weald farm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldtimer

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
he gave me a cheque which bounced 3 times he will not answer phone calls ive left him messages ive also gave him an alternative off a national hive flat pack to see if that will work as i dont think il get money out off him do you think ive done right to offer him a get out:party:

Possibly at this time I would consider anything I could get out of him a plus, as realistically it looks like you aren't going to get your money, does it?! I mean, he should be refunding your money (I do think this is where we should have the laws like Italy, making writing a rubber cheque illegal) but how likely are you to get it, even if you go the small claims route. If you are happy with goods instead (especially since he seems to still have these to sell on fleabay) then I don't see why you should be thought of any less for it.

Go to his place and remove goods to the value of what he owes I usually find this works.

I think its illegal to issue a cheque if you know it will bounce in the UK.
It's fraud.

Problem would possibly be proving that he knew it would bounce tough! Considering what has been said previously about his invoice skills I don't think his general bookkeeping is going to be any better really, do you? (legal/audit aspects aside as I have a feeling it would have mysteriously folded at the first whiff of auditing anyway by the sounds of things!)

Several years ago a friend who was upset with her then boyfriend who was cheating on her and decided to take her revenge. All on the same day she ordered two skips and lorry load of mature to be delivered on the drive and lawn and got some one to turn off the water supply from the stop cock, cut his phone line and glue his door lock up.

Revenge doesn't pay as she spent the night in a cell after also beating him black and blue but she said it was worth it as it cost him a fair bit to sort out. :eek:

Several years ago a friend who was upset with her then boyfriend who was cheating on her and decided to take her revenge. All on the same day she ordered two skips and lorry load of mature to be delivered on the drive and lawn and got some one to turn off the water supply from the stop cock, cut his phone line and glue his door lock up.

Revenge doesn't pay as she spent the night in a cell after also beating him black and blue but she said it was worth it as it cost him a fair bit to sort out. :eek:

I wouldn't have bothered beating him up (not worth getting caught), but I would have probably put some fast drying concrete in the stop-cock hole after it had been turned off :Angel_anim: (if you're going to go to all the trouble, you may as well do it properly ;) I couldn't be bothered to go to all that hassle in the first place though, I've learned to just be grateful to have people like that out of my life)

But don't get caught!

Perhaps televisions "Rogue Traders" programme might like to take him on on behalf of the beekeeping fraternity ?.

A solicitors letter often helps.
It may cost you more than the amount he owes you but could be worth it for the satisfaction of him coughing up.

A solicitors letter often helps.
It may cost you more than the amount he owes you but could be worth it for the satisfaction of him coughing up.

There seem to be a few misapprehensions here about one's rights when cheated by a trader. Without going into details (though I'd happily PM them to the curious) I was cheated by a well known high street trader three or four years ago. Immediately I realised this ( just two days after the event ) I contacted Trading Standards who agreed that there was a problem and told me exactly what to write to the trader. There was no response within the time frame given so I did as TS told me and went through the Small Claims Court process. It cost me around £70 to do this, additional to the several hundred I had lost. I won the case and was awarded a CCJ against the company, but no payment was forthcoming. When I asked what I could do to enforce payment it involved a ton more paperwork, another £70, and still no real guarantee of payment. Around this time I paid another £8 to one of the online Government agencies to see what other CCJs were outstanding against this Company, and was rewarded with a list eight pages long of other people in the same situation. They could afford to pay, they are a very prosperous company, but couldn't give a ..... for the law. I persevered (I'm pretty bloody-minded if crossed) and eventually after jumping through more hoops I was given a date when I would appear before the Court, along with their representative to answer the case. The day before I had a letter from a solicitor saying the court appearance had been cancelled and enclosing a cheque for half of the original claim. Well I'm not so green - I turned up at court, they didn't. The Judge went through it all meticulously, found in my favour, told me to cash the cheque I had and did whatever he had to do to charge them the balance, plus all costs, plus another £50 because in one letter they had called me a liar when I was telling the truth. What he did worked because another cheque came two days later - he must have put the frighteners on them.
The reason I tell all is that you have to be very, very persistent to get money you are owed, and it costs to do so. This was a large 'By Appointment' company that couldn't just disappear or go broke. If you think it would be so 'easy' to get your money back from William you're deluded. Sorry!
:nopity:

also pays to always pay by credit card, even if it is only a £1 deposit - so long as purchase costs over £100 you're covered.

also pays to always pay by credit card, even if it is only a £1 deposit - so long as purchase costs over £100 you're covered.

but he does not take credit cards, so all you have is paypals 45 days and CCJ

and he is trading as a ltd company of £1 plus assest= almost zilch as i suspect he has these on credit from the suppliers

he gave me a cheque which bounced 3 times he will not answer phone calls ive left him messages ive also gave him an alternative off a national hive flat pack to see if that will work as i dont think il get money out off him do you think ive done right to offer him a get out:party:

unfortunately Scunthorpe is a bit too far to travel to intimidate him into giving you your cash back. When i met him, i left him clear in the knowledge that if my Bees were not ready on time, he may need to be drip fed for a few weeks to keep his strength up. I also let him know i was on his door step and willing to cause him mucho grief. My bees were ready on time when no one else's were! :reddevil:

I bought some polystyrene nucleus hives hives of WPFB at the BBKA Spring Convention. At the time he was selling them on line and charging VAT.

When I bought the nucleus hives I asked for his VAT number and he said the paperwork was still in progress. I Emailed William about his vat number a couple of weeks ago and did not get a reply.

Does anyone know what his VAT number is?

:eek:
I bought some polystyrene nucleus hives hives of WPFB at the BBKA Spring Convention. At the time he was selling them on line and charging VAT.

When I bought the nucleus hives I asked for his VAT number and he said the paperwork was still in progress. I Emailed William about his vat number a couple of weeks ago and did not get a reply.

Does anyone know what his VAT number is?

He does not give out any paper work on any of his sales to find out... No Receipt no proof, his his way of doing business...

Hmm .... should he be charging VAT then??

Last edited:
Back