What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Managed to tip over a quadruple brood nuc as I was adjusting the strap after vaping it. I hadn’t managed to transfer it to a full size hive due to lack of kit earlier in the season and I think it’s too late now to be doing it now. It split between the 2nd and 3rd boxes. Fortunately no structural damage other than some dents. Put it all back together and strapped it down well. Bees were surprisingly calm, no stings despite my incompetence. Just hope the queen is okay.
Well if you have the kit why not? The forecast for your location this week is for temperatures to reach 19-21c and if your bees are flying well and they are calm I would take advantage and transfer them. Isn’t a 4 box nuc a bit unwieldy?
The temperature here in July rarely exceeds the high teens and I often have to work with my bees on days when it’s 13-14c maximum!

Vaping and feeding today. Sadly lost a nuc as although good for stores last week, went in today and a dead out. First colony I’ve had from starvation but surprised at how fast this happened. They were very heavy on last check but we seem to suddenly have a lot of wasps at home which is very unusual. Possibly robbed?
Once robbing starts it's often over in a day or two at the most ... sometimes a matter of hours.

Managed to tip over a quadruple brood nuc as I was adjusting the strap after vaping it. I hadn’t managed to transfer it to a full size hive due to lack of kit earlier in the season and I think it’s too late now to be doing it now.
I'd say leave it to overwinter in the nuc stack where it's already organised its brood and stores, rather than transferring it.
Seeley has shown many times that bees actually prefer a tall narrow space, given the option.

Well if you have the kit why not? The forecast for your location this week is for temperatures to reach 19-21c and if your bees are flying well and they are calm I would take advantage and transfer them. Isn’t a 4 box nuc a bit unwieldy?
The temperature here in July rarely exceeds the high teens and I often have to work with my bees on days when it’s 13-14c maximum!
Aye but your lasses have the Braveheart gene

I'd say leave it to overwinter in the nuc stack where it's already organised its brood and stores, rather than transferring it.
Seeley has shown many times that bees actually prefer a tall narrow space, given the option.
You are correct, it is we who would like it otherwise, jus to annoy I spin the boxes 180 degrees from time to time.

Yes and they are a locally adapted dark bee. A number of our colonies were tested a few years ago and we had a few that were over 90% pure A M M
That's an interesting stat, what was the overall average? With a relatively closed population I'd have imagined a pretty stable population unless someone's actively working with a different subspecies/strain.

I can’t disagree with you on that and yes I know that bees prefer to work vertical rather than horizontal. But I am only saying what I would do. With the climate you have in the south of England there’s still plenty of time for the bees to sort themselves out. Let us know how you get on with them E&MBees.

That's an interesting stat, what was the overall average? With a relatively closed population I'd have imagined a pretty stable population unless someone's actively working with a different subspecies/strain.
Some of us are members of The Scottish Native Honey Bee Society and they tested samples from a number of colonies here in 2019 as part of a bigger survey which was funded. A lot of samples came back as having AMM traits but were hybrids and at the other end of the scale some were 93-94%pure AMM. I don’t know of the full picture as the results were kept confidential. My mentor actively sourced AMM queens and bred his own strain of bees here from the seventies till about two thousand. He supplied a lot of beginners with bees in that time and there’s a high chance that his strain is still present here.
The last major import of bees to here was in 2002 when a beekeeper sourced 80 colonies of dark bees from the Inverness area which was varroa free at the time. Since then we have been trying to maintain our varroa free status by encouraging beekeepers not to take colonies in and to only source local bees. There’s slightly more than 150 colonies here now but I don’t know the exact number.
Some of us have nearly pure AMM and hybrids in the same apiaries which leads to the question “why haven’t the AMM become hybrids in all of this time”
My theory and it’s only a theory is that the AMM bees are managing to mate with each other in our cooler climate when the hybrids are not out in the same numbers.
My tin hat is on and I'm prepared to be shot down in flames 🔥

I hadn’t managed to transfer it to a full size hive due to lack of kit earlier in the season and I think it’s too late now to be doing it now. It split between the 2nd and 3rd boxes.

I'm hoping to move a 5 over 5 frame colony to a single BB while the bees are busy with the ivy.

Not done the following before but . . .have taken 5 frames from across 3 hives and done a newspaper unite on top of a 5 frame nuc, queen started laying end of August, ie. 2+ weeks ago.
Thinking, leave them a week to get to know each other then move to standard BB and feed (but I don't have a spare floor or a crown board or a roof yet!)
Might work. ?

