What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yellowrage,, have you a mentor?? best way to stop worrying... relax, listen to nature, just be gentle with those bees, as long as queen ok and they have food they will be fine.
We all lose bees sometime, so never beat yourself up... unless they have starved- that's unforgivable.
You will be fine :winner1st: Sleepless nights do stop after 2nd year.;)

Sat watching lots and lots of pollen going in all hives which is nice to see. The neighbours still dont know what all the little yellow dots are on their cars:)
Cleaned all inspection boards with only one giving concern as it has lots of eggs on. Will monitor. Laying worker from past experience:-( Will go in when it warms up and hope im wrong and they have just been having a clear out:)

watched all colonies exept 2 bringing pollen in by the bucket load.. and hefted hives.. all are getting light

Offered a great out apiary in Wirksworth so I can continue with beekeeping

Good news Ely, not that I knew that you were needing one!

Topped up the fondant on one of the nucs and the Cardiganshire hooligans!! bit like last year, not a peep out of them all winter then they go into overdrive - hive as light as a feather and hoovering up the fondant, Keep an eye on that one (hive number six) Redwood!!! (top of the list for making increase from this year I think :D
As an aside (sorry to upset the never digress from topic stazi minority) my seven year old niece taught me how to use 'face time' ??? on her i-pod which she has loaned me for the Africa trip

Well I was going shopping for some shoes, and I hate shopping, so when our swarm organiser phoned to ask if I could rescue some bees from a wall about to be 'renovated' I thought bee safety much more important.
The bedroom wall, in Woodmancote, had had a brick removed initially, and the clue for them was buzzing, and honey down the wall where comb had broken free. They obviously evacuated the room... but not before some (must be polite) person had sprayed the escapees on a window with a yellow noxious substance.
I had quite a task ahead, as the comb seemed to extend quite a way, and some very fresh, some old and black.. been there a while then.

I hammered out some bricks, and except for a few guards the bees were very well behaved. What an encouraging sign, 2 comb of brood, and about 15 comb of honey.
5 hours later, I had the bees mostly contained in the hive I had taken over, and more in the 2 boxes I had to 'borrow' to contain all the comb, honey, bees and pollen stores. One box of wax too heavy for me to lift so a very brave builder carried it downstairs for me. I lent him a suit.
Hot bath on homecoming as the honey had saturated my suit and invaded inner clothing.:blush5:
I left them to settle overnight and today they are in a new hive with some original comb framed using elastic bands to keep it in place.

Note to people re spraying.. some bees returned to the colony with yellow poison on them, possibly polluting the colony.- never spray unless you can contain all insects. And then ...never honey bees :nono:

Note to Bee Assoc... the householder was told by them to get in pest control to destroy, as walls too difficult... shame on you!
Would attach pics but still struggle with that one despite advice..

As a pest controller, advising homeowner to call in pest control is not a good idea....unless its me .......

:iagree:

and they had 5 hours tuition yesterday. The carpenters even offered to make up brood boxes cheaper than M........e too.

:iagree:

and they had 5 hours tuition yesterday. The carpenters even offered to make up brood boxes cheaper than M........e too.

Well done Heather! In defense of the BA maybe the communicator did not explain that they were happy for the wall to be hacked about? Insurance not valid if 'building work' is needed, I believe.

Great work Heather. Will be interested to see how they progress and what their varroa load turns out to be.

If they have been treated with insecticide do you think they will have any chance?
I would think it meant a brood box and whatever else contaminated. Good on you for having a go but if you had known they had been sprayed would you have gone?

Latest posts

Back