What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Extracted what I think are my last two supers of honey this year and ordered my jar labels from T's

Full inspection intended and almost completed...

1. Nuc - going on well but will need feeding up for winter...
2. Nuc moved to WBC 2 weeks ago - expanding well - but again will need feeding for winter.
3. Poly Nat...Good, BB and 1 super plus 1 super for us. Should be ready next week.
4. Poly Nat...Overflowing, 1 super for them 1 for us plus one put on for space but empty of stores.
5...Hive from hell. Wooden national. Nice and calm as we removed 2 supers and QE - then we loosened the last super from BB and OH lifted...I looked down and saw that 3 frames from the BB were attached to the super frames:hairpull: Asked OH to 'PUT IT BACK - QUICKLY AND V V CAREFULLY!!'...which he did; but thousands of bees poured out all over us with an overwhelming smell of chemical banana. :calmdown:

I couldn't see due to bees all over veil, fell off the raised bed the hive sits on and ended up on the floor smothered in bees. OH managed to get the hive together, being stung in the process. We walked several hundred yards from the hive, walking through shrub and bushes (at which point I was stung on the face) and managed to get into the house some 20 minutes later when they went home.

Suits had in excess of 40 stings, gloves 10+ each hand...luckily OH only had one go through. Not a good end.

:sorry:

"After 12 hours of much needed rain the flow is back on "

sorry to be pedantic but the evidence provided by that picture is that the bees are out collecting pollen. can't say anything about nectar.

Wow ... those are leggings that would be more at home in FAME .... Da da da da di da da ... I'm gonna live forever . Remember - remember - remember ??

That's maize pollen, the bees pile it in, neonics and all although allegedly not this year.

Chris

"After 12 hours of much needed rain the flow is back on "

sorry to be pedantic but the evidence provided by that picture is that the bees are out collecting pollen. can't say anything about nectar.

It is not only pollen , took the photo after I saw at least 8 bees arrive at once in a similar state , would they arrive on mass again no, best i could do was 2 . The rest of the hives are all busy as well , just went dark with possible shower in the distance , it was like Victoria station at rush hour , all trying to pile back in .
Saw a couple spinning on the floor like they had been sprayed , not neonics more likely the nurserymen spraying in the fields behind us yet again .

Some who are threatened with this neonic maize pollen put pollen catchers while it is flowering.. To reduce amount of it in the hives.

As I've said before, my bees have been on this stuff year after year after year with no obvious issues with the maize and the sunflower and the OSR - they are all dressed with it or have been....

.....and then if you use pollen traps what do you do with the pollen, sell it I suppose as a health food.

Chris

As I've said before, my bees have been on this stuff year after year after year with no obvious issues with the maize and the sunflower and the OSR - they are all dressed with it or have been....

.....and then if you use pollen traps what do you do with the pollen, sell it I suppose as a health food.

Chris

I still doesn't collect pollen ( time and money issue always). I don't have near me maize fields ( my bees are in some "wild" area). When heard that I didn't ask what they did with it, but for that short period I think they throw it I presume ( or as You say maybe not).
Now when You say healthy food.. Wouldn't that be poetic justice as claimed there is no harm from neonics in food, so if no harm it is healthy?

"It is not only pollen , took the photo after I saw at least 8 bees arrive at once in a similar state"

similar state as in pollen laden? again only indicates good source of pollen and uninformative re nectar flow.

Went to look at some bees for sale in Selby. I am going back tomorrow night to collect a nuc which is stuffed with bees and has a laying queen. There are a couple of full hives also for sale if anyone is interested pm me for the lady owners contact details.

Opened both of my 'honey factories' this afternoon and the flow is definitely over but no trace yet of honeydew which, going by previous years, will be the next input.

put my uncapper and table together wooo hoooo
can you tell I'm happy lol

Opened both of my 'honey factories' this afternoon and the flow is definitely over but no trace yet of honeydew which, going by previous years, will be the next input.

really? I think most of my honey this year was from honeydew... I have really dark runny honey. Is there another flow to come in London then?

put my uncapper and table together wooo hoooo
can you tell I'm happy lol

I'll have to find an excuse to come up and see that. Oh yes! got a spanset strap here that belongs to you.
(don't mention the buckets to SWMBO!)

n the apiary today I sorted some stuff out to go top the association bee jumble next week - not that I have much stuff kicking around you understand but you have to supprt a good social evening :D. Then sat watching the bees - massive clouds of bees on orientation flights on No1 hive, also the first bunch of new bees on one of my new queens orienting. As well as the last bunch of emergers of the queen currently residing in the freezer, her predecessor started laying last week.
Lots of bees working, I presume on the willowherb - still piles around me and maybe a start on the balsam

Last edited:
Roola

Mine don't start bringing in honeydew until mid-August yes, black and with a distinctive Figgy aroma. Up til now it's been pale getting a bit darker maybe from brambles.

VEG
that looks the business!....wish I had enough H to warrant something similar

Roola

Mine don't start bringing in honeydew until mid-August yes, black and with a distinctive Figgy aroma. Up til now it's been pale getting a bit darker maybe from brambles.

VEG
that looks the business!....wish I had enough H to warrant something similar

Ohh its cost me a fair few pairs of shoes lol

Latest posts

Back