Wax for showing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minxpinx

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
This year I thought that I'd have a bash at entering wax into our local honey show. I have been saving up the cappings, have washed and filtered it a few times so I have got nice clean wax. The bit I'm having trouble with is casting into a cake that looks presentable. I've been using a Pyrex bowel, which will give me the right size for the class. I have wiped a small amount of washing up liquid in it to help with getting it out. The first time I tried pouring in the melted wax, but as soon as it hit the bottom of the bowl it set, so I got some weird swirls in it. The next time I heated the bowl in the oven to prevent that problem. I poured in the wax, then put the bowl into the oven (now off) to cool slowly. When I took it out the sides are nice and smooth, but the bit in the bottom of the bowl is uneven and almost white. The top surface also has lots of tiny air bubbles in it.
I'd really appreciate any advice that would improve on my efforts.

Thank you

the bit in the bottom of the bowl is uneven and almost white

Too much fairy liquid, that has gravitated to the lowest point given the very slow freezing, I expect.

Try pouring nearer the melting point of the wax and remove from the oven, as cooling in air should be OK.

This year I thought that I'd have a bash at entering wax into our local honey show. I have been saving up the cappings, have washed and filtered it a few times so I have got nice clean wax. The bit I'm having trouble with is casting into a cake that looks presentable. I've been using a Pyrex bowel, which will give me the right size for the class. I have wiped a small amount of washing up liquid in it to help with getting it out. The first time I tried pouring in the melted wax, but as soon as it hit the bottom of the bowl it set, so I got some weird swirls in it. The next time I heated the bowl in the oven to prevent that problem. I poured in the wax, then put the bowl into the oven (now off) to cool slowly. When I took it out the sides are nice and smooth, but the bit in the bottom of the bowl is uneven and almost white. The top surface also has lots of tiny air bubbles in it.
I'd really appreciate any advice that would improve on my efforts.

Thank you

Hi Try standing your glass dish in a bowl of very hot water pour your wax into the dish then put a piece of Hot glass over the top and let it all cool together worked for me 30years ago good luck

When it has set and cooled submerge it in a bowl full of rain water and if you are lucky it should float out. As Oliver said if you have to much fairy liquid in the bowl it will mark it put it in but wipe it round well then wipe it out.

After leaving jug of wax to stand whilst heavy particles sink (they aren't always visible ) sting jug in a shallow dish of iced water this will freeze a couple of centimetres of wax ,thus trapping the said particle , pour as above . This prevents any specks falling to the bottom of the mould and subsequently showing on the turned out exhibit !
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone for your advice. I'll give it another go tomorrow!

After leaving jug of wax to stand whilst heavy particles sink (they aren't always visible ) sting jug in a shallow dish of iced water this will freeze a couple of centimetres of wax ,thus trapping the said particle , pour as above . This prevents any specks falling to the bottom of the mould and subsequently showing on the turned out exhibit !
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I always melted my show wax in an old stone jar in a water bath and filtered it by tying boracic lint over the neck. just one point when you pour the wax into the dish make the water in the bowel up above the level of the wax in the dish but don't float the dish and make certain it is on a level surface.

I'll leave that to you JBM, frankly I can't be bothered doing all that and will just admire those who do

Latest posts

Back