What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was lucky enough to visit the 'Bee Yard' of 'TremyFro' today for chat and a viewing of her treating the bee's to their third treatment of vaporising with oxalis acid. Seen one of her 'BeeHaus' together with the 'Darlington'. Such a welcome and a loverly cup of tea.

Last edited:
It was good to meet you....and hear about your exploits...ha ha....
Your wasp catching technique is fab...and as you say very satisfying!!...OH has made a pipe for the entrance of the nuc that the wasps were attacking ...I hope it gives them a chance tomorrow...otherwise I will have to move them....the wasps are really bad.

B+ ...you slay me....chuckle ...chuckle.
Should be...
There was an old man who swatted a wasp
I don't know why ....he swatted a wasp
He swatted the wasp to save the hive
That hive was alive....
I don't want it to die....

B+ ...you slay me....chuckle ...chuckle.
Should be...
There was an old man who swatted a wasp
I don't know why ....he swatted a wasp
He swatted the wasp to save the hive
That hive was alive....
I don't want it to die....

Yeah, but I can't sing so I had to make do with one that was already there

I was lucky enough to visit the 'Bee Yard' of 'TremyFro' today for chat and a viewing of her treating the bee's to their third treatment of vaporising with oxalis acid. Seen one of her 'BeeHaus' together with the 'Darlington'. Such a welcome and a loverly cup of tea.

OH half seems to do all the hard work there! You can forgive hive for the 'Battery Charger' if it was him!

Today opened one hive, no open or sealed brood - queen present.. She stopped to lay in August ( end of it). Earlier before happened and no problem in spring. They are already in winter mode.. The rest also rapidly decreased brooding. Rarelly can find more than 2 " frames" of open brood below heavy honey arches..

Equinox, and not a drone in sight. Some colonies hefting very light and with completely empty lower boxes; need to keep a close eye but may provide a good opportunity to swap out comb.

A good weekend for autumn work though. Something very odd going on in colony 1 (my retired first queen). Had taken the dispassionate decision that it was time to merge but I COULD NOT find her. Always elusive but evaded even a couple of sievings and it's only a nuc. Eggs present and a well-hidden QC that I am not 100 pct sure I can account for from the June A/S. All very odd but she gets a stay of execution while I wait a week so see if I have in fact killed her inadvertently.

How long before you expect winter to hit?

Before when seasons were predictable frosts were starting in September. Now I don't expect before October. Snow, before some in October, now I expect in November first snow. But overall it is hard to predict as climate gone to hell..

Here bees ( our Carnies) mainly stop with brood in September, some on small scale at beginning of October ( frame or two). So from October, November, December is said they spend 0,8-1kg of stores ( each month). In January about 1,2-1,5kg. Then in February consumption goes steady up - and when is all right and goes as it should be for our black locust - :party:

Forgot, one season I had one colony which gone hard with brood in October with I think 4 frames full of brood if I recall right. Accidentally I looked in October inside due to spotted increased activity. Before that I knew it had plenty of stores. After that I had to add some ( luckily available) spare frames with stores. In spring queen got detroned.. I assume got some cross with illegaly imported italian queens. ( It was queen bought from " official selection" - but deselected at my apiary..).

Last edited:
:iagree:
I envy you the Robinia (black locust) flow....maybe I'll sow a few seeds here and there :icon_204-2:

The next season I doubt will be good for black locust/ robinia due to this year catastrophic droughts, won't form many flower buds for next season or will be smaller flowers..

But when is all right in robinia flow, awesome happening - not just financial, more is soul food.. I witnessed twice part of such happening and memories are still fresh.

Returned home ill after a week away, staggered up the garden to check on the bees, all 6 colonies looking good. Cheered up after catching up on the forum posts-thanks all.
Now off for a little sleep.
Cazza

Checked inspection trays under three colonies post oxalic.
One still dropping a lot but it's the fourth treatment so that's it!

Just made two wooden Nuc's up in case I need to reduce two colonies into them from full hive for the winter, our 'Poly Nuc's' are being used.

Back