weight of bees for mini nucs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm well pre my house move I had a copy of Mating in Minature by Mobus but now it seems I do not.

Anyway Mobus taught me to use a mug full of wet bees to fill one of his mini nucs. Now I know they are a little larger than the modern ones as they take four top bars in the main body with the food compartment cut for a further two if needed.

What the weight is not a clue but a standard mug works well enough.

I got them from him in 1991 I think it was so they are lasting well. Poly of course...;)

PH

Perhaps every beekeeper know, that when you put bees into same yard, bees return to the old home.
But, does every beekeeper/ 2-hive owner has distant mating yard where they move the nucs.

And when you put mere bees into a new nuc without piece of brood, bees burst out and go to search better home. If you have 10 nucs, soon bees may be all in same nuc. They do not even mind about scent of virgin.

yes. It is not so simple that just pour cupful of bees into the Apidea.

Last edited:
But if young bees are used to stock the Apidea and the bees confined with for a 3 or 4 days in the dark (with twice daily misting of water through the grill) the bees reorientate to wherever you put the mini nuc in the same apiary from which they came especially if you open the entrance in the late evening with few absconding back to the parent colony.

British Isles have lived centuries with global trading. So simple truth.
If some one does not see it, vain to explain further.
And the British have exported their unique native bees everywhere, to every continent, but no one want them.

It would seem that beekeepers in the 18th, 19th and even 20th century took bees from their best stocks with them as they colonised the planet.
That would have included the Native bee to the British isles.. Apis mellifera mellifera and also stocks of Italian and German Carniolian types of bees ?

Once released and ensconsed in the far far away lands natural selection took over doing of course what the bees wanted for their own survival... beekeepers select from bees what the beekeeper wants, keeping record is one thing the Teutonic Nation thrive on... most beekeepers I know do not even keep records on honey yield... except that... I remember getting XXX lbs of honey in XXXX, those were the days... blame " the bomb".. " global warming" .... neonicotinomides!!!!

Yeghes da

It would seem that beekeepers in the 18th, 19th and even 20th century took bees from their best stocks with them as they colonised the planet.
That would have included the Native bee to the British isles.. Apis mellifera mellifera and also stocks of Italian and German Carniolian types of bees ?

Yeghes da

Halleluja!!!! And then lets sing together Ave Maria

The first bees send to Tasmania came from a farm only a few miles away from where I now live. Having played (briefly) with their local descendants, one wishes they had sent the lot!

As an aside I recently found out how they transported bees on those 3-4 month journeys to the antipodes. They used a large barrel lined with insulation and three skeps of bees in the top part. Ice was put in the bottom and they remained in winter cluster throughout their journey over the equator.

The first bees send to Tasmania came from a farm only a few miles away from where I now live. Having played (briefly) with their local descendants, one wishes they had sent the lot!

As an aside I recently found out how they transported bees on those 3-4 month journeys to the antipodes. They used a large barrel lined with insulation and three skeps of bees in the top part. Ice was put in the bottom and they remained in winter cluster throughout their journey over the equator.

That would be the Italian bees as the Amm that are of Irish descent live in the center and forage on the rapidly disappearing Leatherwood trees.

( A Launceston base beekeeper told me so )
Yeghes da

Latest posts

Back