What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did the oxalic on 18 hives 12 of mine and two friends, 4 of mine look weak and may not make it through to spring. Collected a few stings as well, first of the new year. Gave some fondant to some as they were getting a bit light, the rest had plenty of stores.

Roll on spring

unpacked my first poly hives, cannot wait to try them out :D

Got my first earlier in the year, very pleased and have ordered another. Interesting to note it's by far the busiest of the 5.

Administered OA on my number one colony today (brood and a half)...absolutely heaving with bees ! Really all looking strong and active...I was soooo impressed. Did not expect to see such activity.:hurray: Two colonies (single brood boxes) to do tomorrow if weather permits. More anxious about them and their progress...small colonies...watch this space !

was planning to oxalic and give fondant to a small late swarm which had occupied a stored bait hive which i only discovered week before xmas.

Unfortunately mouse had been in and done it's worse - at least it saved me the bother of transferring the frames to a poly nuc etc etc. plus on the upside have a lovely nest to use to attract bumbles to nest boxes.

Nice day yesterday, pleased to see a few bees flying😄

Final sting count from yesterday 43 stings but felt fine afterwards and now in the nice thickly stage. My forearms look like Popeye's and my back looks like a mountain range but good to know my reactions might be calming down. Wouldn't choose this way of finding out by choice! Going back today to put on 2 blocks of fondant. Gulp.

Final sting count from yesterday 43 stings but felt fine afterwards and now in the nice thickly stage. My forearms look like Popeye's and my back looks like a mountain range but good to know my reactions might be calming down. Wouldn't choose this way of finding out by choice! Going back today to put on 2 blocks of fondant. Gulp.

How did you manage to get stung at all? Your PPE must be very poor?
Cazza

How on earth did you let such a thing happen?? Thats horrendous, not to mention downright dangerous.

Not using any smoke or protective clothing? In really cold weather its usually OK, but if not and the bees are 'coming up' out of the seams then you need a wee puff of smoke to deter them and let you get the fondant on without trauma to either yourself or the bees.

How on earth did you let such a thing happen?? Thats horrendous, not to mention downright dangerous.

Not using any smoke or protective clothing? In really cold weather its usually OK, but if not and the bees are 'coming up' out of the seams then you need a wee puff of smoke to deter them and let you get the fondant on without trauma to either yourself or the bees.
:iagree:
Opening the hive .... Suit up, light smoker.

Checked amount of fondant left and they have hardly touched it, one colony doing cleaning flights (dark bees) the other 2 all indoors

Told the wife wasnt doing anything to do with bees this weekend :spy:
Good she said, what you up to...........Oh I have got a few trees to plant, wanna give me a hand........:biggrinjester: yes that would be nice as its a nice day came the swift reply.
So 150 x 6ft willow whips, 20 hazel, 20 hawthorn, 20 sloe and 20 silver birch and about 4 hours later when we were doing the last batch, the silver birch, she said, do bees get anything from silver birch ?
No I said, oh right she said, for a minute there I thought we had ended up spending the day doing bee stuff together....... as if !

Pete D

Good she said, what you up to...........Oh I have got a few trees to plant, wanna give me a hand........:biggrinjester: yes that would be nice as its a nice day came the swift reply.
So 150 x 6ft willow whips, 20 hazel, 20 hawthorn, 20 sloe and 20 silver birch and about 4 hours later when we were doing the last batch, the silver birch, she said, do bees get anything from silver birch ?
No I said, oh right she said, for a minute there I thought we had ended up spending the day doing bee stuff together....... as if !

Pete D

:icon_204-2:

Pete D

In 10 years you will be able to tap the silver birch and get about 1gal of sap from each. this you can use to make either wine or boil down and make your own version of silver birch syrup (like maple).

Pete D

Mine gave me a lift treating with oxalic acid yesterday :)
We were close to the hives (not much activity)' she Said "Oh!, I haven't put my veil up." I think you'd better I said :) working on second hive ,she said, "I think there's a bee inside my veil" . Sure enough, there was , I squashed it for her but not before it had stung her in her throat (external of course).
Luckily she is no drama Queen and wouldn't allow me to remove the sting until we have finished all colonies and returned home as she didn't want me to fiddle until I had washed my hands !
I must add, Margaret's reaction to stings is minimal to zero .
VM

fed with neopoll .straight on it

Never felt the need for pollen substitutes , never had a year in 20 odd when it was required!
Snowdrops kick it off quickly followed by willow et al .
VM

Attempted a stocktake and a tidy up of my bee boxes. Even went to I KEY AH to purchase some new clear plastic tubs!
Bought all the wrong sizes and lost the will to live!

Latest posts

Back