What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took off 20 supers all full of honey, most of it only 1/4 sealed. But turned out 17-18% water so great harvest and hopefully lots more to come now that they have more space.

Today I took it upon myself to release a queen that had been introduced 4 days ago.....fondant too hard etc. The bees were crawling over the cage but not clinging or showing aggression. I gently slid open the cage with the entrance facing down into the hive. My decision to mark said queen with a bright neon pink dot certainly paid off as I was able to see her emerge from the hive and take to the air. I was also able to get several glimpses of her flying about a metre or so from the hive.
I stood there for twenty minutes thinking I might serve some useful purpose, as a landmark if not as a beekeeper. Then I left the crown board ajar for a while and tended to the other hives. I also took the queen guard away from the front of the apidea she was mated from, just in case she navigated her way back. I suppose I'll know in a few days....was she likely to return to the queenless hive?

Sorted through the nucs adding extra frames. One drawback with maisemore nucs is that sickening crunch when replacing boxes or adding more.
Decided to check how the honey is doing and found them fully capped. No let up in traffic,
You’re right, it’s a horrible sound. When I hear it I always say “Oh sorry bees” - I don’t mean to, I just can’t stop myself from saying it.

Today I took it upon myself to release a queen that had been introduced 4 days ago.....fondant too hard etc. The bees were crawling over the cage but not clinging or showing aggression. I gently slid open the cage with the entrance facing down into the hive. My decision to mark said queen with a bright neon pink dot certainly paid off as I was able to see her emerge from the hive and take to the air. I was also able to get several glimpses of her flying about a metre or so from the hive.
I stood there for twenty minutes thinking I might serve some useful purpose, as a landmark if not as a beekeeper. Then I left the crown board ajar for a while and tended to the other hives. I also took the queen guard away from the front of the apidea she was mated from, just in case she navigated her way back. I suppose I'll know in a few days....was she likely to return to the queenless hive?

You did the correct thing and remained as a landmark, 10 min or so if often enough time for orientating.

Sorted out a spare BB that a swarm decided to move in to, now on a floor and filled the hive with frames and a crown board and roof fitted, good brood pattern and no sign of any nasties, I will have to move it though as it’s amongst my spare kit so I’ll do that in the winter

Watched the girls in their bright orange pants all over the phormium flowers collecting pollen. I’m really hoping this is a good sign that the VQs in both hives have mated successfully and are laying. That would be such good news after the trials I’ve had with queens this year…. :hairpull:4B2FB557-D571-4B77-A08F-C715283C9E69.jpeg

Watched the girls in their bright orange pants all over the phormium flowers collecting pollen. I’m really hoping this is a good sign that the VQs in both hives have mated successfully and are laying. That would be such good news after the trials I’ve had with queens this year…. :hairpull:View attachment 27471
Nice shot Moobee. Hope you‘re right about your queens....

Been a muppet and after inserting porter bee escapes yesterday didn't replace roof tightly, 6am today went to collect super but bees robbing and so I retreated after replacing roof firmly. However bees also appear to swarm - I've put out a nuc and there is a lot of interest bees coming and going but there was no QC present in the original hive - and there is no unusual activity (or QCs) in any of the other hives which might indicate they have swarmed. Any idea what is happening with the nuc?

Hi I also took of 20 frames full of honey mostly capped I did the Shake test were no honey came out and I also did the water test it read 21 is that to high if so what does it mean thank you x

Painful day in the apiary today.
Went to put on some clearer boards onto 3 hives this morning.
Hive 1 - removed top super and put clearer board on and replaced the super without incident.
Hive 2 - removed top super and went to put on clearer board when I was hit by a wave of bees attacking my nether regions through my jeans. I retreated to my van to don the Ozarmour, returned to the hive but by this time the bees were out in force and by the time I got the roof back on I had taken about 20 stings to my wrists and hands and had to walk about 100yards to get rid of the followers.
Hive 3 - lifted the top 2 supers off and the bees went apeshit before I had a chance to put the clearer board on I was covered by thousands of bees.... my suit was black with them and they even went down into the top of my rigger boots! I did manage to get the hive back together but took another load of possibly 30 stings to all parts of my body..... several bees managed to get past the Velcro on the suit! (My fault - didn't check it)
So ...probably the largest number of stings I've ever taken in a day and from two hives that have never shown any sign of being extra defensive before. Could it be that the flow is over?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back