What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Checked on the home hives this evening. Himalayan Balsam coming in by the looks of it, and the entrances were absolutely rammed with guard bees. Perhaps not surprising to see the latter -- wasps are being repelled as well as flies. In fact one hive had a small pile of insect bodies (not bees) beneath it that one wasp was hunting through and dismembering.

James

I meant to add that to see what was going on in the entrances I crouched down to get pretty much at eye level with the entrance, perhaps five feet in front of the hives so I should be out of the flight path of incoming bees (I had no bee suit on or anything like that). It made me chuckle to see so many (guard, presumably) bees, quite a number of which were obviously upside down, looking back out of the entrance. It was quite cartoon-like :D

James

I meant to add that to see what was going on in the entrances I crouched down to get pretty much at eye level with the entrance, perhaps five feet in front of the hives so I should be out of the flight path of incoming bees (I had no bee suit on or anything like that). It made me chuckle to see so many (guard, presumably) bees, quite a number of which were obviously upside down, looking back out of the entrance. It was quite cartoon-like :D

James

....thought the bees. ;)

Bee escapes put on the crown boards and shifted them down on Saturday evening, took off the supers and decided to extract 3 of the 8. So took my with "help" from the kids about 6 hours to extract and put everything away and wipe down very sticky children and kitchen.

Inspected hives today as it was a lot cooler
Bluebell -found shivelled wings on some of the bees and saw a varroa on one of them. Took the supers off and applied apiguard, hope we are not too late to save the colony!!
Other three hives no evidence but put apiguard on those as well. Rosie still has a super left on as the colony is huge so planned to vape this week and add apiguard next inspection.
🐝🐝🐝🐝

Inspected hives today as it was a lot cooler
Bluebell -found shivelled wings on some of the bees and saw a varroa on one of them. Took the supers off and applied apiguard, hope we are not too late to save the colony!!
Other three hives no evidence but put apiguard on those as well. Rosie still has a super left on as the colony is huge so planned to vape this week and add apiguard next inspection.
🐝🐝🐝🐝
I expect Bluebell & team will be fine.
I think I would have vaped today to knock them back and applied Apiguard tomorrow.
I think I’m right in saying the “Winter“ bees won’t be emerging just yet, so just keep on top of treating and you should be ok.

I think I would have vaped today to knock them back and applied Apiguard tomorrow.
I think I’m right in saying the “Winter“ bees won’t be emerging just yet, so just keep on top of treating and you should be ok.
Why not do both at once? After all if you vape one day there are still going to be lots of oxalic crystals everywhere the next day.

Thank you, yes did cross my mind vaping first, wish I had now, hopefully will have caught it early. Will be interested on the mite load, put a greased board underneath ready for the count

Update on hive with CBPV. After several visits to remove dead bees from the floor of the hive, adding a super to give them some more room and making them queenless, there were no dead bees on the hive floor today (3 days since last visit) and no sign of shiny bees.
Still some bewildered looking bees outside the hive with other bees biting them so will continue to monitor.
Last of the EQCs knocked down and a frame of eggs/young brood introduced from an unrelated hive.
Still drones around in my hives so fingers crossed they requeen.
The rest of the hives were looking good, supers being capped and loads of pollen going in. Bees were super calm, I did three hives with no smoke at all!

Took a butchers at the hives - very little going on. A few bees coming and going, but very few compared with previous days. Hmmmm I thought, could we get some rain? Sure enough, we’ve had a good hour long shower mid morning and a real heavy shower after lunch and the sky is very grey. Bees - better than the MET Office.🌨🌦☔

While I was away Stan decided to take one of his grandchildren down to the bees. After spending yesterday afternoon working out how to attach the hood to the cheap STB suit he opened up a queenless colony and remembered only that they had no queen when they all flew up at him and a few stung his granddaughter! Oh dear! I doubt she will risk another beekeeping experience. Lessons: don’t leave your husband in charge and don’t buy cheap suits.

Added the first Apiguard treatment. Watched one cheeky wasp follow three bees in to the hive via the Waspaway tunnel. Didn't see it come back out....so hopefully has just a one way ticket !
No honey to extract, so hoping to have them in good shape as we approach the changing season.

Checked the board on bluebell 24 hrs after putting in apiguard 554 of the little blighters. Blossom 154. Haven't checked daisy yet.

Checked the board on bluebell 24 hrs after putting in apiguard 554 of the little blighters. Blossom 154. Haven't checked daisy yet.
That’s a bit worrying - except now that’s 554 dead ones!
(Must have taken a while to count that lot)
Bluebell will be grateful, I expect.

That’s a bit worrying - except now that’s 554 dead ones!
(Must have taken a while to count that lot)
Bluebell will be grateful, I expect.
I knew the count would be high, fingers crossed they'll survive, its a huge colony, no doubt the numbers will increase as the apiguard does its job. May think of an oxalic blast as well at some point

While I was away Stan decided to take one of his grandchildren down to the bees. After spending yesterday afternoon working out how to attach the hood to the cheap STB suit he opened up a queenless colony and remembered only that they had no queen when they all flew up at him and a few stung his granddaughter! Oh dear! I doubt she will risk another beekeeping experience. Lessons: don’t leave your husband in charge and don’t buy cheap suits.
Not a good start for a prospective beekeeper ... my grandchildren have beesuits and like looking at the bees ... from a distance ... I haven't opened a hive with them yet ...but they like dressing up and looking the part. The 8 year old will probably be ready to watch an inspection next season but I'll pick the colony ...

Not a good start for a prospective beekeeper ... my grandchildren have beesuits and like looking at the bees ... from a distance ... I haven't opened a hive with them yet ...but they like dressing up and looking the part. The 8 year old will probably be ready to watch an inspection next season but I'll pick the colony ...
When I was starting beekeeping, I was at my mentor's apiary and he opened one hive.. It was like colony from hell.. I had about dozen stings only in one hand through a glove ( if I recall right). Almost could not see through a veil from bees.. Good test for grown up to see do you want to proceed with beekeeping..

When I was starting beekeeping, I was at my mentor's apiary and he opened one hive.. It was like colony from hell.. I had about dozen stings only in one hand through a glove ( if I recall right). Almost could not see through a veil from bees.. Good test for grown up to see do you want to proceed with beekeeping..
She’s 11. She ran away crying🥲

Back