What are the wasps doing?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Yesterday checked hives all flying, but then noticed queen wasp flying wondered if they would start to nest with this mild winter then perish when it came to cold for them, Oh yes put my foot on that one,

what are the wasps doing

living in my bloody wood shed

last week I went to one of my apiaries to take a deep 8" roof off a hive to repair as a nail had rusted and the galv was springing loose

so took it off, put it in the car, replaced it with a 4" roof

drove about 10 miles home and as it was cold outside i turned the heater up ,

nearing home , then to hear a loud buzzing, i was about to investigated as i thought i had some trapped worker bees, wondering how they got out through the fondant tub, had i knocked it off the feed hole?

woooosh , a large very angry queen wasp. flying around in the car ....quickly pulled into a laybye ....it did not fly for long :biggrinjestert:

I opened a TBH, to dribble Ox-Acid, on Wed to find several queen wasps overwintering between the roof and the hive's wall. The Bees were vey active but they weren't.

iv found four in my work shed behind some old coats lining my shed so cleared a corner and there they was all curled up hanging on to the wall splat, splat, splat, splat

Two more queen wasps in the last week flying around the house....one escaped. Grr...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Wasp cannot do anything because they have not food outside.

Wasp has nosema too. I do not know how it works in wasp.

I have kicked two queens (that is queen wasps, not the other sort of queens) out the house today, what is going on with them? Is it because its warm outside and they have just found their way in or is it because we have had the heating on over Xmas and its caused them to wake up from their slumber?
I suppose if they are waking early and there is nothing to eat they will just die?

Back