Western Cedar treatments

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnBee1480

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
None yet
Has anyone used Equimins Linseed Oil on western cedar hives?

Hi - welcome to the forum.

Do have a go using the forum search.
If you look up -
linseed oil
you'll find quite a few relevant threads.

This forum is vehemently anti-commercial, but I hope I can ask if you think there is anything special about that brand? Normally the distinction is made between ordinary and 'boiled' linseed oil.

Hello itma

I wasn't aware that my thread was promoting the product. I had just spotted that particular brand from a variety of similar products and I was wondering whether any one had used it and what they thought of it.

If anyone wants to be helpful and advise me off thread then I would welcome the input.

Linseed oil comes in two types raw or boiled, you don't have to treat cedar but if you feel you must raw is the best and the brand does not really matter, If it's good enough for horses its good enough for bees

Linseed oil comes in two types raw or boiled, you don't have to treat cedar but if you feel you must raw is the best and the brand does not really matter, If it's good enough for horses its good enough for bees

Thank you for the thoughtful response. My reason is more aesthetic. My wife is a wood carver and I share her love of the rich tones of waxed or oiled wood. She thinks the weather :sunning: round here would eventually turn the finish a dirty silver.

Thank you for the thoughtful response. My reason is more aesthetic. My wife is a wood carver and I share her love of the rich tones of waxed or oiled wood. She thinks the weather :sunning: round here would eventually turn the finish a dirty silver.

It will. My house is made of cedar. However, the pressure washer will bring cedar up like new

...wouldn't your bees be used to, er, quite a bit of water?
:D

yes, I decided in keeping with my profession to raise a variety of marinised bee :D - Haven't had any floods since Christmas though so I suppose being a councillor does have some advantages (the rest of the street are happy too!)

JohnBee, bearing in mind your comment about liking waxed and oiled woods, have you noticed from the other Linseed Oil threads that many folk do actually mix beeswax with their linseed oil ?
You won't have any wax of your own yet, obviously, but if you ask around at your next association meeting you may be able to obtain some on "easy terms".

If you're keen to avoid using anything untoward, be careful of "boiled" linseed oil, as it often contains all sorts of volatile solvents to aid swift drying - one UK brand used to be solvent free (I 'phoned the suppliers to check). The advice I was given suggests that you can use raw or boiled, the boiled dries quicker. I add some beeswax to hot boiled linseed, and apply it hot - it's excellent for hives (and sheds).......

I was under the impression that good cedar doesn't need treatment at all - it has natural oils in it

I was under the impression that good cedar doesn't need treatment at all - it has natural oils in it
Yes, it develops a "patina" rather than rotting.
But JohnBee & wife don't fancy the natural patina ...

What about T's English White cedar seconds? Never had cedar before, all other kit either home made or red/White wood deal. treat or not? Don't look totally heartwood, but I'm not an expert. Any suggestions guys?

What about T's English White cedar seconds? Never had cedar before, all other kit either home made or red/White wood deal. treat or not? Don't look totally heartwood, but I'm not an expert. Any suggestions guys?

Dear blackcavebess,

Who or what is 'T'? And what and where are these English White cedar seconds?

JohnBee1480

Yes, it develops a "patina" rather than rotting.
But JohnBee & wife don't fancy the natural patina ...

:iagree: It can look a bit shabby if left untreated.
The advantage is, it blends in perfectly with its surroundings :)

If you're keen to avoid using anything untoward, be careful of "boiled" linseed oil, as it often contains all sorts of volatile solvents to aid swift drying - one UK brand used to be solvent free (I 'phoned the suppliers to check). The advice I was given suggests that you can use raw or boiled, the boiled dries quicker. I add some beeswax to hot boiled linseed, and apply it hot - it's excellent for hives (and sheds).......

Thanks Brosville. I have a steep learning curve ahead of me so any thoughtful and useful input is most welcome.

Latest posts

Back