What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B82
Are the end caps on the frames, instead of frame runners on the hive its self?

If so where did you get them?

"(already starting to get a bit of condensation on polycarbonate)."

shouldn't be getting condensation if you have adequate insulation directly above the crown board.

Over nineteen degrees on the thermometer, they're bringing in pollen, I'm watching a hundred or so young bees or orientation flight in the sunshine. :cool:

Funny thing is, the calendar says November.

And the varroa will be having a field day - lots of new food so I am about to put trays under for 2 days to assess all.
And it will also show me how much capping breakdown going on as they eat...

Going to be a hungry winter for many bees if we aren't on our toes....

Watching the pollen coming in and a lot of work going on; somewhat concerned by what appears to be chewed cappings under one side of the brood box, but no signs whatever of robbing so will just have to trust they know exactly what they're up to, even if I don't!

Over nineteen degrees on the thermometer, they're bringing in pollen, I'm watching a hundred or so young bees or orientation flight in the sunshine. :cool:

Funny thing is, the calendar says November.

yep, just the same, but getting worried how much stores the are eating with all that brood rearing , some are getting lighter at a scarry rate of knots,

The varroa drop is also climbing on a few that i have monitored presumably as the brood rearing ramps up, not too good for succesful over wintering, we need a cold snap to calm them down

Battenned down for winter - one hive has a super almost full of stores, so just shut down with kingspan on top, the other (brood box only) seems fine with plenty of capped stores at the moment, the nuc is chomping into a container of fondant, now all fully insulated and strapped down although it's well sheltered to the North, East and West where they are (South not too bad either!)
In between showers the bees are madly foraging - pollen and nectar going in - I've never seen the nuc so busy!

yep, just the same, but getting worried how much stores the are eating with all that brood rearing , some are getting lighter at a scarry rate of knots,

Yup, two of mine were down by 4 kg plus in 10 days a couple of weeks back. Fed one more load of syrup and now insulating roofs, blocks out, guards on...bit by bit. Luckily there's a flow on still so they are gaining weight. Ivy pollen going in. One trainee hive from hell....from the look of the bees they've superceded Amm x. This was a late July caste...Come the Spring her days are numbered.

And the hazel catkins here in Wales are an inch long on the 1st November. WT...?

Decided to treat supers with acetic acid !
Hinge snapped on shed door :(!
Used good hinge at centre of door and fitted two new ones . Bottom one required a little sugery to the door frame (spliced a piece in to eradicate decayed area . ) It's a long time since I used a dutchman , not forgotted the knack .(Crude joke thread discontinued ).
Ah! well, there's always tomorrow :) .
Us retired old fogies can pick our days and like the bees choose the task to suit the weather :smilielol5:.
.VM
Fitted mouse guard to one hive only ! Remainder have Dartington floors :)
As an aside, Pic of yours truly lifting best exhibit in show cup !!
I wonder if it's still around ?
BestinshowBlackburn001-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
And the varroa will be having a field day - lots of new food so I am about to put trays under for 2 days to assess all.
And it will also show me how much capping breakdown going on as they eat...

Going to be a hungry winter for many bees if we aren't on our toes....

I have just done the exact same thing. 2 of my hives have raised and actionable varroa levels from a perfectly acceptable drop post apiguard 5 weeks ago. Capping drop is minimal and wax building is apparent in 2 others.
Cazza

I eventually got round to putting mouse guards on. Should have had them on by the end of September hopefully no harm done.

Mine bright yellow and bright orange
Loads of both
Ivy and gawd knows what....
Seem so laden they are often crash landing in front of the hive entrance
Pembrokeshire

is it best just to leave them alone?

a nuc i thought would not survive, an insurane queen on two frames+4 foundation left in a field of flowered OSR in july that then had a big straw bale fire

seemed utterly hopeless, smoke blackened comb almost no forages due to smoke, poor laying queen, little varroa but i put half a gallon nuc feeder on and one tub of apiguard in september

pollen going in, heavy, bees everywhere, but much darker ferral bees...it might even survive winter

Watching my bees fly in through the rain with huge amounts of yellow pollen still. Temp about 15 degrees. Hives look busier than in August. It's 4th November, ferchrissake!

Checking Hives secure after winds and rain - - Very busy at 11 degrees - Large number in air at front of both hives... great sound ... Pollen flow - pollen carriers resting on hive stand and bees sunning themselves on or about the Hive - Did not anticipate this in November:)

Just checked my hives - one heavy, one very light. Feeding quickly before it gets colder. Fingers crossed for the light hive!

Latest posts

Back