What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fed quite a few hives yesterday as they needed food.

Today I started the local queen rearing program, in very heavy rain. Two methods deployed initially (more to follow, most likely grafting). We are nine virgins up already on day 0. ;)

inspected eight 14x12 swarm Nucs./ recently hived swarms and one queenless colony , really windy, just a quick inspection, normally i would defer inspections on days like this but needs must, it was 19c

I decided to feed all but one of them 4pints of ambrosia inverted sugar each as none had sufficient store , i will inspect my main hives early next week on their 7 days cycles but none last week appeared to be low on liquid stores

Quite surprised how low some of the smaller swarm Nuc were on capped and liquid stores, one was almost all heads in....hopefully will improve if it stops raining

Then moves two hive closer to gether by 3ft each, almost close enough now to combine

Last edited:
Made up some syrup (!) topped up feed on one of the home hives and got feeder ready for the away hive which i'll open tomorrow as the weather is promised to be better. Cut up some more plywood (OSB for roofs this time).
Spent a pleasant afternoon with our local BKA queen rearing group. Unfortunately due to the weather (we think) bees had emtied out the eggs/larvae from the jenter cage so we just spent an hour or two discussing the future aims of the queen rearing group and the usual bitching about others (well it is Wales you know :)) Avoided the topic of Rugby :eek:

Topped up feeder on swarm I recovered on Monday, had a quick peek inside and they've been busily drawing comb, but too windy to have a proper look.

Oh, and had a call from the bee inspector, who is coming to take a look at both hives on Monday.

we got syrup ready to feed and ...

ended up not only taking the syrup back but some frames of honey as well ...
they certainly dont need feeding this week.

and even the swarm hadnt finished off their second litre ...

Just done an inspection on my two hives 1 holding it's own with I little honey in the first super the second hive is full of brood with all but one frame full and heaving with loads of bees but no honey in the supers so I put a 1-1 feed on (did I do right)

I cut the grass at the entrance to the front of the hives and fed the bees wax and honey from last year's harvest. All doing well - for now. Also did a stock-take of equipment I need for the harvest pre and post - sheesh!

After two weeks of dodgy weather it's 19 today and low wind. Looks a lot like both nucs I have with virgin queens have had mating flights. Fingers crossed

Last edited:
its started at 11:30 am watching a swarm take off ... first time I've seen one in the air very impressive, what tremendous noise they make!

We saw the fast bees trying to direct it, but the swarm appear to ignore the those bees and it slowly coalesce in in next doors garden, but hanging from our 10ft high hedge. A tense moment as we had nt "outed " our bees. Our neighbours were very interested in the bees and are saving the jar of honey we gave them for when they tell their grandchildren when they visit about the bees. Phew! thats lucky! Bee friendly neighbours. They asked if their grandchildren can come round and see the Bees!

The rest of the day was consumed in scraping together and even building kit to house them in.

Last edited:
went through my hives today lost one split to starvation ended up splitting 2 other hives due to swarm cells.

Checked colonies got stung on the nut,(hole in veil ) still some stores hope for fine weather this week, lots of bees doing orientation flights

Checked the hive in the garden. Few stores in the brood box, but plenty in the super.

Lots of bees flying and out, hopefully getting the chance to stock up now that the weather has been better.

checked on 1 hive in a village, not much stores so fed it and got stung twice for my sins. They seemed to be bringing in lots of pollen though.

Nadired 4th box. Bees very busy today. Cleaned the Warre floor, lots of chalk brood. Wondering if I should sprinkle sand on the floor, perhaps it would stop re-infection of the combs as bees walk over the chalk brood. Or something absorbent?

Well started as a normal day, went to place a bait hive where I collected a swarm from a few days ago. On the way home called in to check on a couple of hives, just checking the first when I got a phone call: one of my home hives had swarmed so packed up and hot footed it home.

And there it was, a prime swarm about 35ft up a tree, so out came the ladders. Took some planning but eventually attached a rope to the branch they were using as home then passed it over another branch before cutting the 'home' branch and lowering gently to the ground. Collected them in a box and popped them in a hive I was planning to use for a nuc that needs a home.

Last I checked they were all safely tucked in for the night, let’s hope they stay put!

Looked into the hive they came from, 2 sealed Qc’s decided to leave both, took down 5 cups, all of which had larva in.

Other that just a normal day!

Martin

Had to artificial a colonie for the second time. First time was 14th of may and they have built up so much that today there was 6 q cells in hive. Probably got one more to do on wednesday.. And picked up a small swarm

Nadired 4th box. Bees very busy today. Cleaned the Warre floor, lots of chalk brood. Wondering if I should sprinkle sand on the floor, perhaps it would stop re-infection of the combs as bees walk over the chalk brood. Or something absorbent?

Are you sure it's chalk brood or is it chilled brood? if it's chalk brood in any great numbers then there's only one sure fire solution - replace the queen.

Latest posts

Back