What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Build yourself some thing special - a bee house .
Don't tempt me! I'm trying to remain optimistic that it's just a peculiarity of the weather this year, and that next year won't be as difficult. If I'm still moaning about the rain this time next year a bee house will be built!!

If QC’s discovered is it normally too late to demaree. Thought I would be ok, went ahead and did demaree , now 6 days afterwards the Q gone ☹️. Big error, as I gave the Q in the bottom box just two drawn black brood frames and the rest foundation, no brood either. Silly mistake, won’t repeat. Yep, should have Nuc’d the Q.

Just finished inspecting our four hives in sunshine no less!!!! Think we spotted a queen in our swarm but let her be. Unfortunately in our split where there were lots of q cells and ones that had emerged, no queen, no eggs. We will buy a queen as they have now been queenless for over 4 weeks.
Struggling to buy one online, any ideas where we can get a mated buckfast from please?
You have added a test frame, yes?

If QC’s discovered is it normally too late to demaree. Thought I would be ok, went ahead and did demaree , now 6 days afterwards the Q gone ☹️. Big error, as I gave the Q in the bottom box just two drawn black brood frames and the rest foundation, no brood either. Silly mistake, won’t repeat. Yep, should have Nuc’d the Q.
Yes you won’t do that again. I hope lots of people who think Demaree is a reactive method of swarm management take note

Did my first sugar roll check for varroa at today’s inspection. Trying to get a cup of bees is an interesting experience and only managed about a third to a half. After a few minutes rolling and some furious buzzing, it revealed one mite.
I also nearly had a complete disaster... after I had finished, closed up and strapped the hive (as high winds due here tomorrow), I noticed lots of bees on my bee box and when I lifted it, the queen was on the ground underneath! :oops:
I can only think she was on the underside of the half brood box which as I put to one side to check the main brood box, she must have fallen off as I put it on a QX with a crown board on top.
So I scooped her up in my queen catcher, took the hive apart again and popped her back into the middle of the brood box - making sure she had disappeared before reassembling everything. Just hope she’s undamaged....FA2E89B5-369A-4418-B80B-D9AF1DD7784D.jpeg

Unfortunately in our split where there were lots of q cells and ones that had emerged, no queen, no eggs. We will buy a queen as they have now been queenless for over 4 weeks.
If you say there were QC's in there, it's still a while to go before the new queen gets mated and starts laying

If you say there were QC's in there, it's still a while to go before the new queen gets mated and starts laying
We had two swarms from this hive, took our time inspecting and no sign of a queen, granted she could have gone on a mating flight. We will inspect again before introducing a new queen which we have managed to buy.

1 New queen from our swarm ( bluebell)
2 queen from a split ( rosie)
3chalkbroid queen (daisy) laying like a trooper brood and a half absolutely packed with bees. Lovely nature on all four hives

Attachments

• 20210519_113338.jpg
    20210519_113338.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210519_120326.jpg
    20210519_120326.jpg
    381.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210519_122544.jpg
    20210519_122544.jpg
    476.5 KB · Views: 21
Just finished inspecting our four hives in sunshine no less!!!! Think we spotted a queen in our swarm but let her be. Unfortunately in our split where there were lots of q cells and ones that had emerged, no queen, no eggs. We will buy a queen as they have now been queenless for over 4 weeks.
Struggling to buy one online, any ideas where we can get a mated buckfast from please?
Don't go rushing to buy a queen, four weeks is nothing.

Managed to do a few things today in between the showers.
6 day old demaree, removed 5-6 Q cells from the top box, leaving one open full of RJ (Would have done it tomorrow, day 7, but the weather isn’t looking good for tomorrow).
demareed another strong colony, were on 8-9 frames of brood.
bees flying in between showers.

We had two swarms from this hive, took our time inspecting and no sign of a queen, granted she could have gone on a mating flight. We will inspect again before introducing a new queen which we have managed to buy.
Leve them alone, there's a time for fiddling, and a time to leave well alone - last thing you want is to be clattering around in the hive when the queen comes back all hot and flustered after meeting the boys, get's confused and flies off never to be seen again

Inspected a client's 14x12 colonies today to find that they are running on vapour. Fed some fondant but we really need a spell of warm weather!
Arrived at one of my apiaries to find 2 swarms, collected from the brambles and popped them into two nucs. Took them to my main apiary and popped a frame of eggs in each to make sure they stay put!
Inspected a third apiary to find one hive with many sealed cells. (I've not been able to inspect some hives during the inclement weather) As I removed the cell 5 virgins emerged so I put one back and put the others in queen cages with attendants and fondant.
What is the best way to keep these as the hive is well behaved and I would like to use these over the next few days.

Did my first sugar roll check for varroa at today’s inspection. Trying to get a cup of bees is an interesting experience and only managed about a third to a half. After a few minutes rolling and some furious buzzing, it revealed one mite.

I shake two brood frames of bees (insuring Q in not on them) into a 30lb bucket with lid, then place the cup (in my case the Abelo one) on the top bars and tip bees into it. Allow some to bleed off and then screw spikey end cap on.

If unsure of QR one needs to put a test frame in to save losing £££'s spent on a new queen, a test frame is one with plenty of eggs and very young larvae.
If a VQ or new mated Q is present your new bought Q will be balled and killed.

Latest posts

Back