#edit The added issue you have is 4 or 5 frames that won't fit in a BB. Could they be shared with other colonies.

Last edited:
Some of us are members of The Scottish Native Honey Bee Society and they tested samples from a number of colonies here in 2019 as part of a bigger survey which was funded. A lot of samples came back as having AMM traits but were hybrids and at the other end of the scale some were 93-94%pure AMM. I don’t know of the full picture as the results were kept confidential. My mentor actively sourced AMM queens and bred his own strain of bees here from the seventies till about two thousand. He supplied a lot of beginners with bees in that time and there’s a high chance that his strain is still present here.
The last major import of bees to here was in 2002 when a beekeeper sourced 80 colonies of dark bees from the Inverness area which was varroa free at the time. Since then we have been trying to maintain our varroa free status by encouraging beekeepers not to take colonies in and to only source local bees. There’s slightly more than 150 colonies here now but I don’t know the exact number.
Some of us have nearly pure AMM and hybrids in the same apiaries which leads to the question “why haven’t the AMM become hybrids in all of this time”
My theory and it’s only a theory is that the AMM bees are managing to mate with each other in our cooler climate when the hybrids are not out in the same numbers.
https://www.nature.com/articles/hdy199546

I think it’s also that amm queens mate more with amm drones?

This was where my own question was going although equally, accepting natural losses over time it seems strange that there might still be a strong hybrid population. It's a shame the the results of the survey you mentioned were kept confidential.

The link which @Antipodes has posted is interesting and certainly ties in with other research such as a much quoted Polish paper from a few years ago. I think there's pretty sound evidence of height and time differences in drone flight between the subspecies although I can't offer a link off the top of my head. Certainly, Gilles Fert was writing about this the best part of thirty years ago.

Last edited:
This was where my own question was going although equally, accepting natural losses over time it seems strange that there might still be a strong hybrid population. It's a shame the the results of the survey you mentioned were kept confidential.

The link which @Antipodes has posted is interesting and certainly ties in with other research such as a much quoted Polish paper from a few years ago. I think there's pretty sound evidence of height and time differences in drone flight time between the subspecies although I can't offer a link off the top of my head. Certainly, Gilles Fert was writing about this the best part of thirty years ago.
After discovering some more data the survey was in 2018 but we only got the results the following year. The best samples from Orkney were sent to Denmark for DNA analysis. Out of the 15 samples 7 came back as pure / nearly pure AMM and the others were hybrids. It was only a small snapshot of the overall picture here and most of the people who sent bees for testing thought they might have had AMM anyway.
All of the hives in Orkney are kept at pretty low levels so height differences won’t play a part in mating. It’s our low summer temperatures and often windy conditions that are the main factors affecting mating.

Thanks for that Antipodes. It seems to back up my theory. The same for you as well Curly.
I think it’s great how some threads can meander off topic and we can still get great answers and have a good discussion.
Sorry all but it’s my day off and I’m supposed to be feeding bees and then on to more extracting. Bye for now.

Last edited:
Just been down to the bees and to be honest in all my years of beekeeping I have never seen so many wasps around the hives. With the double ended wasp guards fitted they are not getting into the hives but certainly buzzing around. Wonder if the late spring has contributed to this surge. Also has suddenly gone warm again - a few chilly nights wouldn't go amiss. The brood boxes are rammed with stores so will whip off the feeders and get the hive down to single well stuffed brood box ready for ivy and winter.

I can’t disagree with you on that and yes I know that bees prefer to work vertical rather than horizontal. But I am only saying what I would do. With the climate you have in the south of England there’s still plenty of time for the bees to sort themselves out. Let us know how you get on with them E&MBees.
I’m going to leave them in the nuc. They have arranged it how they want it. Me interfering now won’t benefit them. I will transfer them across in the spring. I’ll think of an alternative way to position the vaping tray that avoids moving the nuc as much.

Finally found my apidea queen laying :p A little over a month after hatching from an emergency cell raised in an apidea. I was about to go and unite the colony today so a late reprieve. Now we will roll the dice on if they get through winter ok. The colony has been Q- for months and I've topped up with the odd donation of brood. They have done a good job of filling up both sides of a frame full of pollen so fingers crossed they will go for it in the next 10 days of lovely weather forecast.

Attachments

• IMG_5521.jpeg
    IMG_5521.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
Back