What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ouch.
I got four bees in my veil...not just bees but four from the "Hive from Hell"
My fault, didn't do the zip up properly.....Unfortunately I didn't get any of them before they got me. The worst one is on the nose!!!

That feeling of terror as you realise the bee is walking on your face and it's not just a bit of sweat! Made worse by the presence of other bees on the outside of your veil meaning you can't do anything about it!

Added three more supers on to my hives on Sunday, hopefully still some more nectar to come in now the weather has cooled a bit. I don't think there's any HB near me but hopefully there's plenty of suburban garden plants in flower to give a crop.

Ouch.
My fault, didn't do the zip up properly.....Unfortunately I didn't get any of them before they got me. The worst one is on the nose!!!

Oh no! I had one get in my veil ages ago through the velcro under the zip having curled in the wash. But four in there. Eek. I think that sting on the nose deserves a pic!

Got stung 30 times on both arms and both knees, by my alleged calm Buckfasts. I am not happy, but luckily hardly any swelling

Don't know what's gong on with these buckies. Mine have been a bit arsey too! Were you wearing a suit?

Ouch.

Been searching for an emoticon with a red nose, couldn't find one anywhere :cuss:

Seriously though, hope it feels better soon. :)

Been searching for an emoticon with a red nose, couldn't find one anywhere :cuss:

Seriously though, hope it feels better soon. :)
I imagine it's more of a Walter Matthau nose. Either way I would hide out at home till normal service resumed!

Have run out of honey buckets so went to wilco and bought some homebrew buckets to tide me over till I order the ones I want (homebrew are too big and therefore heavy when full)
Then took dogs for a walk in the wet welsh drizzle in the park. Could not beleive the number of bees foraging on HB. They were so thickly covered in white they looked like white marked queens.What with the drizzle and a full load of nectar they could barely take off and flew really low. Nearly crashed into us a few times.

Exactly why I marked my queens blue. Would be almost imossible to find with the amount of balsam round here. I have the records that they are this year's queens. They won't be going anywhere so not really an issue.

My bees wise, I am hoping to get down there in a couple of hours to see whether the main colony are still trying to change their queen AGAIN! Nuc were happy just doing their own thing, raising brood and just being honey bees.

Will wear some thicker trousers today though as that sting to my knee left me struggling to walk for two days! According to the walk in centre, wasn't an allergic reaction just that the little bugger got her stinger right in the joint just under my kneecap!

Kudos for aim I suppose.

:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:
The old ones are always the best!

Glad I amused you. I meant they aren't going to be getting sold or anything so their colour is purely a means for me to spot them not to identify their age.

I imagine main hive queen is probably going to be replaced if the bees' efforts on last inspection were anything to go by.

The instrumentally inseminated Netherlands Line queeens I have been waiting for finally arrived today (http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/album.php?albumid=751&pictureid=3754).
They have spent a whole week in the post and were looking rather the worse for wear. Hopefully they will be accepted or this will turn out to be a rather expensive mistake.

The instrumentally inseminated Netherlands Line queeens I have been waiting for finally arrived today (http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/album.php?albumid=751&pictureid=3754).
They have spent a whole week in the post and were looking rather the worse for wear. Hopefully they will be accepted or this will turn out to be a rather expensive mistake.

A Week WTF,
I order every two weeks from Norway average delivery 2-3 ( working ) days like clock work. Ok its not normal mail but courier but only pay 11 euros per consignment and a lot heavier than bees

Last edited:
4 bees in your veil!!!!
Arrrrhg...sounds horrific. It's that moment when you realise that you are not alone inside your beesuit...a moment whilst you try to think how to extract yourself without getting stung!
Poor you....just a small request...do you think a photo...purely to act as a warning to do up the suit properly...would be in order...no pressure???
He he...:spy:

Managed to inspect in between rain showers. They are drawing their super out nicely.

Got a couple of (very blurry) snaps of the main hive queen. She is super fast and takes after her mother with her dislike of the light. So by the time my phone had focused she was gone so just snapped away trying desperately to at least get one photo of her.

They had one really small but capped queen cell. They weren't paying much attention to it either so it might be one I missed from last time. Took it down anyway. I think as the older bees are dying off they are losing their constant desire to build queen cells. It was on the bottom of a frame with the drone brood which I also opened to check for varroa. Only one mite spotted so coping fairly well.

Must admit I was a little nervous after my reaction to Friday's sting but they were lovely.

The nuc was doing well too. Spotted HM on the first frame I pulled dutifully laying eggs to popped it back in and left it there not wanting to do her any damage. With her laying against the outside wall I think they will be ready for their 6 frame box next week.

Also walked nearly a mile down the bus route to get to my apiary. Literally both sides are covered in clover which the council have dutifully not cut down. If you stand still for a second you can hear it buzzing. Covered in both honey bees and various different bumbles. Only across the road from my hives.

Attachments

• 13872834_10207051623945379_5012281842392764531_n.jpg
    13872834_10207051623945379_5012281842392764531_n.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 13754696_10207051624305388_4025652767808063181_n.jpg
    13754696_10207051624305388_4025652767808063181_n.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 13669103_10207051627865477_2981104170563524546_n.jpg
    13669103_10207051627865477_2981104170563524546_n.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 13686672_10207051624665397_1161501960127435255_n.jpg
    13686672_10207051624665397_1161501960127435255_n.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 13754338_10207051629865527_9217447661615407800_n.jpg
    13754338_10207051629865527_9217447661615407800_n.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 32
4 bees in your veil!!!!
Arrrrhg...sounds horrific. It's that moment when you realise that you are not alone inside your beesuit...a moment whilst you try to think how to extract yourself without getting stung!
Poor you....just a small request...do you think a photo...purely to act as a warning to do up the suit properly...would be in order...no pressure???
He he...:spy:

The worst thing was that while I was violently patting and squashing...I could feel one in my hair and I could still hear one flying!
Strange thing though...the sting on the nose drew blood, throbbed for a while and went quite red, much to the amusement of husband but by this morning most of it had gone so sorry.....no pictures :)

Have been away for 2 weeks holiday, so before I went I bunged two extra supers on each hive, thinking it might tide them over, as no heat wave was predicted at that time. Not at all, supers all full, backfilling in the double BB, so HM had no room to lay, so have made some room for her by putting in some empty comb. and have put on another super. I have now run out of boxes, so will have to do some extracting. Saw HM in most of the hives, and in the others no evidence of any swarming, so that is good.
All hives except one were very well tempered, considering all the messing about I had to do.

The worst thing was that while I was violently patting and squashing...I could feel one in my hair and I could still hear one flying!
Strange thing though...the sting on the nose drew blood, throbbed for a while and went quite red, much to the amusement of husband but by this morning most of it had gone so sorry.....no pictures :)

Anything like this Erica, sorry :spy: , hope all is well soon.

sabah-labuk-probo-04_zpsxc25x80a.jpg

Inspected all hives after cutting grass.
2 nucs had DLQs.
Found and marked one new queen in swarm.
Removed QCs (2) from hive that has been halfheartedly producing them since June.(wall to wall brood so Queen OK)
Moved what looks like 5 (? 6?) QCs from starter Q- brood box to super to be finished.
Most hives had brood breaks from 2nd week June to 2nd week July due to the dreadful weather.. but are now running wall to wall brood on between 6-8 jumbo lang frames . If we get any kind of flow (HB?) , I should get some more honey.

Put in varroa monitoring boards.
2 stings only to make this year's total 166.

Back