What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Visited association apiary, knocked up a few frames, helped to clear some queen cells from a hive, we put one in an apidea, I took one home to do the same.

Maybe this time.

Saw bald brood for the first time today. Not pretty. :(

I react badly to being stung by my bees still.

Got stung on finger on Tuesday, my own fault, took glove off for 30 secs to take pics of bees coating hive because of heat, and they got me. Didn't have any antihystemins, right hand swelled up like a boxing glove, lots of pain, helped by bag of frozen peas. Couldn't hold pen or fork as hand so swollen. Better on Friday.

Went to supermarket on Thursday and got anti-sting spray and antihys cream, just in case. And then...

On Friday, strimmed around bees and they strung my left hand thru the glove. At least it was different hand. So sprayed the sting asap and then when it started swelling, lots of ice/peas and antihys cream.

Unlike the first sting point, which had a massive blister and is still sore now, the later sting area is almost gone, so the spray for me seemed to help the contact site.

Having applied more frozen peas tonight, my left hand is nearly better.

So anti-sting sprays and lots of ice definately helps.

Or just not getting stung!

Not saying it doesn't help but I'd argue the second sting was not as bad as the first as it was through your glove.

Thank you B+ for making me so welcome, a fantastic set up and some amazingly interesting work you are doing. Hope to catch up again soon.

Bees in full flow now so we made up our last eight supers and got them on - no point in them sitting in the shed
All hives with 2 supers half to 3 parts filled now, and added a third super to the eight neediest
By my reckoning, so far in July they have already put away as much as we took off as spring honey at the end of June !

Happy days :party:

Have run out of honey buckets so went to wilco and bought some homebrew buckets to tide me over till I order the ones I want (homebrew are too big and therefore heavy when full)
Then took dogs for a walk in the wet welsh drizzle in the park. Could not beleive the number of bees foraging on HB. They were so thickly covered in white they looked like white marked queens.What with the drizzle and a full load of nectar they could barely take off and flew really low. Nearly crashed into us a few times.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 19
Discovered I've lost a swarm from a large hive which is now full of queen cells, one or two of which look newly capped. Could have sworn I'd clipped the queen but seemingly not as bee numbers are definitely depleted and supers much lighter than 7 days ago. Checked notes - no record of clipping, grrrr! Broke down the sealed cells, marked up a frame with a nice looking one and will go back next week to thin them out to just 1. Somebody else has hopefully got lucky.

Checked the other hives in that apiary and clipped 2 more queens that I'd also missed doing earlier in the season.

Limes are well and truly over here now and brambles are setting fruit. The season for my apiary in the countryside looks like it is slowing right down whereas the garden apiary in our village is still going strong, mostly down to the balsam nearby.

too damp and drizzly to inspect unless really necessary although the bees don't seem to realise - they have been flying with a vengeance in all but the heaviest rain since early morning. Me, just spent some time in the shed making up more shallows and frames (saves sitting in the house talking to SWMBO!)

Last edited:
too damp and drizzly to inspect unless really necessary although the bees don't seem to realise - this they have been flying with a vengeance in all but the heaviest rain since early morning. Me, just spent some time in the shed making up more shallows and frames (saves sitting in the house talking to SWMBO!)

:iagree:

Me, just spent some time in the shed making up more shallows and frames (saves sitting in the house talking to SWMBO!)

I expect she's glad she doesn't have to spend time with you! I'm always happy when my OH disappears to do gardening for hours on end.

Moved 3 nucs that were full into hives. Only set them up in june and they've caught me out a little with the flow we've had recently. Two of them had a single QC in them. On this occasion I've knocked them both down as there is no apparent issue with the bought in Queens so it may be they're just a bit congested but I'll be keeping a close eye on them.

Moved some empty hives and a bench to make more room in the centre of the Bee Yard....Now that is better....inspection later on tomorrow will be much easier.
No having to shuffle sideways as I go back to the Bee Barn for each item I need!

Got stung 30 times on both arms and both knees, by my alleged calm Buckfasts. I am not happy, but luckily hardly any swelling

Ouch.
I got four bees in my veil...not just bees but four from the "Hive from Hell"
My fault, didn't do the zip up properly.....Unfortunately I didn't get any of them before they got me. The worst one is on the nose!!!

Got stung 30 times on both arms and both knees, by my alleged calm Buckfasts. I am not happy, but luckily hardly any swelling

Ours were a little bit like that last Wednesday, they were inspected on Tuesday and the SBI mentioned how nice they were to handle. Yet tonight when I had a quick look through them they were fine again.

Latest posts

Back