What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice pics Goran, having the top one on the white flower alongside for comparison I can see it is a bee.....that just happens to look like a hoverfly seen from a certain angle!

A lot of activity

13.00 today 9C a lot of activity today from all 4

picture.php

About 11C here, just went to see if they were poking their noses out- all 4 going like the clappers, bringing in pollen and nectar! :D A lot on a Mahonia about 500 yards from the hives, plus I'm guessing Viburnum tinus and maybe a bit of winter heather.

About 10C here too. All hives active. Neighbouring chimney bees active and collecting water from gutters.

I did my first OA treatment this morning, Hive one, normally very calm went mental and attacked everything in sight, hive two still as calm as ever, managed to get stung three times, one through the veil and right on the end of my nose. as I've not been stung before, I'm quite pleased with the result, a little redness but no pain or swelling so now I know I'm not allergic or anything I can look forward to getting more bees this year.

Regards
CD

Hi Goran,
Beautiful shots! What lense are you using for close-ups?

Hi Skyhook,
Mine are flying off today as well, but no pollen? I guess Dorset is a bit ahead of my area. Got a Mahonia in the garden just comming into flower. Be nice to get a bit of sunshine to bring things on or perhaps not?

Treated both hives with oxalic acid. My first time so hope all will be ok.

I did my first OA treatment this morning, Hive one, normally very calm went mental and attacked everything in sight, hive two still as calm as ever, managed to get stung three times, one through the veil and right on the end of my nose. as I've not been stung before, I'm quite pleased with the result, a little redness but no pain or swelling so now I know I'm not allergic or anything I can look forward to getting more bees this year.

Regards
CD

Its the second time that you realise ur alergic not the first im affraid.

11c today so a lot of bees flying, some re-orientating. No pollen being brought in though.

Hi Goran,
Beautiful shots! What lense are you using for close-ups?

Nothing special. Olympus FE 230, amateur photo camera ( bought in 2007. but still working and collecting pics). Also except the shooting, I try to predict the situation ( insect moving) and to prepare camera to be steady when shoot. Of course later pic. cropping when sharing..
To don't be misunderstood picture isn't from today:)

Regards
CD
i got stung on my nose. had same reaction. then after a few stings on differant time stings very bad, dont be fooled sometimes good sometimes bad depeneds where on body i take an anti-histamine before going near my hives at the height of season and in winter months take one if i get stung

Last edited:
Today I commissioned my resident handyman (hubby) to make me a Snelgrove board for the upcoming season - I want to try my hand at this method of swarm control. I will have advice as my mentor uses this method.

Its the second time that you realise ur alergic not the first im affraid.

i got stung on my nose. had same reaction. then after a few stings on differant time stings very bad, dont be fooled sometimes good sometimes bad depeneds where on body i take an anti-histamine before going near my hives at the height of season and in winter months take one if i get stung

I'm probably missing something glaringly obvious but why are second time stings, stings at different times and stings on other parts of the body different to the first time stings?

I think I'll have to try wearing a baseball cap or something with a big peak to keep the veil away from my face.

I have antihistamines in stock just in case, I'm also on immuno supressants and steroids for a long standing condition, maybe that will help.

Regards
CD

Oxalic acid done on 5 hives, 3 of my own and Village Girls 2. All but one appear very healthy with bees on 7 and 8 seems. The other was a small cast swarm now on 4 seems and I would say these are doing very well to. Hive dummied up and well insulated. So very pleased with them all. Appear to have stores but put 1kg fondant on for good measure.

I'm probably missing something glaringly obvious but why are second time stings, stings at different times and stings on other parts of the body different to the first time stings?

I think I'll have to try wearing a baseball cap or something with a big peak to keep the veil away from my face.

I have antihistamines in stock just in case, I'm also on immuno supressants and steroids for a long standing condition, maybe that will help.

Regards
CD

Be careful of these they can cause adverse reactions when stung.

the reason the first sting doesnt show up the alergy is ur body has never had the venum in it before so isnt aware of it, its like loading a gun, the first sting is the bullet going in, the next could be either ok or a shot, just like russian roulette.

Latest posts

Back