What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow...I really feel for you. Battling the winds here just getting out of the gate was a struggle. All my hives stayed upright...even the Beehaus. All were strapped but not anchored to the ground...so I think the wind direction must have something to do with it. Even the old Beehaus in the top garden was ok. My OH has put palings around the garden and Bee Yard...it breaks to force of the wind...fencing panels wouldn't stand a chance.
I expect during the next few weeks any damage will become clear within the colonies...Good Luck BB.
We checked the bees yesterday...as it was a calm sunny day..at last. All had some fondant and all were active...out flying....we could see bees moving under the clear cover boards. Looking forward to the first spring inspection...to see which ones survive. This part of spring seems to dawdle.

Nice not too warm sunny day. Bees calm and active whole day. When open the " crown board" smell of spring seduces.. Hazels, primroses, snowdrops, even white violets and cornel seems start to open, willow in a days will open flowers - if weather behave there will be massive " inflow" of pollen and nectar.. Colonies will burst and grow as yeast.. Will wait and see.. Still all colonies seems nice and all goes as should be.. for now.

Association apiary day with all hands on deck to clear an area 16x12 and erected shuttering ready for a concrete base for our new shed. Not the best weather but it had to be done today as ready mix is being delivered end of this week ready for the shed next week

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Good luck with the concrete, there's a fair amount of rain forecast for this week.

Heavens.....
It was a bit windy here but nothing out of the ordinary for a winter storm.

It was all about the direction, near me the prevailing winds are obvious on the hedgerows. These have been shredded as the normally protected sides got a beating. Something else I've never noticed before was that my fields are yellow with fallen gorse flowers. Gorse is no softy, it takes something a bit unusual to strip them.
Gusting 55mph from the West today and it felt like a gentle breeze by comparison.

Good luck with the concrete, there's a fair amount of rain forecast for this week.

It nearly always rains in Wales lol if we wait for sunshine nothing will get done

It was all about the direction, near me the prevailing winds are obvious on the hedgerows. These have been shredded as the normally protected sides got a beating. Something else I've never noticed before was that my fields are yellow with fallen gorse flowers. Gorse is no softy, it takes something a bit unusual to strip them.
Gusting 55mph from the West today and it felt like a gentle breeze by comparison.

Heavens. A perfect storm!

It nearly always rains in Wales lol if we wait for sunshine nothing will get done

I laid a 20ft x 20ft pad several years ago when it was floated off it started lashing down, plastic sheeting and the odd bit of frame work solved the problem.

A touch chilly again this morning ...

nn5lrb.jpg

While I'm posting - here's a shot of the vinegar-sugar I mentioned recently. To put this picture in context - this is the only colony which had scoffed all of it's fondant (that fondant being in TINY jars used soley as indicators). So - I put another fondant 'fuel-gauge' on top, along with a jar of damp-set sugar, heavily laced with malt vinegar - both being full to within a 1/4" of their tops.

Took that pic yesterday - as you can see from the small developing bubble as it slumps, that fondant IS being taken - but the sugar is being scoffed in preference, although it's much harder work to excavate it. That suggests to me that 'taste' plays a significant role in food selection, when there's a choice to be had.

11c3w29.jpg

LJ

Having practised medicine for the last 40 years, I do my best to avoid prophylaxis, as it will encourage resistance.

Resistance, of course, which can be beneficial - depending on who gains it. Childhood immunisation, tetanus jabs etc - I'd probably have died on several occasions if it were not for having received such pre-emptive treatments.
LJ

Met the owner of a piece of land about 300yds from home, he has said I can keep bees there, happy days. All I need to do now is to clear the area of brambles and bracken.

Resistance, of course, which can be beneficial - depending on who gains it. Childhood immunisation, tetanus jabs etc - I'd probably have died on several occasions if it were not for having received such pre-emptive treatments.
LJ

Immunisation is a totally different situation and not strictly prophylaxis
I was talking about prophylactic use of things with bactericidal or fungicidal properties ( antibiotics for example) .

I am away for a week, so topped up fondant on some of the hives. Bees were very busy.

Got a first look inside some of my colonies.
Got quite a surprise actually. Hives are all 10 frames of bees or more. Nucs are almost entirely 6 frames with 3 of brood.
Seems very early for nucs to need hives in N.Wales
Zero losses = one very happy Beekeeper

I was talking about prophylactic use of things with bactericidal or fungicidal properties ( antibiotics for example)
I know you were.

Immunisation is a totally different situation and not strictly prophylaxis
prophylaxis: treatment given or action taken to prevent disease.

That's exactly what it is - from the Greek pro-philasso "an advance guard".
LJ

8C at 2pm and sunny.
Rescued tow bees which had decided to investigate greenhouse - I was sewing seeds so they were lucky

Latest posts

Back