what can be done

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biglongdarren

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20+
After last sundays session with finding queen cells and realising that i hadnt as much spare hives and all as i might need in the coming days and weeks i took it apond myself to make up a few,the three hives that i already have were all bought so making a hive from scratch was all new to me.
all i needed to buy was some plywood and a few lenghts of timber and the rest i got from my nextdoor neighbours skip as they are doing up the house...none of it might look the prettiest but baring in mind that i used a hand saw for cutting all the wood i dont think i done too bad,and with all the frames fitting well and spacing ok thats all that i am worrying about.....what i am trying to get at is beekeeping doesnt have to be all that expensive and you can save alot of money if you really put your head too it folks...
Darren

Nice work !
A hole cutter would be a great help when making feed holes , better finish and soo much easier than trying to file a circle :sifone:

John Wilkinson

Regardless of whether the end result is as good as those from a shop,, the thing is ........you did it....... as opposed to the "I dont know how to do that" brigade....

Learning...........:cheers2:

learn by your mistakes, improve on your next batch, save your money for the bits you can not make, good job.

John

Dont want to ruin your day Darren.. and I am probably wrong anyway......
but is the entrance on the wrong side????

Right.

I'll leave that then as its not a good time....

Right.

I'll leave that then as its not a good time....

am okay with it like,am more annoyed that i cant be out in the garden making up more spare bits because of all the police about...if ye live by the sword you die by the sword!

It just looks to me that the entrance is on side of the big hive and not the end..

its a square box sure,and the door is at the front between the two sides and at the opposite end to the back..i think it'll be grand.

I don't think it matters too much, but the entrance is parallel to where the frames are going to go rather than perpendicular. Nice hives though! I should really give building some hives a go sometime

well the hive that i copied is the same shape and i brought my best hive of bees through one of the worst winter in ages in it so the design mustnt be too bad:)

I don't think it matters too much, but the entrance is parallel to where the frames are going to go rather than perpendicular. Nice hives though! I should really give building some hives a go sometime

you really should try it,i hadnt even a work bench to work off let alone a power saw,it was a real pleasure and joy to do,and as long as you have a hive to copy from you cant really go to far wrong,you should give it a go and show us what your made off:seeya:

its a square box sure,and the door is at the front between the two sides and at the opposite end to the back..i think it'll be grand.

Ok its just that I thought that entrance is normally at end of the frames, although I use Warre hives so was not really sure......

There is a cold and warm way to have frames in a hive,am not sure if it matters what way they are placed at this time of the year with the warm weather,if anybody with a bit more know how could say I'd be grateful.
Darren.

There is a cold and warm way to have frames in a hive,am not sure if it matters what way they are placed at this time of the year with the warm weather,if anybody with a bit more know how could say I'd be grateful.
Darren.

If the entrance is as wide as the hive..cold air coming into hive at end of frames will travel up between all the frames................ cold air coming into hive and hitting the side of a frame will hit the first (end) frame inside the opening and the frame will act as a baffle...

Bees coming into hive at end of frames wander along and pick where they want to travel upwards.... if they come into the hive along the side of a hive they will have to crawl all the way across the hive to get to the frames the other side.....

Nice work !
A hole cutter would be a great help when making feed holes , better finish and soo much easier than trying to file a circle :sifone:

John Wilkinson

Do the bees mind?, i just use a a 32mm drill bit, if ineed a larger hole , i drill four 32mm holes in a square and cut the hole square with rounded corner using a jig saw

If the entrance is as wide as the hive..cold air coming into hive at end of frames will travel up between all the frames................ cold air coming into hive and hitting the side of a frame will hit the first (end) frame inside the opening and the frame will act as a baffle...

Surely none of this matters if you have an open floor?

Surely none of this matters if you have an open floor?

I have a feeling that it might but dont have the experience to say for definate..

anyway.... I like the nuc.... that colour matches my bathroom..

Latest posts

Back