Wear White Only

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Last night my friend was at the local BKA on the beginners theory course. She asked - "Is there a scientific reason why white is worn?" The reply......"If you want to do it properly, get white"

Other opinions are available and I'd like to be able to show my friend a less conformist point of view..........

Frisbee

Really? I just bought a new suit back from Australia and that has stayed white for all good of a few minutes, its now filthy from a weeks worth of work. Bee's dont seem to care and I have used Camo suits in the past no issues?

I work without a suit a lot of the times, sometimes topless and I have no issues.

If you don't want to draw attention to yourself, because for example your hives are close to a public thoroughfare and may be interfered with - get a DPM (camouflage) suit.

Edit - beaten to it!

With the amount of hives being stolen at present i would think keeping as low a profile as possible was good idea . I use the buff BBWear one but have camo too .

Black

White is easier to see the bees. Bees seem to be less aggitated by it.
But then my suit is biscuit brown for the above reasons. I don't wish to draw attention to my locations.

As for DPM etc.. camoflauge,, you cannot see the bees on it, and if it has black in the pattern, the bees don't like them. And unless you are in forrest you still stick out like a sore thumb in afield in it.

I would say, either the light blue or buisit colours that are on offer are nice, but you don't have to keep with white.

Really? I just bought a new suit back from Australia and that has stayed white for all good of a few minutes, its now filthy from a weeks worth of work. Bee's dont seem to care and I have used Camo suits in the past no issues?
I work without a suit a lot of the times, sometimes topless and I have no issues.
There was once an advertisement for a dry cleaning chain which illustrated the way we would all look if we were to wear white suits .It was just as you described :). Point being 'Not looking dirty doesn't mean it isn't dirty ' :D

VM

During a number of courses I have noticed that the white suits tend to have more bees on them than the beige ones.

Possibly it comes from the idea that if you're handling food you should wear something that shows the dirt, for the purpose of hygiene.

wore a dark brown one year before last and now off white one, couldnt see any difference in the reception from the bees.

I bought a camo jacket with veil when I started beekeeping 3 years ago. No need to tell the neighbours and the kids in the school 150 metres away we have hives...

Bees do not appear to give a rat's derriere what colour you wear as long as it's not black.

(I get followed in a black fleece - I assume the bees think I'm a bear...)

One hive took a dislike to a black fleece while mowing nearby. Otherwise not had a problem with white(ish) or camouflaged. Many around here favour sage green or buff. Appears to be the texture is more important than the colour but remember the bee colour vision is not the same as ours.

Last edited:
Bees do not appear to give a rat's derriere what colour you wear as long as it's not black.

Had no idea they didn't like black; I usually garden in black and am always squatting down watching and chatting to them. They never said . . . . .
:leaving:

Had no idea they didn't like black; I usually garden in black and am always squatting down watching and chatting to them. They never said . . . . .
:leaving:

Your bees don't speak to you then?

:cool:

The colour is not nearly as important as some would have you think.

I wear yellow ones. My manager prefers the lilac shade. We have the olive as our standard suit, but some have the biscuit brown or the apricot. No difference apparent. Year ago we almost all had navy ones.....yet again no probs..........

Someone mentioned texture as an issue and endorse that completely. Wooly beesuit anyone?

Utter nonsense. I have a white smock and a green suit. Neither is better than the other from the point of view of colour. Simply fascists who probably are in power at the bowls club as well...

I bought a camo jacket with veil when I started beekeeping 3 years ago. No need to tell the neighbours and the kids in the school 150 metres away we have hives...

(I get followed in a black fleece - I assume the bees think I'm a bear...)

Not a sheep?

Latest posts

Back