What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moved thirty apideas onto the apiary back from remote(ish) mating stations. Tomorrow if it doesn't rain is check and mark day. Had a red torch over them last night and topped up three feeders.

And.....made a rapid commercial nuc out of a Q- hive which had lost a beautiful big VQ and got snotty. Cell they made from the test frame due to hatch tomorrow. After 24 hours of rain they weren't in the best of moods so resorted to thick gloves. And brushing them off in the willows. Sting-free, just.

Tomorrow if its nice (yeah, right) will stick the rest over a Q+ to try and entice some co-operation and honey hopefully. Now which poor hive to foist them on...

United two colonies. The new, supercedure queen, in my weaker colony turned out to be a drone layer. As they were only Nuc size decideed the best thing to do was unite them with my stronger colony. I'm new to beekeeping and never done it before and never appreciated how heavy two brood boxes and a super are, luckily I never dropped them.

Inspected a swarm I collected and hived on foundation on Tuesday (couldn't find the Q).

They've drawn an incredible amount of comb and there's a big fat Q - I'll leave until I see eggs before marking her.

Removed gloves as needed to fix a fiddly mesh over a nuc entrance prior to relocation

put gloves back on to get stung logarithmally on the wrist by the bees that had taken refuge there

and people pay for this,,,,,,,,,?? APIOTHERAPY !

Tried out my new solar wax extractor that Mr M had made from bits and pieces he found in the shed.

Worked brilliantly - 85°C inside!

Spent 2 hours trying to get a swarm out of a air vent in a bedroom got them in box and back they went 2nd time did same. By this time bedroom full of bees and owner of house frantic so unfortunatly out with spray and powder.. I tried my best

I collected my first swarm yesterday - a really large one, some three feet off the ground in a small standard apple tree. Butchered the tree, lowered the swarm into a big cardboard box and them when back at the apiary tipped them into a brood box with a QE under it. I never thought it would be as straight forward (and the bees as docile) as the course suggested it would. I was interested to see that the bees (a lovely orangey colour too) had started to build comb in the box in the fifteen minute drive home.

Mark

I made a mistake yesterday in my early days on a brood and a half hive. I went to lift off the super that on top of the brood box. The bees had built lots of brace comb between the two boxes. As I lifted the super off some frames from the brood box stuck to the super then dropped back into the brood box. Well my girls were not best pleased with this mistreatment. They poured out and started stinging anyone they could find. My family all ran for cover. They were suited and booted but they still ran.

I was very pleased with myself that I stayed calm. Smoked most of them back into the box and carried on with the inspection. I found the queen and make sure that she was back in the deep brood box and stuck the queen excluder on top.

I risk loosing as swarm as she has lots of frames of brood in there but brood and a half is not working for me. How do you guys who use brood and a half get over this problem?

took ,with other BKA members all dressed up in Protective Bee suits , our observation hive, a box of beekeeping memorabilia and hive products to a local fete

Very hot sunny day 30c, not the day for wearing your bee suit but at least a bit of education to the pink roasting masses that we are not keeping wasps and these are the bees that make your honey not those black furry things in your garden

How do you guys who use brood and a half get over this problem?
Our local apiary teaches to always twist when lifting off boxes avoids lifting up combs..

Of course I don't have that problem with my hives:)

added another super to two of my colonies, the nectar seems to be flowing again!!

swarm sunday

After peeling and chopping a mountain of potatoes my wife dismissed me from kitchen duties so I could grab a mid-morning coffee. I can’t really remember the time it was at the moment of sipping that coffee because it became lost in the whirl that became swarm Sunday.

I was casually staring out the window across the garden at the two hives, only one of which has a laying queen at the moment. This hive has the queen we have now named Grelder. I am not a fan of naming animals that are not truly pets. I named the chickens only as a joke (Roast, Lemon, Szechuan and Rosemary) and never use the names or can ever tell them apart anyway. But, after the artificial swarm adventure we thought she deserved a name and Grelder seemed fitting as GRound ELDER is something we have to deal with a lot here; just when you think it has completely gone it suddenly appears again from an unknown hiding place.

As I stared at the hives and sipped my strong coffee some activity from Grelder’s hive caught my attention. An ever increasing cloud of bees was whirling around the hive and filling the air. Only one thought crossed my mind; “NOOOOOOOOO!”

We ran outside to find ourselves standing on the edge of a cloud of bees. For a moment I thought about the wonder of it all and the fact that through the cloud the zipping straight lines of scout bees directing the swarm could be clearly seen. They were creating a perfect straight ‘beeline’ from the hive to a young horse chestnut tree. Then that thought crept back in; “NOOOOOOOOO!”

2011-june-26-003.jpg

the swarm on resting on the tree

After a few minutes they neatly parked themselves at a lovely height on the tree and I went off to get suited up and find some bits of kit to attempt to catch them. I had never thought I would be catching swarms so early in by beekeeping career so I have to admit that I did the usual amateur thing of grabbing a couple of bee-books and frantically refreshed my memory on how it should be done. As it was a lovely day and they were so handily positioned I decided to go for the old fashioned method of walking them in which is apparently quite unnecessary but amazing to see.

2011-june-26-014.jpg

walking the ramp

2011-june-26-015.jpg

I watched for ages and still never spotted Grelder

2011-june-26-019.jpg

she might be a apis mellifera ninja

After getting them into a little wooden box I transferred them into a hive with frames using a method from a different source. It involved quite a bit of space which seemed unnecessary to me but I went with the wisdom of others and shook the swarm into a brood box, excluder, eek, brood box tower and left them to settle themselves in for the evening.

Grelder the queen had only just been put through an artificial swarm exactly a week ago and it seems she could not be easily fooled. So in a burst of extravagance I decided that if she wanted to leave then I would make her leave. With the help of my brother in law I loaded them on to a trailer and carried them off to a bolt hole site on his land. In the pictures he can be seen wearing a camouflage beesuit and white marigold gloves. I kept asking, “where are you now?” Then he would appear standing beside me hidden in the hedge with his gloves giving me the impression of some strange army mime artist.

2011-june-26-037.jpg

you can just see him if you look closely

2011-june-26-040.jpg

me standing pondering Grelder the witch

I am assuming that Grelder left some lovely queen cells in her old home and a very small skeleton crew of bees. I also assume that, over the coming weeks, I will have to see if the two hives left behind in our cottage apiary will produce laying queens. Then decisions will have to be made, hives will need to be recombined and a queen might have to be killed. And Grelder, if you happen to be reading this blog, it might even be you.

2011-june-26-042.jpg

miles from home – is that swarmed enough for you Grelder?​

Got stung!

Decided to finish off the apiary fence and gate, after hanging the gate too high in the dark on Saturday evening.

Just got it off and started to screw in when one of her ladyship's advance guard pounced. :eek:

At least I don't seem to over-react to bee stings!

David

Marked a couple of laying queens in tbh. Checked on my commercial unites. Pondered the sense after the fact of leaving a nuc with a drawn frame and foundation for the stragglers from the two unites. Checked a cell in a nuc for hatching and it had.

went to visit another local Beekeeper, and got serious bee-shed envy!!

Latest posts

Back