What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Checked on the two swarms I collected on Sunday - Swarm one has drawn all 6 off 14x12 frames, queens has started to lay and will be moved into a full hive tomorrow. Swarm No 2 (much smaller) have drawn about 4 frames again 14x12, but no signs of the queen laying yet.

Tomorrow some extraction.. Already today I walked on " four legs".. Just to survive tomorrow and day after tomorrow and after.. :D
Blackberries start to flower..

Attachments

• black locust on the ground.jpg
    black locust on the ground.jpg
    398.5 KB · Views: 40
  • comb.jpg
    comb.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Blackberries.jpg
    Blackberries.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 32
Collected my first swarm, most exciting! Seemed to go well. On a branch into a poly Nuc at 7pm after work then went back at 9.30 and all inside. Turned the disc, back home and put frames in and hoping for the best as away at a festival until Monday.

Got my first sting of the year

Stupidly it was from a dead bee squashed on a hoffman sidebar that I didn't see whilst uncapping in the kitchen last night :eek: spanner

Got my first sting of the year

Stupidly it was from a dead bee squashed on a hoffman sidebar that I didn't see whilst uncapping in the kitchen last night :eek: spanner

Ha ha ... Went through all six hives yesterday - they were all fine and despite being very busy the bees were really well behaved - bragged to my wife that not a sign of a sting or even any untoward behaviour. I spoke too soon,

Went out and cut the front lawn, mowing close in to the lilac bush in the middle of it my head brushed through the flowers ... there must have been a bee on one of them because the little beggar stung me - right on the chin !! Can't have been one of mine they wouldn't do that to me ? First sting of the season - wife very amused.

Ha ha ... Went through all six hives yesterday - they were all fine and despite being very busy the bees were really well behaved - bragged to my wife that not a sign of a sting or even any untoward behaviour. I spoke too soon,

Went out and cut the front lawn, mowing close in to the lilac bush in the middle of it my head brushed through the flowers ... there must have been a bee on one of them because the little beggar stung me - right on the chin !! Can't have been one of mine they wouldn't do that to me ? First sting of the season - wife very amused.

So sporting a Desperate Dan look today! Must have been a Visiting bee who didn't have any manners.

Did you check a few days after the A/S for fresh QC's? happens often with Pagdens - that's it's biggest downfall - only a 50% success rate

Oh, thank you. I checked the other half for extra queen cells five days after the A/S but not the box with the old queen. That'll be it then.

My lame duck colony has actually got a couple of frames of decent brood and a couple of decent supersedure cells, one already capped. Hooray!!!
I'm re-queening them tomorrow so thought I'd clip the queen, just in case. Managed to snip BOTH wings!
Split the best hive with charged QCs just started. One hour later the heavens have opened. I hope most of the foragers are back where they should be.

Erica-
Oops! At least she won't be lopsided. I was tempted to clip queens but worried I would clip the queens head off!

Relived today to see a new queen has survived her introduction using one of the nicot push on cages. Phew. Last time, I wasn't so sucessful.

Took another couple of OSR filled supers off. Reckon the rest still need a few more days of warm weather. They are still coming back with OSR faces so not quite over yet here.

Checked on a modified Snelgrove II (wally Shaw) artificial swarm. Queen repatriated earlier in the week is laying away in the original hive and the other he has duly thrown up a plethora of emergency queen cells as expected.

Have 4 virgins due to emerge in the next few days so glad to see the weather is supposed to be picking up for the end of next week. Nice.

Devastated... My swarm which I caught swarmed today. Brand new hive, now empty...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick check on half my rape hives this evening farmer called today saying I have lost a swarm but a quick look and it must have been a mating flight as q-cell hatched. Plenty of hawthorn coming in with almost two supers filled since I removed the rape honey.

Over a million views on this thread now!

I've got to say, it's normally the first thing i look at on here :)

just been out to bring a swarm I've boxed in a garden home to lift it and find there are too many under the nuc box on the damn mesh to move it. Will try again tomorrow night.

Got called to a swarm. Huge prime swarm. Unfortunately, it was 10+m high up on the whippy end of an old willow tree branch. There were no climbable branches near it. So I couldn't get at it.

Are there any techniques/methods/tools to get hold of a swarm out of reach like that?

Got called to a swarm. Huge prime swarm. Unfortunately, it was 10+m high up on the whippy end of an old willow tree branch. There were no climbable branches near it. So I couldn't get at it.

Are there any techniques/methods/tools to get hold of a swarm out of reach like that?

A ladder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back