What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Decided not to drive all the way to the association apiary to take our 'clearing the supers for extracting' lesson as the forecast was grim, it was pissistently raining and a tad cold - no way beginners would come out in this! twenty minutes past ten, as i was waiting for Redwood to call to pick some 'stuff' up - phonecall from association sec, to say there was a crowd waiting for me at the gates!! so off Redwood and I rushed to get there, half an hour later to find........... all but one had gone home. Put modified rhombus clearer on in reasonably nice weather albeit a bit cold then decided to have a quick look at the two nucs I've 'adopted' - until recently on shallow frames now in a deep national box. The darker queen is laying like a good un and the bees have drawn free comb down to the bottom of the nuc. The other, slightly lighter queen are starting to draw comb but have also built a supersedure cell - with resident grub and not long from capping!. Ah well, just leave them get on with it and hope for the best.
Went home to a late lunch of cold tongue and then packed away all the supers and wet frames, then decided to have my first dabble at chunk honey - not bad but a few wax flakes in two, but I'm hoping the other two are good enough for showing. Also cut and packed fifteen lots of cut comb.

Replaced the top box of experimental hive as the electronics had gone faulty. A dead short in the left hand 8 sensors. The culprit appears to a be a duff load of epoxy that the sensor board were glued in and coated with. Will have to replace the lower box next week as its sensors also went AWOL.

Meanwhile, the beekeeper had to resort to actually feeding some of the colonies as the heather has stopped and not produced much and the ivy hasnt started.

Quick look around , the odd wasp harvesting dead bees , sunny for the moment but the rain clouds are gathering . Knotweed is in full flower in the area but bees are still working the balsam :) .
I think clearing boards later this week !

Honey extraction gear being prepared :D
VM

udapuba9.jpg

Yeah!

VM what a splendid setup!

You're an inspiration to those of us who muddle through.

Dusty

P.s. if I bring mine over next year, will you do it for me?
I'm fed up of 'er indoors complaining for weeks that everywhere in the kitchen is sticky.
(Doesn't stop her filching jars for all her friends and acquaintances!)

Last edited:
VM what a splendid setup!

You're an inspiration to those of us who muddle through.

Dusty

P.s. if I bring mine over next year, will you do it for me?
I'm fed up of 'er indoors complaining for weeks that everywhere in the kitchen is sticky.
(Doesn't stop her filching jars for all her friends and acquaintances!)

All simple stuff Dusty.
Deep cleaned and used for extracting once a year :)
Sink unit from skip, work tops ,mis measures ,layout, more by accident than design :D
VM
John.

I extract in my sun room/conservatory as it's so warm and the honey just flows.
I need a sink though.
My husband might notice one in there though :(

We had a sun room for awhile!
Until the roofer replaced the utility room slates :)
VM

All simple stuff Dusty.
Deep cleaned and used for extracting once a year :)
Sink unit from skip, work tops ,mis measures ,layout, more by accident than design :D
VM
John.

Put that on the market in my neck of the woods and you would be looking at £250k for honey processing premises of that size ... a beach hut sold for £65000 a couple of weeks ago !

Looks a really nice set up VM ...

MAQS on bigger hive, super moved below Brood box - will monitor if it gets emptied i might remove it.
fed Nuc - gone through 2ltr in 48hrs - Not going to treat with MAQS as every bee and Egg is needed to help this Nuc, if they make it to christmas i will trickle Oxalic

marked out new position for small gate - No more lifting stuff over the fence

obviously hasn't been to Southport

As a Yorkshireman I hesitate to tell you that I have been (UNARMED but icognito) to Blackpool illuminations and to Southport ... and I've even visited Wigan Pier ... rained on me every time ... cleared up as soon as I returned to God's Own County ...

Latest posts

Back