What can you see from just watching the front of the hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enigmatica

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
two
I find I lose hours during the day just staring at the front of my hives. I've WBC hives so they've got a landing board and it seems to me that I could gather a lot of information about what's going on in there without blundering in too often. So, if there's a lot of pollen going in are they feeding young? If there's a lot of play flights are they hatching OK? If there's almost no pollen is there a problem? I'd love to know what the experienced beeks look for when just idling by the hives....

Have you seen the book: At the Hive Entrance - H. Storch
A google search will guide you to the pdf file.

I look at the weather and the time of day/year before even thinking of drawing conclusions by looking at a hive.

It's probably just coincidence but they've saved me from a soaking a few times, when the traffic is all back into the hive a rain storm has been only minutes away.

Bees doing out of the order things that fascinate me, I can never understand for what purpose they do them.

i sit with my binocular's few yard's away .best way to watch .what's going on.
and don't disturb them....i can get right on the landing board .........

Hi all,
I cannot remember who wrote it maybe it was Storch, but one cannot judge colony size by the activity at the hive entrance.

Really? No colony is super strong at the start of spring expansion, but one can often tell the strength of the ones that are not flying - often weak or dead.

Anyone that relies on one observation/parameter only, for keeping bees is likely to get it very wrong - probably sooner than later.

Thread starter was about what is going on, not the strength of the colony. Two different things entirely.

i watch as it's fascinating ,the way they go about .not because im trying to second guess what's going on in the hive.

me too, (have downloaded book to kindle) and me too ......spend too much time hive gazing lol, I go up at least a couple of times every day to see what they are doing.

Latest posts

Back