What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used new extractor for first time, extracted 2 supers and put them back on the hives as they are bringing in stacks of Himalayan Balsam and Rose Bay Willow.

put back some empty supers for cleaning and tripped carry three empty supers from the car

think i have damaged my Hip sacroiliac joint AGAIN or at least the muscle around it

crawled to the car and managed to drive home, then could not get out, had to phone my wife : she has her uses

i can walk, run, stand and lie down but if sit in a chair or try to bend i have pain,

putting my socks on in the morning is going to be intersting :biggrinjester:

Not so much. Couldn't sort a wasp nest - realised the necessary resources went up in the conflagration.

Managed to allow a bee to get inside my veil this morning. Stung me on the bridge of my nose. One eye partly closed and the other completely. The fully closed one is just starting to open now.

Was stung on the head a couple days ago and hardly a bump. This one is so different.

RAB

RAB?

Is life sending you a wee message per chance????????????????

PH

"Stung me on the bridge of my nose. One eye partly closed and the other completely. The fully closed one is just starting to open now.
Was stung on the head a couple days ago and hardly a bump. This one is so different."

By head i presume you mean scalp rab? not surprising - the skin covering the skull vault is closely attached to a thick layer of fascia overlying the bone with little in the way of soft tissue. Nowhere for the venom to diffuse to and nowhere for the swelling to form.
on the other hand, bridge of nose is loose tissue and adjacent to the very thin delicate loose skin of the eye lids. so a sting there allows bot easy diffusion of venom and likewise the resulting swelling.

the above is why blunt trauma to the head results in lacerations when it wouldn't elsewhere on body, why a neurosurgeon can "scalp" a patient to access the brain and why when a doctor/surgeon excises a skin lesion of any significant size from the scalp it requires a skin graft to make good (as the edges cannot be brought together to close) whereas a similar or larger excision elsewhere can fixed by primary closure with sutures, producing a linear scar.

I got stung on the top lip and now have a trout pout. As dr S implies, it swelled up quickly.

I am trying to make the bees clear some of the supers that were only a little full and have placed them under the brood boxes with a crownboard and QX on top.

I got stung on the top lip and now have a trout pout. As dr S implies, it swelled up quickly.

I am trying to make the bees clear some of the supers that were only a little full and have placed them under the brood boxes with a crownboard and QX on top.

..... and people pay good money for botox injections, could this be another hive product?

Were all getting stung i got 2 one on ancle and one a bit higher.. Didnt put wellies on

The Honey Buzzards that have nested nearby are gradually eating the wasp nests, slashing them out of the bushes or digging them out of the ground.

Pieces of comb scattered.

Comb.jpg

Half dug out exposed underground nest.

Nest.jpg

Beekeeping the natural way.:cool:

Chris

Went to the association apiary - us beginners dodged showers and tetchy bees while the old stagers stood in the shed watching and laughing.not worthy
Helped (more observed really)the catching and marking of a queen in another beginners first colony - a swarm caught two weeks ago, beautiful dark queen with the gentlest most laid back colony I could imagine, especially in the bad weather we were working in - beautiful dark queens, I'm jealous.
Opened up another hive - Q - since last week when we performed an A/S so more than a bit irate!! didn't have gloves but did have some wonderful natural herb and alcohol infusion on my hands, guaranteed to discourage stinging offered by another member - got stung on the thumb:eek:

transferred a bad tempered 7 frame nuc to a hive - hope having a little more space may settle them a wee bit. took a few goes - frame at a time - weather didn't help though.

ended up with a decent sized cluster left in the open nuc lid overnight which i encouraged onto the ramp at 330am. hopefully they'll make it in.

shame you can't just invert boxes and have the frames slide down into recipient hive!!!!

Taking advantage of a sunny window in all this "lovely" August weather I was checking a colony whose new queen should have emerged on the 28th August* (eggs..........hurrah!!!!!) when suddenly the air was thick with bees flying from all directions. On the biggest hive they looked like a swarm entering. 10 minutes later the sky is black and it's raining.
*(I know I shouldn't have looked but I was preparing an adjacent hive for re-queening on Wednesday and I just couldn't resist)

Taking advantage of a sunny window in all this "lovely" August weather I was checking a colony whose new queen should have emerged on the 28th August* (eggs..........hurrah!!!!!) when suddenly the air was thick with bees flying from all directions. On the biggest hive they looked like a swarm entering. 10 minutes later the sky is black and it's raining.
*(I know I shouldn't have looked but I was preparing an adjacent hive for re-queening on Wednesday and I just couldn't resist)

28th August? which year?
I seem to habitually misread your posts :smilielol5:

VM

Went to Association apairy to remove cleared supers and rotate clearing boards to uncleared hives. . Raining.. stopped for long enough to complete task. Stung on throat - girl I was with was stung on arm..

No serious damage done...(taken antihistamine in anticiaption of recalcitrant bees - they were just that)

Transfered a 5 frame Nuc to a full BB. Nice to see the Queen growing up!

Will be selling I think!

An acquaintance in my fishing club had a wasps nest in his chicken shed so as a favour I popped down to zap it, seems he also has a nice little workshop in his garage planer/thicknesser, bench router and three bench saws, two chop saws etc.
Now my best mate!!:) already cut some timbers for my next nuc building project, he may be seeing quite a bit of me in future.

Latest posts

Back