What are they foraging on

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
No oil seed rape, dandelions well over, loads of buttercups (useless), not any trees close by, not in a village with gardens but loads of pollen and nectar coming in so what are they on in Somerset?

Lots of hawthorn flowering this end of Somerset at the moment. Oddly late this year I feel. Also the later apple varieties (particularly cider apples) and wild garlic. There's chestnut in flower too, though I assume that will only be a source of pollen if anything at all.

James

Hawthorn is a possibility though most years it does not yield. Not field beans or holly
Yes that's the trouble. It's nearly over here, can smell it in the hedgerows but the conditions haven't been right this year at all. We have lots of holly here and the trees hum every morning at the moment
There sycamore is still the main draw

If you are near the levels the river banks are full of colour, if you are near the roads they are full of colour too! Hedgerows are the same!

Near Mark village on the moor so plenty of water with a high table. Not complaining but was interested. I have had the bees there for about 9 years but never been this good in the spring.

Near Mark village on the moor so plenty of water with a high table. Not complaining but was interested. I have had the bees there for about 9 years but never been this good in the spring.
I would imagine the pillow wall is full of yellow bargemans cabbage. ( Love that name) and Hawthorne in the hedges. Also the tall type of dandelion ( don't know the name) is in full flower in the damp areas 😁

Latest posts

Back