What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am now beeless. My one remaining hive has been robbed out and starved by wasps. Over the last couple of years I have been attending university 200 miles away and despite trying to juggle the two activities my beekeeping has suffered as a result. Missed too many swarms, poor winter and not being around to protect the hives when the wasps came. I'll return to the hobby in a couple of years when I can give them the commitment they deserve. Thanks for all the advise it has been great. So long, and thanks for all the fish!

I am now beeless. My one remaining hive has been robbed out and starved by wasps. Over the last couple of years I have been attending university 200 miles away and despite trying to juggle the two activities my beekeeping has suffered as a result. Missed too many swarms, poor winter and not being around to protect the hives when the wasps came. I'll return to the hobby in a couple of years when I can give them the commitment they deserve. Thanks for all the advise it has been great. So long, and thanks for all the fish!

That's sad .. but stay with us ... there's always something of interest - even if you don't have any bees for a while. There's plenty of time for more bees once you've finished Uni.

That's sad .. but stay with us ... there's always something of interest - even if you don't have any bees for a while. There's plenty of time for more bees once you've finished Uni.

Oh yes I'll definitely be keeping bees once I'm working and more settled. I'll still be reading plenty on here

Be sure to clean all your equipment before it goes into storage. You don't want to come back and find the waxmoths have paid you a visit.
Good luck with your studies...be sure to take your towel :icon_204-2:

If your off to uni you may need a babel Fish.

Be sure to clean all your equipment before it goes into storage. You don't want to come back and find the waxmoths have paid you a visit.
Good luck with your studies...be sure to take your towel :icon_204-2:

Absolutely. I've had greater wax moth damage in the past. Including eating chunks out of my crown boards. I now put everything in a tight stack and burn sulphur every couple of months. When We start up again it will be all one size box and frame. I'll probably sell my commerials once I've cleaned them up and scorched them if anyone is interested?

Last edited:

Give me a shout when you do and I will happily give you a colony.

it will give me a reason to come up to Norfolk for a weekend away with the misses.

sounds good to me. I have tried some very nice Norfolk ales when I came up and met tonybloke that I would love to try again.

sounds good to me. I have tried some very nice Norfolk ales when I came up and met tonybloke that I would love to try again.

Woodfordes Wherry is hard to beat. Humpty Dumpties swallowtail is lovely too. I was lucky enough to run a beer cellar with my family for a few years. Still trying to get rid of the beer belly after 4 years of closing

Sorry to hear about your bees, Ely. Please stay around the forum - rational people are a bit thin on the ground sometimes! ;)

What a lovely offer for Ely!
This is a lovely forum. Such wonderful people.

I was just pondering the spelling.
Did he mean singular female spouse or plural unmarried females? :nono:

Some people would have thought "away from the misses" :leaving:

Lol guys. Its the singular well unless you count 2,000,000+ little misses. Also SWMBO wouldn't allow me to come to such a lovely part of the country without her.

Latest posts

Back