weald farm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How can one find out if he's VAT registered (other than try to send more Emails)?

I'd like to get back the 20% VAT I've paid!!!

Is there any way someone could let me know who this weald place geezer is? I know you can't name on the forum, but I'm going to be buy equipment soon ( hopefully ) and don't want to struggle for money, only to give it to some arse hole who's just collecting cheques and supplying naff all

Is there any way someone could let me know who this weald place geezer is? I know you can't name on the forum, but I'm going to be buy equipment soon ( hopefully ) and don't want to struggle for money, only to give it to some arse hole who's just collecting cheques and supplying naff all

weald place farms William Alldis Owner

Thanks guys. Like I said to Veg, I would have thought this looked a nice little business too :(

How can one find out if he's VAT registered (other than try to send more Emails)?

Did he give you a receipt stating VAT value paid on it? If so, I'm not sure but trading standards and HMRC might be interested in knowing about it if he hasn't passed it on (I might be wrong but think they'd class it as fraud and that may slow his 'business' operations in future if so:reddevil:)

I bought some polystyrene nucleus hives hives of WPFB at the BBKA Spring Convention. At the time he was selling them on line and charging VAT.

When I bought the nucleus hives I asked for his VAT number and he said the paperwork was still in progress. I Emailed William about his vat number a couple of weeks ago and did not get a reply.

Does anyone know what his VAT number is?

If he has deducted VAT, he should be registered. I think HMRC might be interested that you were charged VAT, because I doubt he has paid it.

Which of you stung by him want to make that call? Perhaps all of you charged VAT should make it.

Did he give you a receipt stating VAT value paid on it? If so, I'm not sure but trading standards and HMRC might be interested in knowing about it if he hasn't passed it on (I might be wrong but think they'd class it as fraud and that may slow his 'business' operations in future if so:reddevil:)

HMRC isn't like the IRS, but they can seriously eff you up if they feel like it.

If you call in HMRC on him and he owes them x amount none of you will ever see your money or orders :eek:

Unless you have his VAT number, the only way to check is to ring up HMRC. You cannot check online if a company is or isn't, you can only check their number. Its all to do with the data protection rubbish.

Did he give you a receipt stating VAT value paid on it? If so, I'm not sure but trading standards and HMRC might be interested in knowing about it if he hasn't passed it on (I might be wrong but think they'd class it as fraud and that may slow his 'business' operations in future if so

Lets not get to carried away here. I've just checked my Tesco receipt from yesterday and the VAT breakdown isn't on there.
The requirement is, below £250 their is no requirement to issue a VAT receipt, with a VAT breakdown. Above £250 its mandatory. So, if Oxfordbee's order was less than £250, a vat receipt is not required. But, it should carry the vat number, and the companies registered address.

:eek:
Lets not get to carried away here. I've just checked my Tesco receipt from yesterday and the VAT breakdown isn't on there.
The requirement is, below £250 their is no requirement to issue a VAT receipt, with a VAT breakdown. Above £250 its mandatory. So, if Oxfordbee's order was less than £250, a vat receipt is not required. But, it should carry the vat number, and the companies registered address.

Tesco recipts do carry a VAT number on the back so VAT can be reclaimed using the VAT fraction to calculate the VAT paid. B&Q receipts contain a VAT breakdown which is handy.

I just got a page out of an invoice book from WPFB. It had no company address or VAT number on it. It was a hand written receipt, I don't mind that. I would like his VAT number though!

As an aside, an advert for Correx nucs on Ebay does indeed state: VAT will apply to any orders over 30. Hmm... if you are VAT registered don't you have to charge VAT on ALL goods and services provided? I don't think you can pick and choose...

Finally thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. Your support has been most appreciated... ;)

Last edited:
Actually the Tesco receipts are a bit more complex than that as we discovered when we bought some televisions from them. It pays to go to the customer service desk and ask for a VAT receipt and then the puzzle starts as the VAT on £200 is not 20%!

