrance, make sure it is clear, is it covered in faeces?
Otherwise make sure you are ready for the season ahead i.e Do you have enough equipment/frames/hive parts? If not sort it out now. Is what you have clean and tidy? If not, sterilise and clean. Do you have a plan for the year ahead? Now's the time to decide what you are aiming for.

Have fun.
Cazza

Hi Cazza,
Good advice.

Hi stehenpug,
That's what I like to know too. When...

It's a bit of a personal decision moment. I am cautious and wait until there is no chance of the bees going in to a cluster when the mice can get in if there is no excluder and when the colony is strong and busy. In other words, not for several months yet (early April.)

Cazza

It was sunny and 12 degrees, so weighed all my hives. The poly nuc was light, and unlike the others I had seen no activity, so I had a look. They were fairly active, and a good number. Slipped out a frame in middle of brood nest. Queen was there as was some capped brood, with one drone cell even. Did not look any further. Very low on stores so gave fondant. In and out in a minute or so. Other hives by weight still have plenty of stores.

Some pollen coming in to the colony that was weakest when I did my OA. That is in a full size poly hive. Surprisingly they were probably the most active - apart from my KTBH.

It was sunny and mild today, though there was a fairly strong wind earlier. Had a look at both my hives, and they had bees out and about, one with more activity than the other. They were bringing back orange coloured pollen. I didn't check on the inside at all, but on the next warm day I'll be checking on the fondant in the ekes above the crown boards to see if they need replenishing.

put fondant on top of frames.
saw lots of drones ??????
not many workers

not expecting a thriving colony in spring.

Latest posts

Back