Wax exchange

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cinnamon

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've rendered about a kilo of wax, so it's not a huge amount. Not sure what to use it for. Those of you who exchanged the wax for foundation sheets, is it worth the hassle? Or should I try to be creative and make block candles or something?

The wax is from both the cappings and the broken combs but i've double filtered it as best as possible.

Wax won’t go off so keep till you have a decent quantity, cash exchange rate at any of the suppliers really is crap. Pay the wiring fee if you exchange for foundation. If you are exchanging a single filter is fine for most. Plenty are making those wax wraps or polish so maybe gumtree type site may see a decent price obtained privately.

Worth as much as honey for nice clean beeswax wax.

Getting in excess of £15 + VAT per kilo from one buyer who wants as much best quality Cornish beeswax produced by Native Cornish black bees they can get!

Worth as much as honey for nice clean beeswax wax.

Getting in excess of £15 + VAT per kilo from one buyer who wants as much

You're giving it away - one bee farmer in the marches is selling it for that much per pound

What do the people who pay £18 or more a kilo do with the wax?

What do the people who pay £18 or more a kilo do with the wax?

Mine was a "special" delivery for an ecclesiastical supplier looking for best quality wax to fulfill and order for large church candles.

On an aside...

The wax wrappers need to be aware that their product made from cotton rags beeswax and jojoba oil is ONLY suitable for wrapping veggies... excluding cooked rice which is No 1 for causing food poisoning.... and must under no circumstances used for fish, meat and dairy.
I have discussed this with Cornwall Trading Standards who seem have taken note and suggested anyone selling them should advise the buyer of the risks and correct method of use.
Under the precautionary principle we will not sell wax to anyone intending to make them.... hopefully the fad will die out before anyone gets botulism!

Mine was a "special" delivery for an ecclesiastical supplier looking for best quality wax to fulfill and order for large church candles.

On an aside...

The wax wrappers need to be aware that their product made from cotton rags beeswax and jojoba oil is ONLY suitable for wrapping veggies... excluding cooked rice which is No 1 for causing food poisoning.... and must under no circumstances used for fish, meat and dairy.
I have discussed this with Cornwall Trading Standards who seem have taken note and suggested anyone selling them should advise the buyer of the risks and correct method of use.
Under the precautionary principle we will not sell wax to anyone intending to make them.... hopefully the fad will die out before anyone gets botulism!
Used it for wrapping cheese absolutely fine, providing you clean it between uses. Calling it a fad is a bit harsh when people are simply trying to reduce the amount of single use plastic waste in their lives...

Very interesting how much the price varies but I'm sure, like anything, it depends on the quality of the wax.

I may just make some candles and give them as Christmas presents. I'll see if there's anything interesting on Pinterest for DIY candle moulds :xmas-smiley-033: :xmas-smiley-033:

Well I swap mine for foundation. Tried candles, failure, I use foundation and don't need the wax so it seems fair to me to just swap it.
E

There’s a guy in our association who does well out of making candles. I think if you have that kind of flare you do well. Also furniture polish. I have a waiting list of people who want to buy furniture polish from me. Dead easy and cheap to make and T****s even sell plastic polish containers at a very reasonable cost.

There’s a guy in our association who does well out of making candles. I think if you have that kind of flare you do well. Also furniture polish. I have a waiting list of people who want to buy furniture polish from me. Dead easy and cheap to make and T****s even sell plastic polish containers at a very reasonable cost.

Share recipe pretty please? ;):nature-smiley-013:

£18 a pound? mmmmm:sifone:

SWMBO has mine for her soap.
Beeswax & Lemongrass was a best seller with the NT right up until they wanted her to sell it for less than it cost her to make (with the free wax)!

She just sells it locally now, when she has a batch it usually gets shifted pretty quickly.

Used it for wrapping cheese absolutely fine, providing you clean it between uses. Calling it a fad is a bit harsh when people are simply trying to reduce the amount of single use plastic waste in their lives...

I buy greaseproofpaper from out butcher... large sheets used for everything from sandwich and cake wrapping to putting between the supers, before and after extraction.... and really cheap and 100% recyclable!

Equal amounts of beeswax, linseed oil and turpentine. You can also skip the linseed and do with just 50/50 beeswax and turpentine but it’s nicer with the linseed. Heat gently and stir well in a bane Marie (double boiler is another name). Obviously be careful with the turpentine if using a gas hob, you might want to add the turps last after you’ve mixed the other two and turned the ring off. There’s plenty of videos on YouTube showing how to do it.

Equal amounts of beeswax, linseed oil and turpentine. You can also skip the linseed and do with just 50/50 beeswax and turpentine but it’s nicer with the linseed. Heat gently and stir well in a bane Marie (double boiler is another name). Obviously be careful with the turpentine if using a gas hob, you might want to add the turps last after you’ve mixed the other two and turned the ring off. There’s plenty of videos on YouTube showing how to do it.

Just for clarification I take it that is real turpentine and NOT white spirit (turps substitute) .

Just for clarification I take it that is real turpentine and NOT white spirit (turps substitute) .

I’ve seen people say it’s possible to use white spirit, but the people that buy seem to think turps is more authentic. It’s an old, old recipe cabinet makers have been using for a long time apparently. People pay a premium for ‘authentic ‘.

Latest posts

Back