What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottled 3 gals of peach melomel which was started back in Aug 12, lovely and clear.
Sampled the first of the 2011 spring mead. Definately better than my 2010!:cheers2:

Bottled 3 gals of peach melomel which was started back in Aug 12, lovely and clear.
Sampled the first of the 2011 spring mead. Definately better than my 2010!:cheers2:

Hi dclewis,
Hope you don't mind me asking, probably a simple question about making mead. Did not think I liked it, but sampled someones dry mead and it was very nice. How do you ensure you get dry mead?

Lots of bees flying at midday today/ They were bringing in rust coloured pollen. Any ideas?

I think there is a bit of gorse around somewhere

Went to heft the hives but decided not to disturb them on such a fine day, besides which there were lots around and we would have been stung without suits! Watched the bees going into the snowdrops instead, most pleasant.

How do you ensure you get dry mead?

By not using more honey than the yeast can tolerate (as alcohol). Surplus, when the yeast is inactivated by the alcohol content, will provide the sweetness in the mead.

Checked on fondant - plenty left. A few girls out and about, mostly from a cedar nuc once again.

Finished re-painting the last of my 'all wood' hive roofs with a shiny bright weatherproof white paint. They look magnificent just for a few days before the first bee and bird sh!t appears....

Assembled a 2nd hive today and cleared the entrance of my 1st. Had a quick peek inside, as the entrance block came out and the girls seem to be happily clustering in the brood box.

havent a clue what you are on about. "jolting"?

Last edited:
it dont take much to confuse me lol :thanks:

I thought there was an easier way of doing it for a while then lol a way I hadn't heard of haha

Any way its in the jars now. I am now looking at doing some creamed/set/soft set honey

Last edited:
Got home with enough daylight left to do a quick hive check - four seem well and are taking a bit of fondant - the fifth was a little quiet but they are still there and buzzing.

Latest posts

Back