What are these droppings - from wax moth larva?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianorsven

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just checked inspection trays after OA vaping on Monday. Found these black "droppings" on one. Regarding scale, you can see a varroa mite in the bottom left corner. Any ideas please?

Attachments

• MhMB3y-3njtHQmUKeWZynAzXlWMI4JiE19xkIzBHDvconYjMvMapMASlrusKdfFbj_-7wL2UD01jcFibF5C36TKQrsx4RNQV.jpg
    MhMB3y-3njtHQmUKeWZynAzXlWMI4JiE19xkIzBHDvconYjMvMapMASlrusKdfFbj_-7wL2UD01jcFibF5C36TKQrsx4RNQV.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 88
Earwig droppings and those of the greater wax moth larvae are very similiar. I think they are from GWM and, if so, I also suggest there might still be some sealed brood in the comb above that point.

Why would GWM droppings (if that is what they are) imply the presence of sealed brood?

In winter actively feeding GWM larvae tend to be found in the warmer areas of the cluster particularly the brood areas. I know this from my own personal observational experience of finding droppings on OMF trays and then checking out the frames above the droppings. I have been photographing every aspect of GWM and LWM over several years and have produced a detailed presentation on Waxmoths.

I know this from my own personal observational experience of finding droppings on OMF trays and then checking out the frames above the droppings. .

Interesting, but taking out frames to check this in winter is brave.
Be interesting to view your presentation.

Thanks for replies. Have had lesser wax moths in stored frames in the past but never GWM. Not saying it' not that...just saying.
Forktails = earwigs?? New one on me!
Wouldn't be surprised if a bit of brood in there - but the day was calm and followed the hard frosts so good time to vape. Drops of around 50 mites in 3 of my 4 hives and a couple of dozen in the fourth.

Will NOT be opening to investigate further!

I would say that there are one or two wax moth larva in there. Not more. It is not long time to spring, and you can look the hive then. Bees will manage with that bug.

Latest posts

Back