What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 'White Queen' in an over-wintered hive has slowed right down and virtually stopped laying by when I inspected last week (no sign of supercedure) so bought a mated Q from 'KSB' and introduced her into a 4 frame made-up nuc.
The new Q is happily laying so united the colony with the nuc this afternoon = after removing the poor old dear RIP

Got roasted when the bellows/handle came away and I instinctively caught the body... Ouch!!!

On the plus side, all three hives are thriving and #2 is on 9 good frames of BIAS, so I might get to make increase this year after all :)

went back to see if the queen that flew away yesterday had come back, she is now safely in a nuc.

First beginners practical in the association apiary this morning - so many turned up we ran out of suits. One young lass turned up with her mother just 'on spec' as she had a half term assignment on bees so she got plenty of material.
Had a look inside my hive down there (first visit for me, they've been cared for by the apiary manager until now as they're on loan to the teaching apiary.)
Still as laid back as ever, the queen (2010 vintage) is still going like a traiin - seven frames of wall to wall brood and layning on the outside of frame number 8 she posed for a couple of minutes for all the beginners to have their first sight of a queen before carrying on her business.
Hive now supered and plans for a demarree definitely on the cards.

oh forgot today was the first time I have seen one of my queens actually lay an egg while i watched I was quite chuffed. Usually they are walking around when I watch them.

Filthy weather this week, so went to see what damage the sun had done yesterday.

Having collected cast yesterday evening, I went through and discovered it almost certainly came from my strongest colony whose queen did a midnight flit a couple of weeks ago.

All else OK, until I got to my second strongest. three or four large swarm cells approaching the point of being capped. All the signs these bees were going to swarm, too. A lot of noise and activity, but no industry. Went home for breakfast so I could get back by midday to be there if they went.

They left at 1100, about five minutes before i got back to the apiary and very generously landed in a sycamore about 8' off the ground. Had meant to bring back a cleaned up nuc from home to house them but had forgotten it, so made up a box and shook them in. Assuming they stay, I will house them tonight.

http://youtu.be/AQViTzAGXDY

After a couple more hours, I went home for a late lunch and as we finished, my missus asked what my bee were doing in the garden. To which I replied I have no bees in the garden. Well, I didn't until then.

A swarm had decided to land in my garden and take occupy (too early to say take up residency, but orientation flights are plentiful) the nuc I had forgotten to take with me earlier.

http://youtu.be/_zEvhgkf6oU

http://youtu.be/WIgoK_Lv0ZE

http://youtu.be/SNW5daMHDGA

http://youtu.be/VsbRJ9LrRzA

2 hives that I had previously taken out 5 frames of brood and stores for use in nucs needed their 3rd supers and one is now on a second brood box and the other has been split due to queen cells being spotted, so I now have 2 stacks of 2 14x12bb and 3 supers, how high will it get before the OSR finishes?

These days we have your "English weather" - rain, rain and more rain.. But I managed today to fill one mating nuc. First time, first mating nuc, I hope it won't go wrong.. So I will hopefully have some queens in reserve, already saw some which should be replaced ( I will shorten their family tree unfortunately..).

Because of the miserable weather I had not managed to inspect however today dawned bright and clear and be noon the temp had reached 16C:winner1st:

Started at my out apiary (a woodland clearing fenced to keep out deer, wild boar and the "Chasse" dogs) and was greeted by a swarm cluster on the gate! Easy peasy to collect and while I was waiting for them to settle I went through the 3 hives - 2 queen right, in that there were fresh eggs present and no queen cells, but spotting a marked yellow queen when the broom is in full flow is a nightmare!!. 1 hive sealed and open queen cells - rats. left 2 charged open cells and will reduce to 1 when they are sealed.

Did one more little job before relaxing for the night - closed up one hive and strapped it tight ready for a move to my friend's parents' orchard at Garn Cottage he's coming to help me move it in the morning (to save my aching back as I've been in the garden all afternoon and evening) I've decided that 0830 is a good time to move (he likes his lie-ins) :D

What did I do? PANIC! :eek:
Why -we were worried because we'd not seen bees flying from one of the hives for the past few days because of the cold, wet weather here this week. Opened hive and saw on the super what I had feared - starvation - heads tight into empty cells and a few dead, not quite hatched bees with tongues out!
This hive had increased very quickly - we'd put a super on a few weeks ago - but then the weird weather turned up and over a month we might have had two days a week fine, so I'd asked a another beekeeper at the beginning of the week whether I should feed them.
Immediately, we got our syrup out, and dribbled some down the frames where the bees were. Found the queen, she was still alive. Took off the super and brood box - there was a pile of dead bees on the floor of the hive - so we shook those into a box, re-established the hive and dribbled some syrup onto the hive and on the bees in the box, now in the sunshine.
Although we've lost a lot of bees - the weather hit zero last night as well so I don't think that helped - within a hour of being in the sun, putting a feeder on and just keeping an eye on them, they were flying again from that hive and a few were recovering in the box, to the extent that the remaining bees there were walking en-mass back into the hive by the evening.
Tomorrow more thicker syrup whilst the fondant thaws out from the freezer as the weather over the next few days is wet and windy again!
If we'd not checked today, we might have lost the whole hive, so even at tis time of year, check and check again for stores!

Made a box jig to try and keep them a bit more square than usual. Assembled one brood and three supers. They were a bit more square.

Cleaned up some Manley frames I bought in an auction. Dug through a box of frame bits I bought at the same auction and put together another nine Manleys.

Melted the wax scrapings from the old frames. Mowed the grass up to about a metre from the hives.

Spotted a Moss Carder bee (Bombus muscorum).

picture.php

Last edited:
went to look at bees{ on my daughters bike} never againe because i didnt take a suit and got stung twice on the arm then killed a drone layer and united hive

Caught a swarm of orange bees. No idea whose they might be, not mine - wrong colour.

Marked a Q, my first attempt :hurray:
Hope she's still there next inspection lol

Yesterday revealed a 9 frame BIAS national deep with swarming intentions, evinced by 12 QCs, half charged and with 4 day old larvae, spread across 2 frames.

Today, nuc'd the QC frames, posted HM into a prepared 14x12 on a frame of open brood, QX on that, super, Horsley board and parent colony sans QCs above.

I've only gone and put the board on backwards!! Twit! Ah well soon remedied on the morrow and fingers crossed it curtails them, but I have my doubts.

Also delivered a 6 frame nuc, with all 6 packed with brood, to a chum. Boy, did those girls need the space?! :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back