What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Checked one of my AS's for a q with no joy until I looked in one of the supers :hairpull:

Had to put two supers on this hive since thd split so she must have sneeked in at some point.

First extraction of the year - 7 shallows 126lbs :sunning:

... so she must have sneeked in at some point.

Hope it is that - at only 'one' point - and not that she can traverse the Q/E at any time. You would most often find her upstairs, if she can move at will and there is space to lay, because it will be warmer - only coming downstairs when the upstairs space is laid up.

So far...NOTHING! .....my new queens have arrived and I can't do anything as it is cold, raining and blowing a gale!

Put MAQs on 2 hives with a current varroa problem. The others will wait until August I hope. Surprisingly little in the way of any reaction so far. Perhaps one plus side of the coolish weather we are having.......

... so she must have sneeked in at some point.

Hope it is that - at only 'one' point - and not that she can traverse the Q/E at any time. You would most often find her upstairs, if she can move at will and there is space to lay, because it will be warmer - only coming downstairs when the upstairs space is laid up.

Fair point RAB, I did look at the q ex to see if there were any obvious gaps but nothing stood out.
Smoked them all down into the deep and popped the ex on so we'll see. Will take another ex with me next time I visit so can swap them over if need be.

2 days ago I used newspaper to unit 2 colonies, a well establish nuc with a prolific queen and a Q- good sized colony. The Q- was vicious when I united them I had numerous stings in my bee suit, but tonight they were calm, shows what a good female can do. I shook out a failed nuc, ( no queen produced). I now have to find the queen in another colony so I can unite 2 prime swarms. One colony may have to be fed as its getting low on stores, I did give it the frames from the nuc to tide them over.

I reluctantly agreed to pick up a swarm today that came out of a flat roof, nice size which filled a 14x12 5 frame nuc only to find that a swarm had moved into a empty BB in the apiary + a swarm that landed up in my mother-in-law's garden, now I have way too many bees for my liking and spare equipment is running down fast,grrrrr.

Been preparing for four weeks for our local village church market, where our new Local Vicar, invited me to put on an Allotment Stall, and Honey Stall.... All honey extracted, labelled, bunting, towels, tasters, samples, drizzle sticks, observation hive, videos, photographs, electronics tablets, the dogs bollocks, to attract people... for the first village market, and also Allotment Stall as well, with plants/veg/eggs etc

only to be let down today, because she now informs me, my honey not required now, she gave the Honey Stall away to a Church Member, which has some honey for sale! I thought he'd packed it in, a few years ago, this local Beek, and now just has swarmy hives, he does not manage, and just takes a little honey for himself!

Clearly I'm the wrong FAITH! e.g. not CofE !

So I'm fuming.....:mad::mad::mad:

Getting in there!

Finally....and at last....able to go into the hives today....still a bit cool and breezy but the best day so far.
All colonies were well. So that was a plus.
My 2 new Carniolan Queens made their debut into the Bee Yard. So soon they will be heading up the future long hives. The bees were happy to see them and fingers crossed they will soon be laying.
My plans for increase are going fine so far.
I made 6 nucs early in the spring...one failed but the others made new Queens which came from my Lovely Carniolan Queen. The last Queen made her curtsy to the world today and like the others now sports a Blue crown. My OH spotted her. I was much relieved as I always felt the Nuc had a Queen but had not seen her before...a smart black Queen too. How can they be so elusive? I used the one handed queen catcher...which needed two hands but was great to use. I caught our spare queen...managed to put her in a queen cage with a couple of attendants....ready to leave home now.
Lots of first experiences so far this summer...all adding up to getting to be a better beekeeper....I hope.
The main hives were all good.....lots of bees and some honey being capped. Looks like we will have some summer honey after all. All the summer nectars to come yet too.
Back to the kitchen....to pot up my soft set honey.
Everywhere is a little sticky......but pots of gold filling the shelves...how rich I feel!

Spent 5 hours going through all hives, some not doing to well due to june gap others doing really well.

Had to change between the 2 sites due to it being hot in the Apiaries and sweating so much.

Found some bits including a colony of bees that was in a cardboard box have gone missing from one site, since Monday when I was up there last, and im really pissed off as it was going into a Top bar hive which I was preparing.

Spent 5 hours going through all hives, some not doing to well due to june gap others doing really well.

Had to change between the 2 sites due to it being hot in the Apiaries and sweating so much.