PH

All VAT registered businesses are required to issue a VAT receipt to VAT registered businesses that purchase goods or services from them when requested to do so. The minimum requirement, well to satisfy my accountant is the receipt should contain the businesses VAT No. trading name , a invoice number and the total charged for the goods or services.

Having said all that it can be extremely difficult to get a valid VAT receipt from some businesses even when one is requested. Getting blood from a stone is easier than getting a VAT receipt from some ebay sellers in particular, also when it comes to beekeeping goods Paynes Bee Farm seem very loath to issue them even when they are requested to do so. So this issue is not at all limited to WPF.

Tesco usually gives its prices INCLUDING VAT at the going rate.
So a £200 item at 20% will include about £33 VAT being 20% of (approx) £167 added to the ex-VAT cost of £167....I think.

unfortunately Scunthorpe is a bit too far to travel to intimidate him into giving you your cash back. When i met him, i left him clear in the knowledge that if my Bees were not ready on time, he may need to be drip fed for a few weeks to keep his strength up. I also let him know i was on his door step and willing to cause him mucho grief. My bees were ready on time when no one else's were! :reddevil:
Can you come and sort my neighbour out, please, Winker? not worthy

VAT on the "gross price" is not the VAT rate of the "net" price.
At 17.5% the "VAT fraction" was 7/47 of the VAT inclusive total. The new TV from Tesco should attract VAT at the new rate (if bought after January this year) which is 1/6 of £200. There is something weird about insurance and VAT - that may have affected the price if there was some form of insurance bundled with it.
£200 is 120% of the total, and the VAT is 20% of that (think about it as 20% of 120%).
You can call HMRC and verify if a VAT number is real or not. There used to be a formula for them, but that was stopped after the numbers that it it ran out.
Yes - unless the rules have changed since I was a student once VAT registered you have to charge VAT on all sales that are subject to VAT, there is no de minimus level.
Mind you - I don't know the specifics but HMRC notice 701/15 says that livestock (which includes honeybees) is zero rated. In other words, they attract VAT but at 0%. So you can still have a VAT invoice for them, it would just show the VAT rate of 0%.
Hives, hive tools, foundation, smokers, all the rest of beekeeping paraphernalia will attract VAT at the prevailing rate of 20%.
Any size of business can register for VAT, but you MUST register if your VAT taxable turnover exceeds £73,000.
It's an offence to pretend to be VAT registered, and apparently charge VAT to a customer and then not hand it over to HMRC. It would also be an offence to be VAT registered and not pay the VAT you owe to HMRC over. I think we should be very careful not to make allegations of crime on here; we are not in any way in possession of the facts. I, for one, can't work out if VAT has been charged or not from the posts above.
Valid VAT invoices are a little complex, and only important if you wish to reclaim the VAT through your VAT registered business. HMRC sets it all out nicely (just google HMRC valid VAT invoices must show).

NM

PS - I am not convinced about the use of threats of violence. I think you may find there are laws about that too...

Last edited:
A VAT registered company MUST give the VAT number on the invoice. However bees don't have VAT on them. (Bees in a Nuc I understand are VAT free) Hives do have VAT.

[There was a long-term argument between one of the large food producers and the 'VAT man' concerning Jaffa cakes - whether it was a biscuit or a cake as one kind of foodstuff has VAT on them and one doesn't! I don't recall the outcome Nose Ma may remember ?].

If there is a problem with VAT, HM Customs and Revenue will be very keen to investigate. My own business has occasional routine VAT inspections, and the inspectors are very good - in as much as you feel raped afterwards.

Oldtimer - if you can get 'goods to the value of' and you're happy then as a pragmatic approach its worth doing I would say.

The threat of physical violence is just stupid.

Now is this the time to put in a link from the Life of Brian? "Next time you call me big nose I'll ......"

Last edited:
Back