What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
north cheshire. any help ?

Not to me but might be for some. My profile says Lincolnshire (one of the little boxes under your screen name); your's says 'UK'.

now changed, and theres a lot of early winter heather starting to flower.

I was happy that some of the bees seemed really busy today, bringing in pollen mostly, then I started to worry. Why would they be bringing in so much pollen unless they have a lot of brood, and why would they have so much brood at this time of year.... unless they are planning on being profligate with their stores ?

Took off empty feeders and put on fondant. Put on a couple more mouseguards.

counted varroa on four hives that had been unmanaged for 18 months and uninspected

had to use bayvarol on them last week, drop with bayvarol about 300 per week but unsure as to how effective that will be as Ido not know whether mites are resistant to the Bayvarol (over it been six year since we last used it) and they have been in cluster

i suspect they have swarmed a lot ,so that's been a natural biomechanical varroa control

Last edited:
Went to check on my hives yesterday and found sheep in the field!! Was quite concerned but as I approached the hive's the farmer had erected a nice fence for me couldnt ask for more really.

My hives are in a field behind my house and my current beekeeping activity is a daily stroll past them on route to the pond to feed the ducks and fish. Quick glance for activity (all hives busy in the sun yesterday), woodpecker damage (never had any but they feed on ants sometimes metres from the hives) and weather related damage. I heft once a week but all as expected at the moment after their late summer feed.
Need to step up my garage activities in the next few weeks as I have some boxes to make.
Giving a talk / slideshow tomorrow eve to local young farmers 'countrysiders' which I am looking forward too
Pete D

Evodia-bee tree

The Bee Tree- Evodia was subject of a thread earlier in the year- or was it last year. I tried to grow it from seed but failed. Today I took delivery of 2 one year old trees from a Welsh nursery on ebay. Very pleased with them and they have more if anyone's interested.

Oh yes please. PM me and I'll order a couple. I have a few almost identical specimens and a couple of fellow forum members have had some from me. I thought they were Evodia but they turn out to be Aralia. Beeline tracked the genus down ....I think the species I have is spinosa. Bees like it anyway.

Just bought two how fast and how large do they grow so I know where I can plant them ? Cheers

The established one we have grows back very quickly after severe pruning (almost a stump). This one was 4m high 4m diameter ,before pruning this year.

Does it take from cuttings?

Hardwood cuttings taken now are quite successful.

Are the Evodia seeds any good as seen on fleabay?
I managed to grow 20 tea tree from seed which are now nearly 2m tall and make a smashing hedge, though bees don't seem that bothered as yet!
S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried to grow some from seed and they failed.
There was someone here ...Winker maybe? who had spectacular success.
I have half a dozen manuka plants and though they flowered for months the bees ignored them.

The established one we have grows back very quickly after severe pruning (almost a stump). This one was 4m high 4m diameter ,before pruning this year.

Thanks derekm they grow quite large then so I will give them plenty of space :thanks:

had a quick look at one of the hives and one of the nucs as it was 13 degrees, not inside just peered through the feeding hole, can't understand why there was about 30 dead bees on top of the crown board with no obvious way onto it....., other than that they were fine

Latest posts

Back