What are these bees doing?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_so

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Just wondering what these 2 bees are doing, I presume one is attacking the other as I had just thwarted some small scale robbing, but at the end of the video the victim bee just wanders into the hive and the other one simply walks away..

https://youtu.be/bfebuRYd3yg

Attacked had shrivelled left wing?

Did you spot the wasp? might have been victim of an attack being checked over

I have seen my bees do this quite often. Sometimes it goes on for a couple of minutes then they separate and saunter back into the hive. I've always considered it grooming. Only one hive does it.

I thought that at first too madasafish, but i think it was just the light, i have other video of them and will take a closer look later when i get home..

I did spot the wasp, there are about half a dozen flying around near the ground next to the hive and only very occasionally going anywhere near the entrance, I believe there is a nest somewhere else on the property and so am keeping a close eye on them.

My wife suggested grooming too but I have to say that if it was grooming it seemed quite rough, I have seen it at other times with this and other hives so I guess I'll have to spend a few more hours sitting and watching and see if I can work it out ;)

I have been told that this behaviour may be a case of mistaken identity as they are not foolproof in identifying friend or foe.

Yes, I also think might be a bee from another hive.

I think the curled-in abdomen is a sign of submission or non-aggression (or just a clever way to get into the hive, as in this case).

Is it your video, Mr So? If not - there is probably some robbing going on because the beekeeper has reduced the entrance quite a lot.

Ever thought of a bee begging its way in from another coleny that was my take on it but i'm clueless.

I must say I don't think of it a lot, but as there did not appear to be any trophallaxis involved or pollen contribution either I discarded that option. Furthermore, non of the other bees seemed too bothered. If they forage on different plants then they will smell differently coming back to the hive as well. Overzealous guard bee is my take on it, but I am willing to be persuaded otherwise by the correct person.

Hi Mr. So, Least defensive hive I have seen for this time of the year. Hope all is well. Mine have bees on the flight boards greeting all arrivals and buzzing and killing wasps.

Ever thought of a bee begging its way in from another coleny that was my take on it but i'm clueless.

I would have been thinking along the same lines

I must say I don't think of it a lot,.

Well, thinking is not everybody's forte

Last edited:
see it all the time for the last 5 years (i.e. since we had beees to to look at )
dont know what it is but it ends well so I dont worry about it but am still curious

I must say I don't think of it a lot, but as there did not appear to be any trophallaxis involved or pollen contribution either I discarded that option. Furthermore, non of the other bees seemed too bothered. If they forage on different plants then they will smell differently coming back to the hive as well. Overzealous guard bee is my take on it, but I am willing to be persuaded otherwise by the correct person.

A person like me and many others.

Yes, I also think might be a bee from another hive.

I think the curled-in abdomen is a sign of submission or non-aggression (or just a clever way to get into the hive, as in this case).

Is it your video, Mr So? If not - there is probably some robbing going on because the beekeeper has reduced the entrance quite a lot.

It is my video and my hive yes, it is an old DIY WBC (not my work, one I bought), late the previous night I had seen lots of bees crowding around the cone escapes in the roof and managing to get into the top space. Of course inside the top space was a gallon contact feeder on the crown board, the other hole in the crown board was open also (novice mistake..). So the following day, with many bees still getting into the cone escapes, I went back and put mesh over the other CB hole and also for double security behind both cone escapes then used sponge to reduce the entrance right down (there is no other easy method of doing it with this hive due to its DIY origins..). I also spread vicks liberally around the cone escapes to mask any smells.

The video was taken about 15-20 mins after I did all that so might well be a bee begging entry, though I'm not sure why they might do that rather than just return home to their own hive? It is a nice cosy hive with a strong colony though so maybe she was just plating the numbers game ;)

All this seems to have stifled the robbing, certainly today the hive appears to be back to normal traffic etc. I am keeping as close an eye on it as possible though still...

Hi Mr. So, Least defensive hive I have seen for this time of the year. Hope all is well. Mine have bees on the flight boards greeting all arrivals and buzzing and killing wasps.

I'm not sure if I have really seen any guard bees, not that I would necessarily recognise them TBH, but certainly there don't seem to be any obvious guards. Not just on this hive either, I don't really see it on any of my hives. Probably I just don't really know what to look for.. Need to sit and watch more :)

I'm not sure if I have really seen any guard bees, not that I would necessarily recognise them TBH, but certainly there don't seem to be any obvious guards. Not just on this hive either, I don't really see it on any of my hives. Probably I just don't really know what to look for.. Need to sit and watch more :)

Look for bee doing what appears to do a high five with both front legs to incoming bees or intruders. That's the a guard bee

Tempted to suggest they are the ones that wear chain mail and carry spears :)
:sorry:

Latest posts

Back