What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick scoot around the hives to take out inspection boards and check fondant, a few bees out and about in the sunshine andall hives now tucking into the fondant to some extent so will have to top up next week after I have my work break - i.e. a break from home to do some work!!

Apiary visit 1st jan 2013!

3 colonies checked for varroa 3 weeks ago, one colony had a few so treated with oxalic today, honey super moved to lightest hive from heaviest, will add candy this week. All clusters look well.

Two hives treated with OA, both fine and not taken any fondant yet. Nuc (?DLQ) also treated, now a single seam of bees, didn't think it would survive this far.

Did OA on all of them. All but one were good strong colonies. The other is headed by my new ( autumn) Buckfast queen, so will wait and see.

Took the opportunity to weigh them ( all OK), clear entrances, and put wood preserver on.

Bright sunshine all day but max 8 degrees

Cleared out the entrance to my one hive and had a peek through to see the cluster that has gradually moved since last month, fingers crossed :)

My Italians have been very active - they've already scoffed most of their stores and are now tucking into dry sugar and candy with a vengeance.

Although active, they've been stuck indoors for quite some time - today I spotted a few traces of diarrhoea near the entrance - will need to keep my eye on that.

Thursday and Friday are predicted to be 12 degrees, so should be a lot more poop around then.
LJ

Moved one of my Hives to a sheltered position and checked stores on others. A beautiful day in Cornwall hope you all had the same,Happy new yearbee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smillie

Went and did Oa for my hives today, one had 5 seams of bees the rest were 8,9 or 10 seams, had to pop fondant on 4 and I think the rest will need fondant by the end of the month.

Helped with the BKA hives today, 1 dead, 1 with 2 seams, 2 with 3 seams, 1 with 4 seams and 1 with 7 all so light they could be lifted with 2 fingers if u wanted to so all got fondant. Have a feeling the BKA may end with only 1 or 2 hives at the end of winter.

had a few roofs that were leaking, so i refelted them and added fondant to my nucs.

Apibioxal vapoured onto three hives - the volume of response variable. One very weak Nuc (possibly died out) excused treatment. Too cold to open up so fingers crossed they hold a critical mass to make the Spring and not join the ever expanding 'Winter Losses' roll call... Best wishes to all members for 13...

Helped with the BKA hives today ... all so light they could be lifted with 2 fingers if u wanted to so all got fondant.

Maybe a timely warning that the warm weather has encouraged them to eat more than usual.

Removed the paving slabs from under the stands and replaced with gravel. moved 2 hives a few inches to the the right to make space for a hive to AS in spring when needed! All quiet today not one bee came out.

Just watching bees fly around today and wondering.. Night temp. -4, day temp +4 to 5. And they are flying for a long period of day ( sunny). Also visiting some flowers but as I can see just for training. It looks to me they are going into new season much earlier..
But real winter didn't came yet. Will see..

It's small amateur photo camera. Even so I made a lot of photos, mainly for our joy. I'm not good in photography - just pressing the button. :). Something come out ( pretty or not)..

That's the beauty of digital photography - you can take hundreds of photos, and if only one turns out great - it hasn't cost you anything - took me a while to get used to that, first time in Rome with a digital SLR took less than 200 hundred photos, the next year over a thousand

Latest posts

Back