Found some bits including a colony of bees that was in a cardboard box have gone missing from one site, since Monday when I was up there last, and im really pissed off as it was going into a Top bar hive which I was preparing.

Sorry but I'm confused. Did the bees abscond from the box or has someone purloined the box?

someone nicked the box but left the plyboard. it was obvious it had bees in it as they were a large colony. which had been in there for about 2 weeks building up some comb to use in getting them to settle in to the top bar hive. it had plyboard over it as a roof and some for flooring to.

A quick check at apiary this at 6.00am, to check all was okay, I've been at a Local Produce Market with a Honey Stall, (9am-1pm) interesting there was another local beek, with his honey from last year, very poor, it had granulated in the jar, didn't look nice in my opinion, in 1lb jars at £3.50 (cock-up with the Church, that asked me four weeks, ago, and then decided to ask another Beek from the Church, and drop me!!!) Well changed at last minute!

I had set honey (creamed) and runny honey from last year, at £5 for 12oz, with free honey tasting, and sold more, I had Hessian Gift Bags with two jars, and honey drizzlers, honey towels, and honey bunting, smoker on the table (not lit), and I wore my beekeeping jacket!

it all makes a difference marketing....and my home made written sign, that SWMBO made me! Which was outside the event!!!

I'm a Business man, not in honey, but IT, so I know how to up market, in sales and marketing and it works.... better labels, better produce...a clear winner.

Children and Adults loved the honey tasting, thanks to the forum for the straws and new and used jam jar idea! (brilliant, worked really well!).

I was surprised how well the Creamed Honey Sold, when people tasted between the two, set creamed and runny.

Lots of interested people in my bees, The Local Beek came over, and asked me how I get my honey like that, I asked him to try, and he refused at first, and I said, oh go on....

He loved it so much, I swapped it for a 1lb jar of his, and he bought 2 jars from me.

That was rather special, another Beek, purchasing honey from another Beek, makes me feel like a have a quality product!

Anyway the good news, I now have enough from todays sale, to purchase a 9 frame electric extractor!

So a good honey sale! Despite the Local Beek also selling honey!

A quick check at apiary this at 6.00am, to check all was okay, I've been at a Local Produce Market with a Honey Stall, (9am-1pm) interesting there was another local beek, with his honey from last year, very poor, it had granulated in the jar, didn't look nice in my opinion, in 1lb jars at £3.50 (cock-up with the Church, that asked me four weeks, ago, and then decided to ask another Beek from the Church, and drop me!!!) Well changed at last minute!

I had set honey (creamed) and runny honey from last year, at £5 for 12oz, with free honey tasting, and sold more, I had Hessian Gift Bags with two jars, and honey drizzlers, honey towels, and honey bunting, smoker on the table (not lit), and I wore my beekeeping jacket!

it all makes a difference marketing....and my home made written sign, that SWMBO made me! Which was outside the event!!!

I'm a Business man, not in honey, but IT, so I know how to up market, in sales and marketing and it works.... better labels, better produce...a clear winner.

Children and Adults loved the honey tasting, thanks to the forum for the straws and new and used jam jar idea! (brilliant, worked really well!).

I was surprised how well the Creamed Honey Sold, when people tasted between the two, set creamed and runny.

Lots of interested people in my bees, The Local Beek came over, and asked me how I get my honey like that, I asked him to try, and he refused at first, and I said, oh go on....

He loved it so much, I swapped it for a 1lb jar of his, and he bought 2 jars from me.

That was rather special, another Beek, purchasing honey from another Beek, makes me feel like a have a quality product!

Anyway the good news, I now have enough from todays sale, to purchase a 9 frame electric extractor!

So a good honey sale! Despite the Local Beek also selling honey!

How fabulous...well done and congratulations......glad they liked your creamed honey too....we love ours!

How fabulous...well done and congratulations......glad they liked your creamed honey too....we love ours!

Thanks, it was a big surprise for me, and I think the Taste Test Sells it!

It certainly has paid for the stainless steel creamer for my drill, and all that effort was worth it!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-33209548
Given the knock-on effect of ecosystems being destroyed, the report says benefits such as pollination by bees could be lost within three human generations.
Wowee!!

I wonder how many people care or how many stick their head in the sand like with climate change?

The biggest travesty is that as a species, we seem dead set on destroying as much biodiversity as we can and ultimately the world we live in.

Anyway, enough of this nonsense, what's on tv tonight?

Latest posts

Back