went to feed some fondant and saw one hive with 8 frames of bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CliffDale

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Should I bang on a super with some light sugar feed?

It looked pretty full. Other hives are about 5 frames.

Cliff

Just give them some more fondant. If they are strong then great.

PH

Please don't.

Far far too early, and when you saw then they were expanded on a bonny day... liable to contract again with the temp dropping.

It is still winter not June.

PH

I'm in similar position - really strong colony - have been feeding fondant and they are taking it readily (1/2Kg in around 3 days) Hive weight good - only on brood box - and have no drawn frames so itching to add another brood box or super to start them off early.
Considering brood box to increase to two colonies. I knowthis is too early but what are the forums opininions about us Newbees with no drawn frames and wanting to go for it? It is a gambol but I just want to give my girls a bit more room to expand as they seem to be really eager - welcome any advice from you more experienced Beeks.
cheers
Pete.

Should I bang on a super with some light sugar feed?

It looked pretty full. Other hives are about 5 frames.

Cliff

8 frames of bees? how many frames of actual brood? whole frames, i.e. 2 (mostly full) sides of brood.

Pete Nicholson,

You are saying you want to increase later, but I'm not sure of your motives at the present time. Increase later is easy, whether or not they are 'accelerated' early in the year.

The criteria here is of how much brood there is in the brood box and how much space is available for brooding.

If the box is stuffed with stores, there is a simple way to increase the amount of brood - change out a frame of stores for a frame of foundation. Only when the box is getting full of brood do you need another box.

I shall quietly be adding frames in front of (and then, later, behind) the brood nest in the Dartington in my garden to extend the available laying area. The advantages I have, is having drawn comb available and no real need to disturb the developing broodnest. I dumped the puny deep National boxes in favour of 14 x 12s long ago. They now don't usually need fondant to be fed in the winter (which may lead to a congested brood box in spring).

My view of you 'Newbees with no drawn frames and wanting to go for it? It is a gambol' group is that you should learn to walk before you try to run and, no, it is not a playful stroll (gambol), it does need a bit of experience and ability to recognise the potential problems as, or before, they arise and be able to take appropriate steps to counter those risks. If you wish to gamble with your only colony in your first year, go ahead, but don't be surprised when you get in a bit of bother.

We already have the OP thinking there is a nectar flow in February? So plenty of scope to get in a bit of a muddle without even trying. Yes, Devon is a way off Lincolnshire, so maybe there is a nectar flow, but I doubt it.

A box under the brood would be more appropriate as the bees can build down into it, without compromising heat retention, and it could be moved on top later, when more appropriate.

You may be using terms without a good understanding (or you might not) but supers are generally for honey storage, but the same size box could be used for brooding, when I would not refer to it as a super. Supering often involves a queen excluder. Some (me included) fit supers but allow the queen to lay upstairs if she needs (no excluder). So you need to be careful how you use the terms, if you are meaning something different than the 'norm'.

RAB

Considering brood box to increase to two colonies. I knowthis is too early but what are the forums opininions about us Newbees with no drawn frames and wanting to go for it? It is a gambol but I just want to give my girls a bit more room to expand as they seem to be really eager - welcome any advice from you more experienced Beeks.

Devon may be a few weeks ahead of Berkshire, but I wouldn't think of adding any boxes until mid April unless it is ridiculously mild. We're still at 5C over night (tight cluster), and there is a reasonable chance of sub zero overnight - a big cavernous brood space would really set them back.

If the hive is heavy (i.e still full of stores), you may want to back off the fondant - you need them to eat stores so that they make space for eggs.

Thanks for the advice Rae - not sure of brood/stores ratio and am reluctant to open up yet as it is still cold down here. I will curb my impatience for the time being ;o)
cheers
P.

Pete Nicholson,

My view of you 'Newbees with no drawn frames and wanting to go for it? It is a gambol' group is that you should learn to walk before you try to run and, no, it is not a playful stroll (gambol), it does need a bit of experience and ability to recognise the potential problems as, or before, they arise and be able to take appropriate steps to counter those risks. If you wish to gamble with your only colony in your first year, go ahead, but don't be surprised when you get in a bit of bother.

RAB

Thanks for the reply Oliver (bit like a beesting - barbed :eek: ) but I appreciate any advice and I know that a super is for honey. I was thinking brood and a half or full additional brood box. I obviously need to assess brood and stores but will wait until it warms up.
Cheers
P.

am reluctant to open up yet as it is still cold

Yep - hefting and adding fondant is fine, opening up is not. Traditional recommendation is when it is comfortable for you in shirtsleeves, it will be OK for the bees to be opened up.

keep them snug and tight for moment. if they are brooding well keeping warm will help them. don't give them dead space.

8 frames of bees? how many frames of actual brood? whole frames, i.e. 2 (mostly full) sides of brood.

Not sure about brood. It was a very quick lid off and placed fondant on top of the frames, lid back on again. Didn't stop to look at anything else.

Cliff

Not sure about brood. It was a very quick lid off and placed fondant on top of the frames, lid back on again. Didn't stop to look at anything else.

Cliff

Just two comments
1. The super is not just for honey, you will hopfully see this later in the season:)
2. Sticking a super on will simply give the bees more dead space to keep warm

buzz

Dear me...
We are still deep in winter and you guys are seriously talking about supering. Unless you are moving bees to the OSR then your supers most probably won't be needed until May.

Cliffdale,

8 frames of bees... So what? You had a large colony going into winter... In March you should be making sure that they don't starve by hefting and providing fondant if needed- not increasing the size of the area that they have to keep warm by "banging on a super" that will remain untouched until late April.

Guys, if you have read any decent beeking book then these Q's would not be necessary.

Keep watch on your colonies as we go into the danger period.

Ben P

It strikes me Ben, that you must despair for the older generations . . . LoL.

You tell them, because they don't seem to be listening to each other, do they? Good to see you setting a good example.

Advice from some older beekeepers in Durham is that May for a first inspection is a little reckless - these modern Beeks! :)

They're not using skeps are they ? :)

Back