Wasps !!!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20 colonies, 40 Hives
I just walked in the door and my neighbour came whizzing round to tell me she has a swarm of Bee's in her hedge....

I've had a quick look :eek:, And No !!!! There is a wasps nest in the hedge , not more than 30 yards from the two Hives, I have in the garden !!!!!!!
There are also a few Wasps float about near my Hives , just seem to be checking thing's out.... At the moment !!!

The Lady next door has asked if I can do anything with her Wasps....

I do have some nasty powder I can shoot in the nest tonight ' but is this gonna harm my Bee's 30 yards away ?

Quick foot note... I am a new Bee , only had bee's for about six weeks , so please advise me...

Last edited:
Have no idea but perhaps you could say what the nasty powder is so that people who know more than I do can advise you. Failing that you could always ring the makers of the powder and ask them.

what'll kill wasps I would imagine kill bees. Pest controllers have to/are supposed to make sure that there is no access for any thing after destroying wasps etc or nothing left of the resulting chaos that is accessable.

Jed if the nest is secured in such a way that you can get the whole thing into a bin bag without too much fuss - wqait until the evening when they're all back in the nest get it into the bin bag and tie the neck then put the whole lot into the freezer overnight - you've then also got a whole clean wasps nest the kids can take to school to show.

Jed if the nest is secured in such a way that you can get the whole thing into a bin bag without too much fuss - wqait until the evening when they're all back in the nest get it into the bin bag and tie the neck then put the whole lot into the freezer overnight - you've then also got a whole clean wasps nest the kids can take to school to show.

which will be full of dead wasps, and dead wasp grubs, yummy!!

which will be full of dead wasps, and dead wasp grubs, yummy!!

Dead grubs - yes. Dead wasps - not necessarily.

As part of our research we repeatedly froze (down to -20°C) and thawed a queen wasp a dozen times with no lasting effect bar her becoming tired. I could not guarantee therefore that the wasps would die from being frozen. Might end up with a bit of a nasty surprise.

Not done it myself but I've seen it suggested on this forum. Of course you could always after freezing to make sure they are dead the nasty powder could then be sprinkled into the bag (not much danger of it getting at the bees then)
funnily enough I was shown a fragment of a wasps nest last year that had sat on this person's windowsill (outside) for more than a week - when I pulled pen a few of the near emerging cells they were still alive.

what'll kill wasps I would imagine kill bees. Pest controllers have to/are supposed to make sure that there is no access for any thing after destroying wasps etc or nothing left of the resulting chaos that is accessable.

think you have that the wrong way round.

on the very rare occassion a pestie was asked to remove a bee's nest, he must make sure all entry/exit points are blocked up after, to stop robbing bees from coming into contact with treated areas,

there is no such need when treating wasp's nests

you would'ent want to treat the wasps with a powder, as being so close to your hives, cross contamination cannot be ruled out, plus it must not come into contact with water/rivers/ponds, its also harmful to foliage, if your not a full time pestie, Id recomend you get rid of it, safely of course, as if its "ficam" which is the strongest, you could land up in trouble at a later date,

you'd be far better using some form of pesticide in an emulsion, as its oil based it instantly sticks and knocks down, the dustbin bag/rubble sack would be good, followed by a can of "wasp nest destroyer" purchased from aldi's,

Find out where the entrance is (have a close look during the day). :nature-smiley-011:

Then, (after dark) use a foaming wasp nest killer. Fill the entrance with the foam and empty the remainder over the outside of the nest. As per the instructions on the can, simples!:chillpill:

Took one out of the garage last summer, dropped it into a bin bag in the evening and then half a cup of petrol. no more wasps, the vapour kills them and nothing bees will go near.

Took one out of the garage last summer, dropped it into a bin bag in the evening and then half a cup of petrol. no more wasps, the vapour kills them and nothing bees will go near.

Half a cup of petrol!?
Are you a millionaire??
:biggrinjester:

I'd suit up and drop a bit of petrol on the nest. As its paper it'll soak up nicely and kill the lot.

Baggy

Wow, lots of info there.
The nastly powder I mentioned was made by Doff ( Wasp Nest Killer )
Anyway after sending Mr Doff an email , He / She said " Don't get it anywhere your Bee's "

So under the cover of darkness , I filled the entrance of the nest with powder.
Next morning , the wasps are no longer living next door. My Neighbour can cut the grass again.

Job done. Bee's are still whizzing about.not worthy
Thanks to everyone that chipped in here , I was having a bit of a panic:willy_nilly:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back