What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just goes to show you should never refuse to go out and rescue a colony - even when it sounds unlikely

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/9578606.Bees_saved_from_a_sticky_situation/

Well, if proof were needed that feral bees are far from extinct ... they seem to have come through this winter in good number, and with a nest site that deviates somewhat from the normal concept of 'ideal'.
I wonder how long they might have been there. Did the comb look old, or was the wax as clean as last years?

:)

That wood left to rot will be of benefit to lots of bugs, ladybirds and all manner of insects for years, on your fire, a couple of months.

Obviously we can't see the whole tree but, judging by the diameter of the base there must be many tons of wood there - it would last me for years and all with a carbon footprint of zero! I do take the point about being good for the wildlife and often leave fallen trees to rot - but that one is such a beauty not worthy

Did the comb look old, or was the wax as clean as last years?

Most of the wax was quite dark - say about five years old. There was much new wax round the edges.
Combintree.jpg

The hive was a small cavity below ground level - so clearly not one they had chosen by preference.

Distanceshot.jpg

It was cold and the bees were very reluctant to fly. I had just got them back to my apiary when it started to sleet.

I waited for a warmer day and placed a fully framed up brood and a super with some stores on top without any need for smoke. In fact they were busy
gathering pollen so I am hoping I got the queen!

I rather doubt they are genetically significant. Their colour is very mixed, with a lot of orange workers! But, if they are as calm when they are warm as they are when cold I will be glad I rescued them.

Thanks for putting the pictures up, fascinating.

wonderful chrismcd

Not much happening in the apiary. Dull 10˚ not much flying. Better day forecast for tomorrow.
Where is this Spring that everybody else seems to be having?
Bought two Kilmarnock Weeping Willows for Ma-in-Law's Mothers day.
They are dripping with pollen. Hope the bees find them :)

How were they disease-wise?

Knaresborough is free of EFB to the best of my knowledge and I have had Nosema, while varroa is always with us!

Visualy there were no signs of dysentry, varroa or viral symptoms. The comb was dark, but there did not appear to be anything untoward.

Having worked in Animal Health for quite a while I am a bit of a worrier, but these bees looked about as healthy as you could expect considering they had been exposed to the wind and rain for a number of days.

We have a lot of beeks in Knaresborough, in fact it was just down the road from our secretary's apiary!

for next week beginners class on DIY Beekeeping I went to the local timber merchant and I had a sheet of 12mm ply cut into 20 dummy boards and two sheets of 6mm ply cut to provide 20 coverboards.

...then I tried to get some 18mmx 8mm pine stripwood for the beespace...had to make do with 18x 6mm...hope the beginners have little bees

Last edited:
Feels like spring here, first time I've noticed (at work it never feels like spring)

Took off mouseguards, will pop them back on if the weather does a U turn, but loads of action and pollen being brought in.

I time had permitted I'd have even sneaked a quick look inside

The weather was reasonably nice and there were loads of bee flying so I opened my garden hive for the first time since the winter today.

They are on a single national brood box with 8 frames of brood in all stages and and 3 full sides of stores, plus the top corners of the brood frames. They are busy with orientation flights and brining in pollen (mainly bright orange).

They seem to be building up nicely. All in all I'm happy. :)

Oh for heaven's sake!!!! What am I like?!
I bought two pussy willows to give away for Mother's day.
They were out on the patio and last night it started to rain. I brought them in to the conservatory whereupon my husband asked, "What ARE you doing?"
"Keeping the pollen safe," said I.
Putting them out in the sunshine this morning, there are loads of bees on it.
Seeeeeeeee it worked :rolleyes:

The weather here is mild again today and lots of bees are flying from both hives.
We opened the hives for the first time this year and everything looks encouraging - lots of uncapped and sealed brood, pollen and honey stores. We avoided taking all the frames out to avoid disturbance but there is definitely some uncapped stores remaining and also on the top corners of the frames with brood. Should we be counting the entire area of stores at this stage? Or is it better to avoid disturbance? The colonies look strong so I don't want to risk starvation.

Oh for heaven's sake!!!! What am I like?!
I bought two pussy willows to give away for Mother's day.
They were out on the patio and last night it started to rain. I brought them in to the conservatory whereupon my husband asked, "What ARE you doing?"
"Keeping the pollen safe," said I.
Putting them out in the sunshine this morning, there are loads of bees on it.
Seeeeeeeee it worked :rolleyes:

:rofl:

Latest posts

Back