What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not much activity outside of the hives as its grey and damp.

11c and they are working the pollen patties like its going out of fashion.

Weekly inspections and top ups now until the middle of March.

A break in the rain this afternoon and temps of 10C so loads of activity large loads of deep orange pollen coming in. 12 into the winter and 12 alive so far but a quick heft indicates that some will need fondant before too long. So far so good.

Last edited:
Lots of activity in week according to neighbour (who was a bit surprised by it!).

Hazel in flower here, snowdrops starting to come through too, so possibly a bit of pollen for them to get hold of, but suspect cleansing/orientation/water collection mostly.

From beginning of the week we crossed into plus - hard. Day temps are from 10 to 15C plus ( from -17C a week ago..). Whole snow melted, I am glad to see tomorrow bees flying around..
Today afternoon we made another batch of fondants, this one with nozevit.. Now I sat to rest after whole day on my feet..

I also painted hives, but that was last thing before the rain started , it just dried in time. No I cant paint under cover at the moment!

Vaped 25 Nucs this morning. Really pleased with the clusters, almost too strong. Makes me very worried about provisions, so fed fondant to about 6. Made some ekes with thick styrofoam, (think it was 30mm), so just enough. Then fed accordingly.
Some of the others i put a thinner rolled slab across the frames.
Never thought i would ever see colonies as good as this in Feb. Still a while to go though but i cant stop thinking how good these daughters of Peter Little's queens are!!

Supposed to be colder again next week, which should be just perfect. Momosa coming in to flower, in a couple of weeks. Hazel in full flower and `Gorse this year not many flowers because it was so dry until Novemeber.
However all looking great.

Last edited:
Put 1lb pollen patty on each of my 3 hives - they've slowed down their fondant eating - curious as to how/if any of these hives come out of winter. One hive just doesn't come out flying, while the others are buzzing about like nobody' business - but I know they're in there!

Maybe just a strain that really only likes the warm weather!??

Been screwing together 2 new nuc boxes and an experimental 8 frame box to maybe go on the weird floor/nuc I've built.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3rd and probably final weekly vape of all colonies.
All colonies flying today and some orange pollen being taken in.

Today checked all colonies. All alive but four colonies got disturbed by the european green woodpecker ( damage between boxes).. Grrr.. Not little dead bees at the entrances, will see in spring the impact of this. Will have to place some deterent or so..
At the main apiary seems our cats noticed its presence and are preparing warm welcome for the greeny..
Snow melted.

Well woody woodpecker has paid a visit but the bees seem to prefer there new exit? Very busy at all the sites which is great to see: )

Replaced candy containers on two hives.
Noticed perspex crown board with 4mm perspex rim was getting brace comb to top bars. I will have to make deeper rims in future.
Only a few bees flying.

Put 1lb pollen patty on each of my 3 hives - they've slowed down their fondant eating - curious as to how/if any of these hives come out of winter. One hive just doesn't come out flying, while the others are buzzing about like nobody' business - but I know they're in there!

Maybe just a strain that really only likes the warm weather!??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have the same: hives with insulation cosies painted green don't come out. Those painted brown do. (But polyhive with no cosy is painted green and they do come out! It has a brown top hat.)

Maybe it's heat absorption from the sun: brown being faster to warm up?

Interesting. I have just painted the outside of 6 maisie polynucs (from the Jan sale) with brown masony paint.

I know the topic has been discussed in the past (and I have read through the various contributions) but with a few more years of experience & hindsight can people kindly tell me what they found to be the best option to paint the inside of the Poly feeder. Is it gloss paint or masonry paint or possibly something else? I would like a consensus view if possible . Many thanks in anticipation of some advice.

Last edited:
Nothing today, its howling and I've just lost the Top felt of my shed, again. I didn't get it cross battened last autumn. Grrrrrrrr
Was hoping to carry on vaping. Fat chance!!! Feel like i am gong backwards at the moment!!!!!

I have the same: hives with insulation cosies painted green don't come out. Those painted brown do. (But polyhive with no cosy is painted green and they do come out! It has a brown top hat.)

Maybe it's heat absorption from the sun: brown being faster to warm up?

Intersting...

My cosies aren't painted... just silver celotex.

The single BB solid floor is always very busy.
The double BB OMF no cosy, just 100mm 'hat', also often busy.
The double BB solid floor with cosy is always deserted out front.

All things considered and can only think it is their strain/'personality'

Latest posts

Back