Weighing Bee Hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feed mine to weight too
I have metal eyes on two sides of the floor and weigh each half with luggage scales.

Thanks for posting that Michael, it looks a great method.

I wonder, do you come back and remove the feeder box and the empty cans before April, or do you leave them on until then? I suppose it may depend on how long it generally takes for them to empty the cans.

Thanks.

Mad system. When hives are not insulated, they need 50 kg sugar for winter. It needs 3 boxes.

My hives in Finland consume in 9 months 20 kg sugar on average.

Har⁷d to weigh those.

Thanks for posting that Michael, it looks a great method.

I wonder, do you come back and remove the feeder box and the empty cans before April, or do you leave them on until then? I suppose it may depend on how long it generally takes for them to empty the cans.

Thanks.

I don't leave the cans on for the winter. The syrup is gone in a week so we take the cans, insulate the crown board, give an upper...gasp...entrance, and wrap with black felt paper.

, give an upper...gasp...entrance, and wrap with black felt paper.

I noticed you had a round entrance on your upper boxes. Where I live they are known as Yorkshire entrances and are in the middle of the a single brood box . Designed for the bad winters we used to get in the early 1900s, so always flying access.
Mate of mine has a couple that date back to to 1910 and still in use.

In Yorkshire ? ...:
Sorry to poop on your County stereotype party.
Surrey.
Historical beekeeping fan. But keeps modern genetics as he wants honey.
Bet the longnecks stole the 100 year old frames from the Yorkshire craftsmen who made the 100 year old hives that are still in use today.. :D

Last edited:
Sorry to poop on your County stereotype party.
Surrey.
Historical beekeeping fan. But keeps modern genetics as he wants honey.
Bet the longnecks stole the 100 year old frames from the Yorkshire craftsmen who made the 100 year old hives that are still in use today.. :D

Must have some Yorkshire ancestry in his tree somewhere ! Takes one to know one ... I've been away nigh on 50 years but I'm still coming home as I cross the border at Chesterfield ...

Back